News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Dan Deesnee

For those who love Splash, this model they released pics and videos of is a HUGE WIN in some ways.

16 new characters - Splash has over 100 animatronics. This means many of the animatronics probably won't change outside of new paint and costumes.

No dead tree - The salt dome means that even the outside of the attraction won't change much. My kids said they didn't even see a difference until one pointed out the water tower thing.

I'm picturing this new attraction as, new songs, some new characters, probably some projection effects here and there, but mostly the same ride.

Tiana deserves her own well thought out attraction, not this garbage bargain basement overlay. We lose a classic attraction and gain nothing.

Everyone loses.

EPCOT-O.G.

For those who love Splash, this model they released pics and videos of is a HUGE WIN in some ways.

16 new characters - Splash has over 100 animatronics. This means many of the animatronics probably won't change outside of new paint and costumes.

No dead tree - The salt dome means that even the outside of the attraction won't change much. My kids said they didn't even see a difference until one pointed out the water tower thing.

I'm picturing this new attraction as, new songs, some new characters, probably some projection effects here and there, but mostly the same ride.

Tiana deserves her own well thought out attraction, not this garbage bargain basement overlay. We lose a classic attraction and gain nothing.

Everyone loses.
The sad thing is that this ride will always be compared to Splash, one of the greatest ever. If it fails to surpass the original, that’s a tremendous disservice to Tiana and PATF.

ToTBellHop

Real talk: I presume the actual story will be: I’m throwing a party but we need these three ingredients that are hard to get and found in dangerous places. So we go on an adventure with Tiana who is basically on an Indiana Jones quest. This creates peril for a thrill ride without needing a human villain. Because they want to showcase their Black heroine, they likely want to avoid having a Black villain, continuing this idea that Black people are dangerous. Maybe the “friends from the other side” can still visit, though?

I guess this all makes sense. I still find the Tiana’s co-op storyline to be forced and unnecessary. Just go with “we need food for a party at Tiana’s Palace.” Keep it simple, stupid.

We can expect melodies from the film with new lyrics.

Joel

I think the exterior retheme is underwhelming, but I'm going to hold out hope that there isn't any correlation with the work being down on the inside. I mean, if you had seen a model of Under the Sea's exterior before it opened, you would have thought, "This is gonna be the best ' Fantasyland ride of all time!"

Last edited by a moderator:

celluloid

I think the exterior retheme is underwhelming, but I'm going to hold out hope that there isn't any correlation with the work being down on the inside. I mean, if you had seen a model of Under the Sea's exterior before it opened, you would have thought, "This is gonna be the best effin' Fantasyland ride of all time!"

More comparable since it is a retheme too would be Frozen.

Hopefully not what happens. Two year or less turn around, the exterior and interior changes were both underwhelming.

mysto

Seeing how New Orleans Square based this design is, it really makes me wish they would/could reroute the entrance of the attraction, and build a New Orleans(esque) space like where the splash exit merch store/restroom area is
I can't find it, but I swear they said there'd be a shop and maybe food at the exit? I'm probably getting it mixed up with one of the other announcements. Maybe I read Tiana's club as a real place for humans rather than a ride story element.

The Mom

Premium Member
You have all been asked to limit the discussion to the retheme itself - not any underlying reasons leading to the retheme. And. as always, political/social comments are not allowed anywhere on the forums.

Comments about the political/social issues that may be associated with the retheme are also not allowed. That should have been understood - but apparently not.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Real talk: I presume the actual story will be: I’m throwing a party but we need these three ingredients that are hard to get and found in dangerous places. So we go on an adventure with Tiana who is basically on an Indiana Jones quest. This creates peril for a thrill ride without needing a human villain. Because they want to showcase their Black heroine, they likely want to avoid having a Black villain, continuing this idea that Black people are dangerous. Maybe the “friends from the other side” can still visit, though?

I guess this all makes sense. I still find the Tiana’s co-op storyline to be forced and unnecessary. Just go with “we need food for a party at Tiana’s Palace.” Keep it simple, stupid.

This is all so terrible, yet in keeping with the way things are done today - that you are likely correct.

Sir_Cliff

Just as a caveat before anyone says this is pre-judging, I think we're all aware this is speculation rather than reacting to confirmed plans.

However, if the story is really something along the lines of needing ingredients to prepare food for a party it seems a little lame for a thrill ride to me. The suggestion about chasing a magic trumpet also seemed a bit lame (was that another Jim Hill rumour?), but maybe it's just a tough fit to create a Princess and the Frog ride that includes thrill elements but isn't too scary for the biggest fans of the film and characters who are probably younger children. I guess if they were planning a PatF ride from scratch they wouldn't have chosen to make it any more thrilling than perhaps the Seven Dwarfs mine train, so it's probably another issue they have to work around with this overlay.

Epcot82Guy

I just don't understand these contrived, overengineered stories in these recent attractions. Guardian's main failure is in its story. Same with Harmonius and Enchantment. It feels like the parks' stories are being written by bad move short writers - which Disney recently has failed spectacularly. The greatest attractions have very simple, plausible storylines. They have incredibly rich sets, rich settings, etc. But, you don't need this forced storyline. They ruined Pirates with a silly forced storyline. This looks to be even worse. It cheapens the characters and adds nothing to the attraction itself IMHO.

Jack needs a comically large key. Keep it away from him!
Guardians have to save the world to get back an important McGuffin!
Tiana needs to find her tasty McGuffin or she'll have upset dinner guests!
We need to shoot things to get magical space crap from the Falcon!
Remy is deciding a dish to make us standing over a potentially hostile restaurant's kitchen.

Disney has always been about fantasy. The stories don't have to be perfect. But, they need to have some level of making sense and plausibility. Even total fantasy makes some level of sense.

So many of these new stories just seem forced and a bit trite. I honestly think storytelling and place setting are one of Disney Park's biggest problems right now.

James Alucobond

So many of these new stories just seem forced and a bit trite. I honestly think storytelling and place setting are one of Disney Park's biggest problems right now.
Have to agree. The focus should be on environmental storytelling, not on conveying a complex narrative. People want awe, wonder, and magic from attractions, not a series of vignettes. It's kind of why I've never understood the resistance to "book report" rides; they allow guests to fill in the known gaps while allowing the Imagineers to play with the more visually and emotionally evocative sequences.

dreday3

My thoughts are if they are going to make a ride based on popularity of a movie/IP, then make the ride based on the movie! Sure, have fun with it, add things, be imaginative, but at least make it recognizable.

This story has zilch to do with Princess and The Frog. Why make all new characters when the originals are so great?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom