News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Disney Analyst

Another fun quote!

Metacritic is the only indicator left that isn't used by the industry in clandestine ways the consumer doesn't understand. Disney wanted $150 million out of this one, they got $127 million. It's likely to grab a box office total of $500-600 million, far below the billion of the first.

Then I asked:

Anyone know how fast Frozen hit 1 billion last time? Frozen 2 looks like it will do it pretty soon.

Which got this reply:

Comparing domestic totals it took Frozen about 40 days to hit $300M compared to 17 days for Frozen 2. I did the math very quickly so I might be off by a few days.

Prince-1

Actually, that number came from a publicly-posted audit. If you want to scroll through my post history hard enough, it's in there shared on this site.

As for "true insiders" and foul artic fowl, all I can tell you is that I'm in direct contact with the daughter of a Song of the South actor as she works to preserve her father's legacy. But you all are the experts. Have fun, I'll be back in another month or two.

pinocchio-nose.gif

Smiley/OCD

Why does it matter anymore? Splash Mountain is closing. Get over it. Whether it’s for the problematic history of the source material, the fact that the ride needs a rehab anyway, the Brers merch not selling, Tiana being a more marketable & merchandisable character, etc. The ride is closing and Tiana’a Bayou Adventure is coming, we should all embrace the change and hope that this new attraction is amazing
Sorry, the only thing I embrace is my wife…I know better…

Smiley/OCD

Why does it matter anymore? Splash Mountain is closing. Get over it. Whether it’s for the problematic history of the source material, the fact that the ride needs a rehab anyway, the Brers merch not selling, Tiana being a more marketable & merchandisable character, etc. The ride is closing and Tiana’a Bayou Adventure is coming, we should all embrace the change and hope that this new attraction is amazing
Of course Brer merchandise isn’t selling…hasn’t been available for years…you don’t think if it was available now it wouldn’t be selling out constantly?

James Alucobond

Of course Brer merchandise isn’t selling…hasn’t been available for years…you don’t think if it was available now it wouldn’t be selling out constantly?
I agree that it would be selling well now given the impending closure and perceived future scarcity, but I could also buy the argument that it has not historically sold well relative to other park merchandise.

LittleBuford

I agree that it would be selling well now given the impending closure and perceived future scarcity, but I could also buy the argument that it has not historically sold well relative to other park merchandise.
I bought a Splash Mountain mug in 2018, and the shop was full of them and other Br'er merchandise. I don't think it started selling out (or being resold at massive markups on eBay) until after the announcement of the retheme in 2020.

Smiley/OCD

It was. They disappeared shortly after that
And there was basically 2 items…the coffee mug that was mentioned and a very plain green Splash Mountain T-shirt…when the announcement was made, those were the only 2 skus of SM merchandise available…of coarse they were hoarded, but like you said, the shop was closed because there was nothing left to sell. Bottom line is 2 skus does not a ton of SM items make (unless you’re talking about quantity of those 2 skus…

LittleBuford

And there was basically 2 items…the coffee mug that was mentioned and a very plain green Splash Mountain T-shirt…when the announcement was made, those were the only 2 skus of SM merchandise available…of coarse they were hoarded, but like you said, the shop was closed because there was nothing left to sell. Bottom line is 2 skus does not a ton of SM items make (unless you’re talking about quantity of those 2 skus…
There were also plushies. Lots and lots of plushies.

kz5j0wrhdv951.jpg

Kirby86

Kind of ridiculous they didn't put a limit on purchases for the Splash merch. I think Disney as a whole is trying to consolidate most of their merchandise offerings. I noticed a lot of Disney Parks branded stuff rather then Walt Disney World. Its cheaper to be generic. Why make attraction specific merchandise when Mickey and friends will sell better? I do think there will be grand opening Tiana Merch but I think after a while it'll fade to the generic Disney princesses branding.

Ghost93

Kind of ridiculous they didn't put a limit on purchases for the Splash merch. I think Disney as a whole is trying to consolidate most of their merchandise offerings. I noticed a lot of Disney Parks branded stuff rather then Walt Disney World. Its cheaper to be generic. Why make attraction specific merchandise when Mickey and friends will sell better? I do think there will be grand opening Tiana Merch but I think after a while it'll fade to the generic Disney princesses branding.
I think Disney just wanted to get rid of the Splash Mountain merch ASAP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom