News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

BCNHF

i'm going to set the record straight on this:

1. The plan for Tiana replacing Splash Mountain dates back to 2017.
2. Yes, the original plan was for Disneyland particularly when they were ripping up Critter Country for SWGE
3. No, 2020 was not the sole reason for WDW getting the replacement. You might remember that they introduced a large merchandising push for Splash Mountain around 2018 but it apparently did very poorly, cementing the fate of the ride. 2020 was just the final hump to announcing it. This coincides with Tianas riverboat also which did perform well.
4. Expect a cgi ride through video for D23

matt9112

2. Yes, the original plan was for Disneyland particularly when they were ripping up Critter Country for SWGE
3. No, 2020 was not the sole reason for WDW getting the replacement. You might remember that they introduced a large merchandising push for Splash Mountain around 2018 but it apparently did very poorly, cementing the fate of the ride. 2020 was just the final hump to announcing it. This coincides with Tianas riverboat also which did perform well.

The potential here is great…to do something great but I don’t know if I have faith in disney. I hope the change includes updating the area around the ride. The entrance and exit courtyard area for example has a lot of potential. The 180 degree turn around after the splash down that’s part of the entire areas feel is also a place they could make the area shine.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
You're . . . close. Ish.

The Brer's have been on the chopping block for a while. There are many reasons that Disney doesn't see fit to keep them around, but the big one of course is money. Disney has long seen them as dead-end IP, since they don't make them much money as-is and Disney was not going to risk making a misstep in trying to breathe any new life into them.

People have been saying for a long time that Disney wants to do away with Splash Mountain more for money reasons and less for, um, socially conscious reasons, and that this itself is a problem and an indictment of the way Disney does things. But lots of people have dug their heels in and refused to hear it, instead deciding that Summer 2020 was the spurring event for the retheme and not just the spurring event for the announcement. So, good on you for finally letting it in.

The chances that WDW's Splash Mountain as we know it would be long for this world, even if the events of Summer 2020 hadn't happened, are low.
Maintenance was a nightmare for this ride would be my guess bc i cant remember the last time it was working properly even at about 90& effectively... bottom line is again based on what the poster just said if this ride performed financially the way they wanted it to be in Florida it would have stayed pat and never even talked about & they would have redone Cali and created a nicer New Orleans area where it fits perfectly and just like we never received the ToT redo my guess is we never would have received a Tianna redo..... and honestly i dont even recall a major Splash push merchandise wise that was any more elaborate when coming off the ride... i do have a couple nice picture frames but nothing sticks out off my memory... no point in rehashing this thread over and over again but again if this post was accurate and true kinda shows the truth behind this ride.. whcih im sure BOTH sides will claim they were correct and right about lol ;)

JohnD

Maintenance was a nightmare for this ride would be my guess bc i cant remember the last time it was working properly even at about 90& effectively... bottom line is again based on what the poster just said if this ride performed financially the way they wanted it to be in Florida it would have stayed pat and never even talked about & they would have redone Cali and created a nicer New Orleans area where it fits perfectly and just like we never received the ToT redo my guess is we never would have received a Tianna redo..... and honestly i dont even recall a major Splash push merchandise wise that was any more elaborate when coming off the ride... i do have a couple nice picture frames but nothing sticks out off my memory... no point in rehashing this thread over and over again but again if this post was accurate and true kinda shows the truth behind this ride.. whcih im sure BOTH sides will claim they were correct and right about lol ;)

So they're going to retheme Tiana because "maintenance was a nightmare"? There are many arguments for the retheme. This isn't one of them. It will be the same ride system - a log flume ride.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
So they're going to retheme Tiana because "maintenance was a nightmare"? There are many arguments for the retheme. This isn't one of them. It will be the same ride system - a log flume ride.
would you like to wager on how many AA there will be in the retheme vs what was there in Splash's glory? because im willing to bet it will be greatly reduced... but thats just one man's opinion.....

JohnD

would you like to wager on how many AA there will be in the retheme vs what was there in Splash's glory? because im willing to bet it will be greatly reduced... but thats just one man's opinion.....

I really don't know. They claim it will be as good, if not better than Splash. Tony Baxter will be involved, etc. So putting aside the whys and wherefores of the retheme, I just hope it will be as good. If I want a basic flume ride, I can ride Dudley Do-Right in Uni.

Kirby86

So if they have a virtual ride through which Mountain are they going to focus on? Are they going to focus on Worlds and say because the ride is diffrent in Land some of these sections will be modified or not part of the west coast ride.if

JohnD

You're saying it's being rethemed because it requires a lot of maintenance. Retheme, no. Keeping it working, yes. Because, duh, it's a log flume ride. It gets taken down at least every winter for refurbishment. There have been sinking logs. That's not because of AAs. Do AAs need maintenance too, sure. But you don't know that there will be fewer AAs any more than the rest of us know there will be at least the same number. A retheme because of maintenance is hardly the reason. Other reasons have been offered -- money, cultural, etc. Maintenance isn't one of them. They could improve maintenance with the current theme.

Last edited by a moderator:

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
You're saying it's being rethemed because it requires a lot of maintenance. Retheme, no. Keeping it working, yes. Because, duh, it's a log flume ride. It gets taken down at least every winter for refurbishment. There have been sinking logs. That's not because of AAs. Do AAs need maintenance too, sure. But you don't know that there will be fewer AAs any more than the rest of us know there will be at least the same number. A retheme because of maintenance is hardly the reason. Other reasons have been offered -- money, cultural, etc. Maintenance isn't one of them. They could improve maintenance with the current theme.
again it was one of my reasons they wanted this ride to eventually go... i made a prediction more than i can say you did.... an opinion one I am 100% certain im entitled to make especially on a forum and considering this ride has been riddled with AA's not working for years along with all the other issues and maintenance has been awful Yes i firmly believe a company who has proven recently to skimp on said maintenance would love to rid a ride that is heavy on said AA and create an overly with less AA and more screens.... maybe ill be correct maybe ill be wrong... we all will find out in 2024 when it opens....

WDW Pro

You're . . . close. Ish.

The Brer's have been on the chopping block for a while. There are many reasons that Disney doesn't see fit to keep them around, but the big one of course is money. Disney has long seen them as dead-end IP, since they don't make them much money as-is and Disney was not going to risk making a misstep in trying to breathe any new life into them.

People have been saying for a long time that Disney wants to do away with Splash Mountain more for money reasons and less for, um, socially conscious reasons, and that this itself is a problem and an indictment of the way Disney does things. But lots of people have dug their heels in and refused to hear it, instead deciding that Summer 2020 was the spurring event for the retheme and not just the spurring event for the announcement. So, good on you for finally letting it in.

The chances that WDW's Splash Mountain as we know it would be long for this world, even if the events of Summer 2020 hadn't happened, are low.

None of this explains why Disney would suddenly announce a new ride with nothing more than two images, then spend years trying to design what that ride might be. There are blue sky ideas for a multitude of things.

tanc

Is #4 satire or is there actual evidence of it?

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No

Well I’m glad somebody’s here to set the record straight then! Guess we can just close this thread now!

EPCOT-O.G.

Consider me skeptical as to 1-3, but we should know how much of that is made up if 4 doesn't come about in a months' time.

BCNHF

happy to help set things straight. You don't have to believe me. I think 20 years of membership here gives me a step up from your average Twitter user ;).

besides, it's not like I said something radical like that there has finally been movement on what to do with JII after all these years and that we'll have a very non-news update about it next month.

mickEblu

happy to help set things straight. You don't have to believe me. I think 20 years of membership here gives me a step up from your average Twitter user ;).

besides, it's not like I said something radical like that there has finally been movement on what to do with JII after all these years and that we'll have a very non-news update about it next month.

Shall we expect Facilier or any element of danger/ suspense? Or is this a log ride through Happy Town?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom