News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

_caleb

On the model, it looks like they’ve attempted to make the top of the mountain look like a treetop, and the opening where the logs come out at the top of the drop into a tree trunk.

The effect isn’t obvious, especially due to the mountainy part on the sides of the “tree.” But it they’re indeed trying to do this, it would visually make the mountain appear shorter, and as though it had a big tree on top.

Anyone else seeing this, or is it just me?

8E3B4FA9-0D4B-4965-980A-0E9E3E4F7B95.jpeg

_caleb

Which is a stupid premise.
Why make a ride take place immediately after the movie, if doing so removes key elements about what made that movie enjoyable?
Would you prefer a book report-style retelling of the film’s plot?

I’m not sure we know whether they’re removing key elements from what made the movie enjoyable. But I supposed that’s possible.

A ride set immediately after the story in the film is probably the simplest way to leverage the films‘ storytelling efforts while also making something “new” (that will also introduce new characters, outfits, and music for them to sell).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh, I mean this as a good thing. I imagine Mister Penguin having an entire database of factoids and pithy pre-written posts just ready for when someone posts something factually uninformed/incorrect. Or for when @Sirwalterraleigh get especially frustrated with Kathleen Kennedy.

Personally, I appreciate your posts and posting style.
Kathy who? 🤔

Ayla

closing this before tron sounds unlikely I think. You'd lose a massive attraction and have no replacement. If they want to take their time and do the ride justice, I just don't see it in 2024 at this point. Disney doesn't seem to have the deadlines they once had.
Splash normally closes Jan/Feb every year, so I'm guessing it will go down as normal this winter and just not reopen. They aren't going to spend money on additional maintenance when the ride will be torn apart in the near future.

Animaniac93-98

The equivalent would be if in FEA, Disney created a backstory that after the events of Frozen, Elsa discovered she could not only control ice and snow, but also sand, and then had the ride be a visit to a beach she created, where we see her using magic to build sand castles while singing Let It Go.

This will be the new theme for Blizzard Beach when it reopens. ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can we get all the people who complain about 'book report' rides because they are just passive onlookers (and already know the story) in the same Thunderdome with all the people who complain about rides that try to draw them into the plot because they'd rather just watch the tableaus/dioramas?

The winners get to set the direction of all future rides.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Splash normally closes Jan/Feb every year, so I'm guessing it will go down as normal this winter and just not reopen. They aren't going to spend money on additional maintenance when the ride will be torn apart in the near future.
Nah…it doesn’t have a “seasonal rehab”…it’s too big of a capacity handler

And the planet is cooking…so it’s not even cold anymore.

95 in March this year if I recall?

Last edited:

LittleBuford

On the model, it looks like they’ve attempted to make the top of the mountain look like a treetop, and the opening where the logs come out at the top of the drop into a tree trunk.

The effect isn’t obvious, especially due to the mountainy part on the sides of the “tree.” But it they’re indeed trying to do this, it would visually make the mountain appear shorter, and as though it had a big tree on top.

Anyone else seeing this, or is it just me?

View attachment 666440
I sort of see it, but I think we're meant to interpret it as a mossy mound rather than a treetop.

Incomudro

I’m not sure we know whether they’re removing key elements from what made the movie enjoyable. But I supposed that’s possible.

A ride set immediately after the story in the film is probably the simplest way to leverage the films‘ storytelling efforts while also making something “new” (that will also introduce new characters, outfits, and music for them to sell).
More or less, yes I would.
I'd like something that starts off peaceful and tranquil, we meet Louis and Ray - perhaps ray as a star, then the threat of Facilier builds - probably casting a spell on us or Tiana.
Mama Odie can come along later in the ride trying to help.
The dread can build as we near and climb the lift hill, as Mama Odie tries to get us out.
After the drop, we're freed - and enter a celebration.
Forgive me, I don't write stories like this but this is the general arc I would have liked to see.

erasure fan1

This is a tough one. The big appeal to princess and the frog is their time as frogs. But since one of the big criticisms of the film was, the first African American princess, and she spent most of the film as a frog. So they won't make that mistake with her ride. This is just another question mark on this whole project. I loved PatF so my vote goes for book report or some sort of retelling. There are just too many parts of that film that would work great for a ride.

kingdead

I'd love to hang out with human Tiana and her prince in the bayou, they didn't spend enough time as humans in the movie and that would make up for the mistake (and move merch). Maybe they're having Mardi Gras with their animal buddies and we get some jazz in the swamp. Then Facilier breaks out of hell to get his revenge against Miss Tiana! He menaces us with some voodoo spirits, there's some spooky effects, Tiana and Mama Odie fight him and down we go.

The only thing I can think of that would be a problem is the voodoo but if that's a deal breaker, they shouldn't publicize PatF at all, really. No, technically voodoo cannot turn you into a frog as part of an elaborate identity-switch scam...

DCLcruiser

I think the fact that it has Elsa in her ice palace really confuses this for people. One of the reasons it's such a poorly designed ride.
It's basically a book-report. They sing the old songs, they go to old places, they see old characters. There's no new adventure, quest or problem to solve. We're going to a party (which never appears) and then end up back at the start. Oh, and it's not about Norway :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom