News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

WazHatter08

The concept art they released along with it (with Tiana and Naveen) looks absolutely disgusting. It’s not even that I’m saying that becuz it’s closing but still the concept art they released with the announcement looks like Bob Chapek farted colors on a screen and decided to release it

Lil Copter Cap

Not to stray too far from the topic, but Epic Universe will come with its fair share of hotels over a period of time (upwards of 4-7). Universal is absolutely doubling down with 'week long stays' as opposed to those coming for a Disney World trip and visiting Universal as an add-on experience. It should be noted that Loews will be operating these hotels—as opposed to Disney's owned and operated hotels.

Once numbers start showing a shift in guest trends (if that's likely), I think Disney may respond. But I genuinely don't see Universal ever overtaking Disney, at least in the Orlando market.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure will have a spotlight on it and if it doesn't deliver, it's not going to bring swarms of people to Magic Kingdom. It'll still be the go-to ride mid-summer to cool off regardless of the theme.

Also something I just thought of: Late 2024? They'll open a water ride as Orlando enters its coldest season? Oof.

doctornick

It's a holdover from the Eisner mentality days. When there was more consistent knee jerk reactions to the competition. Mixed with wishful thinking that Disney will pull out another 5 billion dollars investment package.

Disney should do more, but I do agree that they actually had a pretty good recent run of new things that seem to slip people's minds. Some very excellent individual attractions out of Islands of Adventure, but I actually think the last 7 years go to Disney overall. The previous period to Universal.
I think they are fine right now with a fairly constant stream of openings the past few years. The problem is that if they don’t start doing new builds now or in the next year then the period when EU opens and the year or two after are going to look bleak for WDW. It will be like the 2000s all over again when the parks got stale.

FettFan

I saw the video yesterday and couldn’t believe how much they’re stretching the “mountain” part of things.

They’re apparently taking inspiration from the salt domes of Avery Island (aka where Tabasco Sauce is produced).

Avery Island is on the other side of the state, about 2-3 hours away from New Orleans.
82886DBB-20DA-47E9-B421-9DC32FAC05F3.jpeg

That’s like having Amish Country represented at Liberty Square because “it’s all Pennsylvania”.

Also they came out with the claim that the Avery Island salt domes had the highest elevation in Louisiana is patently false.

That would be Driskell Mountain, out halfway between Shreveport and Monroe and a stone’s throw from the Arkansas border.

Dey done drop de ball here, Cher.

GoneForGood

I saw the video yesterday and couldn’t believe how much they’re stretching the “mountain” part of things.

They’re apparently taking inspiration from the salt domes of Avery Island (aka where Tabasco Sauce is produced).

Avery Island is on the other side of the state, about 2-3 hours away from New Orleans.
View attachment 650265
That’s like having Amish Country represented at Liberty Square because “it’s all Pennsylvania”.

Also they came out with the claim that the Avery Island salt domes had the highest elevation in Louisiana is patently false.

That would be Driskell Mountain, out halfway between Shreveport and Monroe and a stone’s throw from the Arkansas border.

Dey done drop de ball here, Cher.
I WANTED to say just this. With how they are touting it being authentic...Yeah red flag for me.

Look. I get that this is an overlay for Splash Mountain, so they kind of HAVE to make these stretches. Personally, IF they keep the underground scenes and try to pass them off as a salt mine (Which as shown above is hours away from NOLA, where the story is centered and to honor). Eeeeh, not sure how i'll feel about that..It would strike me as...lazy?

But I want to hear more of this first. Perhaps they'll get other "cultural" aspects of this right, here's hoping.

FettFan

But I want to hear more of this first. Perhaps they'll get other "cultural" aspects of this right, here's hoping.

Even that falls apart because culturally, Avery and the Lafayette area is worlds apart from New Orleans.

That part of our state is very much Cajun, predominantly rural and French. Mardi Gras there is more community based and features folks dressed in French clown costume.

Mardi_Gras_in_Tee_Mamou_Louisiana_2020_02.jpg

New Orleans is Creole, with heavier Spanish and Afro-Caribbean influence.
Plus the fact that Nola is a port city makes it more of a cosmopolitan melting-pot thanks to immigrant influx from Germany, Italy, and Ireland (collectively known as the Yats) and give the “Eastern New Orleans accent” that distinct New York sound.

Kirby86

I WANTED to say just this. With how they are touting it being authentic...Yeah red flag for me.

Look. I get that this is an overlay for Splash Mountain, so they kind of HAVE to make these stretches. Personally, IF they keep the underground scenes and try to pass them off as a salt mine (Which as shown above is hours away from NOLA, where the story is centered and to honor). Eeeeh, not sure how i'll feel about that..It would strike me as...lazy?

Honestly that's the issue with this retheme from a creative standpoint you're limited by what you can do. You can't change the flume its set in place. All the sets are made of concrete so minus the Imagineers going in with sledgehammers the sets are going to look similar. That brings this question up now in the Laughin Place/ salt mines part of the ride is the water still going to shoot once the retheme is open? If it does how long do you think Disney will keep it running before they decide its not worth fixing that effect? These are the questions I'm wondering about.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Let's just leave it as "a hot mess in progress" as the highest elevation in New Orleans is 6.5 feet above sea level while most of the (currently) reclaimed swamp lands are 4.92 to 9.84 feet below sea level. Could they change the story to address the hazards of building below sea level (WDW) or where there isnt sufficient water (DL) ?

Smiley/OCD

It is a horrible name. The logo is the antithesis of what a water thrill ride should be. They recorded a "research trip" from two weeks ago to try to market this. The whole things stinks to high heavens and the company is actively devouring its own legacy. I'd leak what they're up to but they still haven't solidified anything other than three animatronics.

This has Journey Into Imagination written all over it.
That’s my biggest concern…that this is going to be turned into another MMRR, with screens out the wazoo and the AA’s added to someone’s collection with Buzzy.

With TWDC’s reputation as of late, I don’t believe for one second that this will be reopened when they say in ‘24.

I REALLY, REALLY hope I’m wrong and I will be the first one to admit such, but I just have a gut feeling that this will be a half *** job and it will be a mere shadow of splash.

FettFan

Let's just leave it as "a hot mess in progress" as the highest elevation in New Orleans is 6.5 feet above sea level while most of the (currently) reclaimed swamp lands are 4.92 to 9.84 feet below sea level. Could they change the story to address the hazards of building below sea level (WDW) or where there isnt sufficient water (DL) ?

Tiana’s Broken Levee Adventure?

hurricane-katrina-levee-gettyimages-55724028.jpg

LittleBuford

I really don’t understand why the actual elevation of New Orleans / Louisiana matters at all, whether to commenters here or to the Imagineers in the video. Do people care about such accuracy anywhere else in Magic Kingdom? We’re not talking about a World Showcase pavilion here, but a ride that’s always involved a huge leap of the imagination (there’s quite a difference between Chickapin Hill and Splash Mountain).

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I really don’t understand why the actual elevation of New Orleans / Louisiana matters at all, whether to commenters here or to the Imagineers in the video. Do people care about such accuracy anywhere else in Magic Kingdom? We’re not talking about a World Showcase pavilion here, but a ride that’s always involved a huge leap of the imagination (there’s quite a difference between Chickapin Hill and Splash Mountain).

Because its not even plausable.

1656773952574.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom