News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

EPCOT-O.G.

I embrace them when and if they do something embraceable.

There are attractions that make good use of screens, but there are unfortunately many more that fail to use them as anything more than a design shortcut. An exceptional "screen" element will make you believe in what you are meant to be seeing and draw you deeper into the world of the attraction, but few things will pull you out of the world faster than a screen effect that's poorly executed.

Consider how Madame Leota in The Haunted Mansion has been effective and enchanting for more than 50 years, and yet Costance Hatchaway in the same ride feels stale and lame after a little more than a decade.

And generally speaking, I can't think of a design element that has lower batting average than projections and screens. Far too many of them are obvious, lazy, or poorly integrated, and ones that genuinely elevate the attraction are quite few and far between. That their use is on the rise seems to contribute more to the first category than the second, which is really troubling, especially as the cost to visit theme parks also increases.

The distaste for screens isn't unfounded.
Screens *can* be fine. But, to me, you lose an important dimension to it all. Our brains perceptively register you’re watching a screen, and keeps you from fully buying in to the experience. At some point, why not just watch ride videos?

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Seems pretty obvious people will call this "Tiana's" . . .
Tiana’s doesn’t sound like a flume ride at all is my issue. If it was a small-scale Fantasyland ride it would make sense, or if it wasn’t ending generically in adventure.

All I'm arguing is that I don’t understand why they couldn’t just call it something with more creativity. Something like Bayou Falls would work a lot better even if they want to completely distance themselves from “Splash” and “Mountain.”

And yes, calling it by a shorthand is what will end up happening, but ‘Rat’ and ‘Indy’ are better-sounding shorthands while also sounding better for the rides they are meant for.

And, in Indiana Jones Adventure's case, it's an actual "adventure," so it’s a good name for that reason.

It’s as if Sleeping Beauty rethemed Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to "Aurora's Magical Adventure." I've been very impressed with the quality of the new additions over the past few years, so I'll ride it with an open mind, but I don’t know, it could just have a cleverer name. That’s all.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes, exactly. Not a big deal, but set off my OCD. Here’s how he would fix it.

So, he basically removed the bottom serif spacing on either side of the first A. But left it on the second A.

In the pic below, the original is on top and his fix below. Now, it's T IAN A's by his own reckoning...

1656894798517.png

The problem is that many capital letters are unforgiving with kerning. Several are extra wide and several grab huge estates of emptiness. The capital As are a problem because the wide bottom pushes other letters away while creating a big gap at the top between letters.

Below are examples of solutions that reduce that big space by means of:
  • thicker vertical strokes
  • leaning the letters as in italics
  • putting serifs only on the sides with open spaces and removing the ones that are creating big white spaces
  • using a more hand-scripting font that bows in wide bottoms or tops of letters (especially the A)
  • big flourishes
  • making wide letters narrower

Many of the font examples below need kerning fixes to the larger initial capital letter (the T) and the apostrophe-S.

The bottom one is my quick attempt at some of these fixes.

1656898053515.png

yensidtlaw1969

That doesn’t sound like a flume ride at all is my issue. In Fantasyland no problem, or if it wasn’t ending generically in adventure. I just don’t understand why they couldn’t just call it something with more creativity is all I’m saying.

And yes, that’s what will end up happening, but ‘Ratatouille’ or ‘Indy’ are better shorthand’s. It’s like if Aurora rethemed big thunder mountain. I don’t know, it could just have a cleverer name. That’s all.
Kinda seems like you're looking for something to complain about, given that the examples you gave are literally no different.

But if it makes you feel better, there's a lot of people doing that in this thread.

RSoxNo1

Another factor to consider is that alligators would be unable to form a pucker with their mouth and successfully play the trumpet.

View attachment 650381

The intertwining of teeth throughout the top and bottom jaw, as well as the jaw bones themselves, would make it practically impossible to form the enclosed pucker formation of lips and force the needed condensed air in order for the instrument to function as designed.
View attachment 650383

In addition to these setbacks, gators lack the required arm length to hold said instrument in the needed position to perform. Standing upright is also a required task of festive jazz playing which gators are unable to accomplish for any significant amount of time.
The lung capacity of gators is more like birds than humans, with one way airflow, which would make the entire process of playing the instrument quite impossible.
View attachment 650395
View attachment 650396

This entire ride is going to be a lie.
I don't know what to believe any more.

Californian Elitist

Speaking of which, why did you change yours?
Long story short, in another thread where the majority of the conversation is now deleted, some folks were upset/triggered/annoyed/shocked when I said that Los Angeles and Orlando are incomparable cities. Folks used that to call back to the notion that Californians think they’re better, and I got called an “elitist,” despite the fact that I said nothing bad about Orlando or any of the 49 other states. So, I changed my name to the thing folks in that thread saw me as and wanted me to be.🤷🏾‍♀️

It’s personally funny to me, but I will probably change my name back at some point.😁

Ghost93

Why not go with the colon love

Splash Mountain: Tiana's Bayou Adventure
I think the problem is that when you type up "Splash Mountain" on Google, one of the top results is "Splash Mountain Racist."

I think Disney in the future doesn't want people to be thinking AT ALL about Song of the South, so they want to remove all ties to the name of an iconic ride that was themed after Song of the South.

Californian Elitist

I think the problem is that when you type up "Splash Mountain" on Google, one of the top results is "Splash Mountain Racist."

I think Disney in the future doesn't want people to be thinking AT ALL about Song of the South, so they want to remove all ties to the name of an iconic ride that was themed after Song of the South.
Exactly. Keeping “Splash Mountain” in the title contradicts the reason why the ride is going in the first place. Disney wants to cuts all ties.

LittleBuford

Long story short, in another thread where the majority of the conversation is now deleted, some folks were upset/triggered/annoyed/shocked when I said that Los Angeles and Orlando are incomparable cities. Folks used that to call back to the notion that Californians think they’re better, and I got called an “elitist,” despite the fact that I said nothing bad about Orlando or any of the 49 other states. So, I changed my name to the thing folks in that thread saw me as and wanted me to be.🤷🏾‍♀️

It’s personally funny to me, but I will probably change my name back at some point.😁
Raven suited you, for what it’s worth!

correcaminos

I was not being serious and edited to reflect my sense of humor. Sorry... though the other time I said it people laughed so I thought I'd share.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom