News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

DCBaker

Premium Member
Snippet from an extensive interview with Charita Carter at Forbes -

"Before the pandemic turned the world upside down, the Mickey and Minnie attraction was open for nine days. A few months later, the then President of Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Weis, contacted Carter and told her that "we are bringing Princess Tiana to both Magic Kingdom and Disneyland, and we would like you to be the producer," she disclosed as tears flooded her face. She communicates that her creative journey as an Imagineer was only just unfolding.

The preliminary conceptualizations by Blue Sky fueled the current ideas that helped to complete Princess Tiana's Bayou Adventure attraction. Carter's team is presently solidifying the script for the ride, which is the synergistic phase, "People get together in a room, [with] a board, [and] start throwing stuff on the board, pin it up, and have a conversation, and you read people's body language."

However, the pandemic halted in-person creative interaction, and the group had to rely on Zoom calls to continue constructing the project. Carter worked with Carmen Smith, Senior Vice President, and Executive Creative Development Product/Content and Inclusive Strategies for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products; she made sure to supply the teams with connections, knowledge, and the necessary tools to work on the design. Since the employees could not travel to New Orleans, Louisiana, where Princess Tiana's story takes place, one of their colleagues who worked in New Orleans provided the team members with virtual tours of the location by using her iPhone on a gimbal.

"We're getting ready to go into our production phase where we start building stuff, then next we'll be at a point where we start installing. We will have previews for our guests, cut that ribbon, and then we get to be opened up to the world," Carter promises of the ride that will be available to the public in late 2024.

When the animated film "Princess and The Frog" premiered in 2009, it was met with jubilation. "Finally, here is something that all little girls, especially young black girls, can embrace," Cori Murray, the then entertainment director at Essence magazine, said to CNN. The first Disney-animated African American princess impacted young girls to women who finally had the chance to see themselves reflected in a cherished art form.

Carter recollects, outfitted in a green dress, going to a fundraiser at a museum in New Orleans that selected Princess Tiana as the theme with a group of Imagineers. "There was a sense of inspiration and pride in seeing that, but I remember going to this particular ball, and the majority of the African-American people there were serving. They were either in the kitchen or doing various things. I remember walking in with my dress on, and one of the waiters asked, 'Do you have a minute?' I'm going to cry when I tell the story," Carter becomes visibly emotional as her voice shakes and eyes well up with tears as she retells the poignant story.

"And I said, 'Sure.' I walked back toward the back, and they had all lined up and started clapping. They shared what Tiana meant to them and what it meant for me to be at that ball. Tiana inspires me because she represents a woman who looks like me, has a dream, works very hard, and won't take no for an answer; she overcame and then wanted to turn back and make sure that everybody else was healthy and whole in realizing their dreams. So I see myself in her, and I wasn't planning on crying," she sentimentally remarks.

She attempts to choke back her tears as she continues to speak and acknowledges how attendees at the D23 Expo have expressed their gratitude. The people of New Orleans have also thanked her for building Princess Tiana's Bayou Adventure. "It's one of those realizations that it's so much bigger than me or anybody on the team to be a part of it; it's an honor," she weeps as her voice trails off, engulfed in an overwhelmingly gentle appreciation.

Within a few moments, as she returns to a tranquil composure, she addresses the concern about how the lack of representation on television and film has affected minorities, "We've learned to self-impose ourselves on the heroes that we face. I would see Wonder Woman and be able to self-impose, but it's not the same. When you look and say they look like me it's all the difference in the world. It's just so amazing that the Disney company is, in my mind leading right now, making sure that we have representation across the board. I think the impact that will have on our society and on young people we can't even imagine at this juncture, what the impact that will have on the future," she powerfully states."

Last edited:

AEfx

If there wasn't already a TRON coaster designed and operating at another Disney theme park, WDW would certainly not get one.

It was greenlit for SDL before Legacy was released.
Oh, absolutely.

It's just funny...the MK gets it's first real, bona-fide, no-argument E-ticket added in thirty years, and it's based on...Tron.

When you add on the fact that it's a covered coaster next to one of the most (if not most) famous covered coasters in the world...the whole thing just boggles the mind.

I'd like to think it's because they have long-term plans of gutting Space Mountain and building a spectacular new attraction inside, but...yeah, that's a pipe dream haha.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member

EPCOT-O.G.

Snippet from an extensive interview with Charita Carter at Forbes -

"Before the pandemic turned the world upside down, the Mickey and Minnie attraction was open for nine days. A few months later, the then President of Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Weis, contacted Carter and told her that "we are bringing Princess Tiana to both Magic Kingdom and Disneyland, and we would like you to be the producer," she disclosed as tears flooded her face. She communicates that her creative journey as an Imagineer was only just unfolding.

The preliminary conceptualizations by Blue Sky fueled the current ideas that helped to complete Princess Tiana's Bayou Adventure attraction. Carter's team is presently solidifying the script for the ride, which is the synergistic phase, "People get together in a room, [with] a board, [and] start throwing stuff on the board, pin it up, and have a conversation, and you read people's body language."

However, the pandemic halted in-person creative interaction, and the group had to rely on Zoom calls to continue constructing the project. Carter worked with Carmen Smith, Senior Vice President, and Executive Creative Development Product/Content and Inclusive Strategies for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products; she made sure to supply the teams with connections, knowledge, and the necessary tools to work on the design. Since the employees could not travel to New Orleans, Louisiana, where Princess Tiana's story takes place, one of their colleagues who worked in New Orleans provided the team members with virtual tours of the location by using her iPhone on a gimbal.

"We're getting ready to go into our production phase where we start building stuff, then next we'll be at a point where we start installing. We will have previews for our guests, cut that ribbon, and then we get to be opened up to the world," Carter promises of the ride that will be available to the public in late 2024.

When the animated film "Princess and The Frog" premiered in 2009, it was met with jubilation. "Finally, here is something that all little girls, especially young black girls, can embrace," Cori Murray, the then entertainment director at Essence magazine, said to CNN. The first Disney-animated African American princess impacted young girls to women who finally had the chance to see themselves reflected in a cherished art form.

Carter recollects, outfitted in a green dress, going to a fundraiser at a museum in New Orleans that selected Princess Tiana as the theme with a group of Imagineers. "There was a sense of inspiration and pride in seeing that, but I remember going to this particular ball, and the majority of the African-American people there were serving. They were either in the kitchen or doing various things. I remember walking in with my dress on, and one of the waiters asked, 'Do you have a minute?' I'm going to cry when I tell the story," Carter becomes visibly emotional as her voice shakes and eyes well up with tears as she retells the poignant story.

"And I said, 'Sure.' I walked back toward the back, and they had all lined up and started clapping. They shared what Tiana meant to them and what it meant for me to be at that ball. Tiana inspires me because she represents a woman who looks like me, has a dream, works very hard, and won't take no for an answer; she overcame and then wanted to turn back and make sure that everybody else was healthy and whole in realizing their dreams. So I see myself in her, and I wasn't planning on crying," she sentimentally remarks.

She attempts to choke back her tears as she continues to speak and acknowledges how attendees at the D23 Expo have expressed their gratitude. The people of New Orleans have also thanked her for building Princess Tiana's Bayou Adventure. "It's one of those realizations that it's so much bigger than me or anybody on the team to be a part of it; it's an honor," she weeps as her voice trails off, engulfed in an overwhelmingly gentle appreciation.

Within a few moments, as she returns to a tranquil composure, she addresses the concern about how the lack of representation on television and film has affected minorities, "We've learned to self-impose ourselves on the heroes that we face. I would see Wonder Woman and be able to self-impose, but it's not the same. When you look and say they look like me it's all the difference in the world. It's just so amazing that the Disney company is, in my mind leading right now, making sure that we have representation across the board. I think the impact that will have on our society and on young people we can't even imagine at this juncture, what the impact that will have on the future," she powerfully states."

“Carter's team is presently solidifying the script for the ride, which is the synergistic phase”

and nothing’s built yet?

Yikes. I can’t see how 2024’s possible.

TrainsOfDisney

All they had to do was make this “Tiana’s Splash Mountain” - add a few of the characters and have them sing “going down the bayou” in the first part of the ride, then after the next drop have “friends on the other side” with lots of fog, tarot cards floating etc, then a “whoops…looks like you guys took a wrong turn” and boom “dig a littler deeper” farewell with the big showboat scene at the end.

That’s all they had to do!!!

LittleBuford

All they had to do was make this “Tiana’s Splash Mountain” - add a few of the characters and have them sing “going down the bayou” in the first part of the ride, then after the next drop have “friends on the other side” with lots of fog, tarot cards floating etc, then a “whoops…looks like you guys took a wrong turn” and boom “dig a littler deeper” farewell with the big showboat scene at the end.

I know people mocked it, but even the lost-trumpet storyline would have worked. They’ve really overcomplicated things needlessly.

DisneyfanMA

My guess is they want to market this as an entirely new E-Ticket not just a light retheme. Just glad it will still be open when we visit in 2 weeks since its a great ride at MK.

Kirby86

I know people mocked it, but even the lost-trumpet storyline would have worked. They’ve really overcomplicated things needlessly.
Oh they did overthink it. If the plot of the ride was Tiana and Lewis getting a Critter band together for a Mardi Gras Show playing songs from the movie it would work. For all we know this story could be amazing but the outline they gave us feels needlessly convoluted.

Fox&Hound

I feel like this is the same problem with the movie. Princess and the Frog, the movie, is good, but not great. You can tell it has moments of brilliance, but I think they focus grouped it to death for fear it would be offensive. They had a high bar for that movie, but you can't make great art out of fear. And now they are doing the same thing with the ride. They want to make this ride everything, and not offend anyone in the slightest way, and in doing so, this ride will let down many. I think Princess and the Frog could entirely work in this space and be something magical, but this weird co-op storyline is not it.

Casper Gutman

I feel like this is the same problem with the movie. Princess and the Frog, the movie, is good, but not great. You can tell it has moments of brilliance, but I think they focus grouped it to death for fear it would be offensive. They had a high bar for that movie, but you can't make great art out of fear. And now they are doing the same thing with the ride. They want to make this ride everything, and not offend anyone in the slightest way, and in doing so, this ride will let down many. I think Princess and the Frog could entirely work in this space and be something magical, but this weird co-op storyline is not it.
I actually think Frog is pretty great. I also think what is going on here is much stranger and stinks of deeper, more profound rot then simple excess focus-grouping, a more familiar failing. A focus-grouped ride would include Facilier and Ray. It would include the protagonists as frogs, their form for most of the film. It would not add in the baffling, incredibly historically problematic salt mine element, negating the entire reason for the redesign.

One thing this looming debacle does suggest is something I’ve wanted to pretend isn’t true for a while - imagineering is every bit as broken and dysfunctional as management.

James Alucobond

I actually think Frog is pretty great. I also think what is going on here is much stranger and stinks of deeper, more profound rot then simple excess focus-grouping, a more familiar failing. A focus-grouped ride would include Facilier and Ray. It would include the protagonists as frogs, their form for most of the film. It would not add in the baffling, incredibly historically problematic salt mine element, negating the entire reason for the redesign.

One thing this looming debacle does suggest is something I’ve wanted to pretend isn’t true for a while - imagineering is every bit as broken and dysfunctional as management.
I agree with you generally, but while I’m sure there are many internal problems in Imagineering, I get the impression here (and with Cosmic Rewind, incidentally) that someone else is either pulling the strings with the plot or aggressively vetoing more sensible ideas.

Casper Gutman

I agree with you generally, but while I’m sure there are many internal problems in Imagineering, I get the impression here (and with Cosmic Rewind, incidentally) that someone else is either pulling the strings with the plot or aggressively vetoing more sensible ideas.
CW I mostly agree. I just can’t see the mad salt mine and co-op aspect coming from anywhere other then the creative side. It reeks of someone trying to be very, very clever and falling on their face.

Given the reason behind the change, the mandate needed to be, “keep it simple (and inoffensive), stupid.” I still think the best path forward would have been to build some Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pete AAs and tell a simple tale of the core cast goin’ fishing’ with a few sight gags. Relatively cheap, very safe, and crowd pleasing. Tiana deserves an attraction, but she deserves one in a situation that isn’t this politically loaded.

splah

completely agree.

imagineering of late has been so focused on hyper realism that they continue to fail to shoehorn reality into fantasy. We don't need a reason why a "mountain" exists in new orleans. just own the fact that it does. as guests we're able to look beyond reality and acknowledge the fact that they needed a structure to build a ride on. just calling it the mississippi with some fun twists, turns, and turbulence would have been enough.

TrainsOfDisney

completely agree.

imagineering of late has been so focused on hyper realism that they continue to fail to shoehorn reality into fantasy. We don't need a reason why a "mountain" exists in new orleans. just own the fact that it does. as guests we're able to look beyond reality and acknowledge the fact that they needed a structure to build a ride on. just calling it the mississippi with some fun twists, turns, and turbulence would have been enough.
Exactly!!! Why does a monorail go past the Matterhorn and then over a submarine lagoon? Who knows but it just works!

Can you imagine what will happen when this group of imagineers gets ahold of haunted mansion? The ghost host will greet you with “can you spot all the ghosts? They are hiding from you! We need you to help us find them!”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom