News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Kirby86

Absolutely.

They chose a movie that has a black lead, an official Disney Princess and is set in New Orleans.

It makes perfect sense...if you're only thinking of Disneyland in California.
Yup even the original "research" and interviews video they mentioned Disney's rich history with New Orleans because of New Orleans Square which is in one park.

FettFan

Genuine question, is there any mound of dirt 30, not evens 50, feet high around New Orleans? I mean, most of the city is UNDER sea level! How does this attraction fit into NO??

Monkey Hill.

FettFan

First thing on the site: constructed by the WPA in the 1930s. Try again

You never specified that, just asked for a mound of dirt.

guess GIF

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Genuine question, is there any mound of dirt 30, not evens 50, feet high around New Orleans? I mean, most of the city is UNDER sea level! How does this attraction fit into NO??
Correct…New Orleans is built below sea level…

That could be problem if they’re ever hit by multiple global sea warming fueled tropical storms in rapid succession…

Sir_Cliff

Ideally, WDW would get a PatF offering of some other kind, plus a change to their Splash. However, that would require extra time and money, which would be seen as a waste by corporate (like tearing down Communicore to build...another version of Communicore)
I don't say this often, but I'm kind of on the side of Disney management here that it would have been a bit of a waste to design a whole other second replacement for Splash Mountain and an all-new PatF attraction for MK because a Louisiana-based attraction is a slightly awkward fit for Frontierland at MK.

Maybe if we were talking replacing it with a Wreck it Ralph attraction I would agree, but we're talking replacing a ride set in rural Georgia with one set in rural Louisiana, which is not that great a leap. The exterior is also not going to look all that different such that it clashes any more than Splash does.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't say this often, but I'm kind of on the side of Disney management here that it would have been a bit of a waste to design a whole other second replacement for Splash Mountain and an all-new PatF attraction for MK because a Louisiana-based attraction is a slightly awkward fit for Frontierland at MK.

Maybe if we were talking replacing it with a Wreck it Ralph attraction I would agree, but we're talking replacing a ride set in rural Georgia with one set in rural Louisiana, which is not that great a leap. The exterior is also not going to look all that different such that it clashes any more than Splash does.
I don’t think the locale replacement is an issue at all…

I’m still not cool with repurposing perhaps the most “thrilling” ride In the park - soon to be replaced - with something that is more for the bibbidi Bobbity targets

Animaniac93-98

Let's be honest here and acknowledge that Disney would never spend the money to just change MK's Splash and this whole project is happening in Florida only because, in their minds, they're splitting the cost between two versions.

MK's Splash changing is simply a matter of convenience and brand consistency. They do not care one bit about the differences between the two versions and why they were not built exactly the same to begin with. You could change the theme of MK's Splash to something that better fits its surroundings, but that would cost extra and this is a park that has abandoned attraction, retail and dining space because the most popular theme park in the country wants to avoid any kind of investment.

The New Orleans theme is being pushed because it fits at Disneyland, which is the only thing that matters to California-centric WDI. MK is the junk park in the swamps and they know that park's fans are so starved for anything new they'll be happy with whatever they get.

Adding to my own post, I see the change of MK's Splash as part of a broader issue of mismanagement and attitude towards the park that has been occurring over the last two decades, best exemplified by the lackluster nature of what should be a milestone anniversary.

Reopening Aunt Polly's is seen as a logistical/financial burden that's too difficult to overcome, but dropping a couple hundred million to change Splash is not given a second thought. It's like when they spent all that money to expand and redo Peter Pan's queue...but did nothing with the ride itself. Funds are allocated in truly haphazard ways where the execution is almost incidental because MK is not seen as a park with substantial design intent or history worth preserving. We get weird on ride photos for Pirates and Haunted Mansion, but other show effects in those same rides can be left broken because the rest is seen as good enough.

The park will probably never get a another night parade (donated or new build), show quality remains inconsistent, retail is viewed as the bare minimum, food service and quality have developed a notorious reputation and the park struggles on a daily basis to handle its crushing crowds. TRON will probably only make up for the lost capacity of Stitch closing without replacement.

I'm focusing this on MK, because this thread is for the WDW version specifically. I don't object to PatF being added to the park, but changing an already popular ride to make it happen feels so out of line with Magic Kingdom's needs, however well intentioned the reasoning behind it may be. The park is crying out for real, substantial improvements, but gets ignored time and again.

In a perfect world, this overlay would be part of an ongoing effort to make the park the best it can be. I don't agree with every change they've made in the last few years, but DLP's castle park has seen an amazing restoration of sorts that has truly improved the guest experience and I wish the same would happen in Florida. Instead, this bit of capital spending will likely be seen as the equivalent of a new ride and the rest of the park will remain in a kind autopilot for years while admission increases and guests struggle with convoluted operations just to ride it.

I think that what frustrates me overall.

Sir_Cliff

I don’t think the locale replacement is an issue at all…

I’m still not cool with repurposing perhaps the most “thrilling” ride In the park - soon to be replaced - with something that is more for the bibbidi Bobbity targets
I must say that this still strikes me as a little unusual. I'd be interested to know the cross-over between PatF's most enthusiastic audience and the ridership of Splash and whether there is a bit of a mismatch there.

The closest comparison I can really think of is the relatively mild Seven Dwarfs coaster being based on Snow White.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I must say that this still strikes me as a little unusual. I'd be interested to know the cross-over between PatF's most enthusiastic audience and the ridership of Splash and whether there is a bit of a mismatch there.

The closest comparison I can really think of is the relatively mild Seven Dwarfs coaster being based on Snow White.
Splash isn’t “extreme”…but it does feature more than the 15 foot screaming hills of mine train

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Perhaps they'll remove the thrill and and it'll just be a nice gentle conveyor belt-driven journey to the bottom. No Splash.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Adding to my own post, I see the change of MK's Splash as part of a broader issue of mismanagement and attitude towards the park that has been occurring over the last two decades, best exemplified by the lackluster nature of what should be a milestone anniversary.

Reopening Aunt Polly's is seen as a logistical/financial burden that's too difficult to overcome, but dropping a couple hundred million to change Splash is not given a second thought. It's like when they spent all that money to expand and redo Peter Pan's queue...but did nothing with the ride itself. Funds are allocated in truly haphazard ways where the execution is almost incidental because MK is not seen as a park with substantial design intent or history worth preserving. We get weird on ride photos for Pirates and Haunted Mansion, but other show effects in those same rides can be left broken because the rest is seen as good enough.

The park will probably never get a another night parade (donated or new build), show quality remains inconsistent, retail is viewed as the bare minimum, food service and quality have developed a notorious reputation and the park struggles on a daily basis to handle its crushing crowds. TRON will probably only make up for the lost capacity of Stitch closing without replacement.

I'm focusing this on MK, because this thread is for the WDW version specifically. I don't object to PatF being added to the park, but changing an already popular ride to make it happen feels so out of line with Magic Kingdom's needs, however well intentioned the reasoning behind it may be. The park is crying out for real, substantial improvements, but gets ignored time and again.

In a perfect world, this overlay would be part of an ongoing effort to make the park the best it can be. I don't agree with every change they've made in the last few years, but DLP's castle park has seen an amazing restoration of sorts that has truly improved the guest experience and I wish the same would happen in Florida. Instead, this bit of capital spending will likely be seen as the equivalent of a new ride and the rest of the park will remain in a kind autopilot for years while admission increases and guests struggle with convoluted operations just to ride it.

I think that what frustrates me overall.
2 minutes for self quoting

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom