News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
When the story of Louis' trumpet first came out, it was mercilessly mocked on these here forums.

Glad to see that people now appreciate that story line.
I think now it's a "Lesser of two evils" scenario. We didn't think that the "Travel the river hunting trumpet but uh oh Facilier interferes" story fit Splash, but at least it sounds more interesting than "Tianas business empire takes you to the salt mine"

MerlinTheGoat

Much as I'm all for keeping animatronics - as I've said before - in and of themselves they don't make a great ride.
Lots of animatronics in a bad concept, with poor execution won't make this ride better than losing half of them if the ride was overall better if done another way.
As in key characters and elements that made the film fun, including the original music.
The claim I was told was that the ride overall is impressing people. I'm personally fixated on the animatronics, but the story and music they're going with has apparently had high praise from people who were previously extremely negative about this overhaul. I have also brought up the concern that even if they kept all the AA's, it doesn't mean it will work well with the new concept. But apparently people believe this is being addressed and incorporated in a way that will please many.

And yeah, the Trumpet storyline was indeed shared here and hated by pretty much everyone. I would have preferred a straight book report ride over that by far. Especially since the two best characters in the movie (Ray and Facilier) still wouldn't make physical appearances. I'm obviously still very skeptical about this overhaul and again am only operating on second/third hand information from others who know more. But their prior negativity lines up with my own. And whatever they learned about the ride in the past month or two has somehow caused a complete 180 on their opinion. I'll also say that for such a radical shift in opinion to be possible for them, it would require something rather impressive.

It's being stated to be a "worthy replacement" (at least for the Disneyland variant). So my own disbelief aside, i'll at least wait and see what they do with it. And trust me, if this ends up being BS, you won't hear the end of it from me.

Also, Tony Baxter supposedly IS involved in some sort of substantial creative capacity. To what extent I don't know, but enough to have been brought up as a reason to be optimistic. Many of us assumed he had no actual involvement other than serving as a marketing mouthpiece. They also said it had a far healthier budget now after the initial negative reception.

On a personal note (and no this isn't me sharing any information), I HOPE the salt mine theme is largely an exterior thing and doesn't encompass the entirety of the interior of the show scenes. It would make for a very boring setting if the entire ride is just inside of a salt mine. I have to assume they'll have better sense than this at least...

I REALLY hope I don't anger the source behind this though, but I also really hope they're correct. There's scarce hope to be had these days regarding Disney attractions. And every once in a while, if there's any possibility to be less miserable, I think it's better for all of us...

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I believe Disney stated the ride would have a new soundtrack since it's a sequel ride
I believe it is the same melodies with new lyrics. At least, I hope that’s still the plan. Otherwise, to hell with the whole thing.

“Louie lost his trumpet!” sounds like a storyline for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on Disney Jr. Surely we can do better.

Ah yes…sourcing local ingredients from a salt mine for my co-op. And…go!

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
For the record, the series, music and new characters seem to be extremely well received from people who have seen/heard tests. And people who were extremely negative about this overhaul are now becoming happy with it (again aside from the salt mine exterior). Assuming again that any of this second/third hand info is correct. It's not my own first hand knowledge.
The claim I was told was that the ride overall is impressing people. I'm personally fixated on the animatronics, but the story and music they're going with has apparently had high praise from people who were previously extremely negative about this overhaul. I have also brought up the concern that even if they kept all the AA's, it doesn't mean it will work well with the new concept. But apparently people believe this is being addressed and incorporated in a way that will please many.

And yeah, the Trumpet storyline was indeed shared here and hated by pretty much everyone. I would have preferred a straight book report ride over that by far. Especially since the two best characters in the movie (Ray and Facilier) still wouldn't make physical appearances. I'm obviously still very skeptical about this overhaul and again am only operating on second/third hand information from others who know more. But their prior negativity lines up with my own. And whatever they learned about the ride in the past month or two has somehow caused a complete 180 on their opinion. I'll also say that for such a radical shift in opinion to be possible for them, it would require something rather impressive.

It's being stated to be a "worthy replacement" (at least for the Disneyland variant). So my own disbelief aside, i'll at least wait and see what they do with it. And trust me, if this ends up being BS, you won't hear the end of it from me.

Also, Tony Baxter supposedly IS involved in some sort of substantial creative capacity. To what extent I don't know, but enough to have been brought up as a reason to be optimistic. Many of us assumed he had no actual involvement other than serving as a marketing mouthpiece. They also said it had a far healthier budget now after the initial negative reception.

On a personal note (and no this isn't me sharing any information), I HOPE the salt mine theme is largely an exterior thing and doesn't encompass the entirety of the interior of the show scenes. It would make for a very boring setting if the entire ride is just inside of a salt mine. I have to assume they'll have better sense than this at least...

I REALLY hope I don't anger the source behind this though, but I also really hope they're correct. There's scarce hope to be had these days regarding Disney attractions. And every once in a while, if there's any possibility to be less miserable, I think it's better for all of us...
I’m gonna take that with a grain of salt (mine). Who knows what’s going on behind the scenes right now?

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

For the record, the series, music and new characters seem to be extremely well received from people who have seen/heard tests. And people who were extremely negative about this overhaul are now becoming happy with it (again aside from the salt mine exterior). Assuming again that any of this second/third hand info is correct. It's not my own first hand knowledge.
Let’s hope these are not the same people who approved Harmonious…

_caleb

Reminder that "backstory" is to guide Imagineers as they develop a concept. It's not the same as story, which is what the ride "tells" guests though experience and exposition.

The salt mine, co-op, and even Eudora's Chic Boutique are all rooted in a backstory. The storyline of the actual ride may not explore, discuss, or acknowledge any of this.

I think they overshared at D23, but maybe they assumed fans would know the difference.

Fox&Hound

Well, thank you for the hope you are providing. Just curious, but did your sources say why Facilier and Ray were dropped? "Friends on the Other side" while going up the lift hill was a shoe-in that most were at least excited by....

MerlinTheGoat

Well, thank you for the hope you are providing. Just curious, but did your sources say why Facilier and Ray were dropped? "Friends on the Other side" while going up the lift hill was a shoe-in that most were at least excited by....
I don't know anything more about the "Trumpet" version of the ride than anyone else. Just working with Jim Hill's description. As far as i'm aware, it occurs after the events of the film. Basically Tiana wouldn't be a frog and would only appear as a human alongside Navine, while she and the other characters try to help Louis find the trumpet for some sort of Mardi Gras party or something. Anyone who has seen the movie can probably figure out why Ray and Facilier making physical appearances in the ride would be odd (outside of the latter's shadow or something).

MerlinTheGoat

"No Jim" doesn't necessarily mean "no Ray."
I doubt they would have Ray without Cummings. He always seems to be on speed dial for whatever role they need him for. If Ray was in the ride, I am pretty confident they would ask him to return and he'd gladly say yes. And again, have people here not seen the movie? The only way having Ray and Facilier (outside of his shadow) makes sense is if the ride occurs during or prior to the movie's events. This isn't me speaking from any sort of inside knowledge or anything, just the story logic.

Spoiler tagging isn't working for some reason. Trying to be as vague as possible here, but it's pretty easy to see what i'm talking about...

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I doubt they would have Ray without Cummings. And again, have people here not seen the movie? The only way having Ray and Facilier (outside of his shadow) makes sense is if the ride occurs during or prior to the movie's events. This isn't me speaking from any sort of inside knowledge or anything, just the story logic.

Spoiler tagging isn't working for some reason. Trying to be as vague as possible here, but it's pretty easy to see what i'm talking about...
I expect a tribute to the character in the form of a star.

_caleb

I doubt they would have Ray without Cummings. He always seems to be on speed dial for whatever role they need him for. If Ray was in the ride, I am pretty confident they would ask him to return and he'd gladly say yes. And again, have people here not seen the movie? The only way having Ray and Facilier (outside of his shadow) makes sense is if the ride occurs during or prior to the movie's events. This isn't me speaking from any sort of inside knowledge or anything, just the story logic.

I expect a tribute to the character in the form of a star.
Ray the firefly Force ghost

mickEblu

This is a little reassuring and I’m glad to hear Baxter may really be involved. Any word on Dr. Faciliers presence or lack thereof? Even if it’s it’s just music, it projections of his shadow and/ or ghouls.

MerlinTheGoat

This is a little reassuring and I’m glad to hear Baxter may really be involved. Any word on Dr. Faciliers presence or lack thereof? Even if it’s it’s just music, it projections of his shadow and/ or ghouls.
Only the vague crumbs of hope posted, nothing else beyond that. Your guess as to what the scenes will include are as good as mine. I'd be curious to know if any other actual insiders here have heard anything to back this glimmer of hope up. Or if they know any further details.

Hey @Magic Feather and @marni1971 have either of you heard anything promising about this project recently?

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Last edited by a moderator:

Casper Gutman

As much as I'd absolutely love to love this redo as much as I love something like MMRR, I remain convinced that as long as at least two of the three most enjoyable characters from the film are absent (and I have scant hope of Lottie showing up, either) and they are using the monumentally historically tone-deaf salt mine element, the imagineers have badly outsmarted themselves. Those mistakes are so fundamental. Now, if we learn that we're getting a Facilier AA and the idiotic salt mine thing is gone completely, I'm on board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom