News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Heath

If one is allowed to be intellectually honest, the forced perspective of trying to look as tall as possible, to now now trying to make it as low as possible, is symbolic of blandishing apple-polishing. Seems supersillyosciousatrocious.
Apple Polish Mountain

EPCOT-O.G.

Looks like they're going to completely change the scale of the mountain. Instead of making it look taller with forced perspective, they'll be trying to make it look as small as possible.

This is a stupid name for a ride that should not be replacing a popular attraction. The name is actually worse because of what it's replacing. I wouldn't mind the name so much if this were being built on an expansion pad.

The fact (if it is a fact) that they filmed the research trip two weeks after the date reveal proves that this was not planned whatsoever prior to 2020. And it kind of seems like they spent the next two years not doing anything. To the retheme apologists, how do you account for this long layoff? Doesn't this bode ill for a well-done attraction?
Maybe they watched Benjamin Buttons and Treme during the lockdowns to get an authentic feel for the location/era.

bryanfze55

It's a holdover from the Eisner mentality days. When there was more consistent knee jerk reactions to the competition. Mixed with wishful thinking that Disney will pull out another 5 billion dollars investment package.

Disney should do more, but I do agree that they actually had a pretty good recent run of new things that seem to slip people's minds. Some very excellent individual attractions out of Islands of Adventure, but I actually think the last 7 years go to Disney overall. The previous period to Universal.
DISNEY WORLD since 2015:
1. Rise
2. MF:SR
3. MMRR
4. FoP
5. NRJ
6. SDD
7. (don’t @ me, I didn’t name it)
8. GotG: CR
9. Remy
10. Tron (In production)

UNIVERSAL:
1. Kong
2. Fast and Furious (if this counts as a plus)
3. Jimmy Fallon
4. Hagrid’s
5. Velocicoaster

Yes, the last 7 years have gone to Disney. The issues with Disney over the last 7 years deal more with price increases, crowds, and logistics. I personally don’t find any of these rides that great other than arise, but it’s hard to say they haven’t been willing to spend money or build rides in response to the Wizarding World.

Universal may have built two VERY good coasters in this time period, but they’re not making strides towards being a destination for all generations. Not everyone wants thrill rides. They have very few rides with no height requirement, and honestly they seem uninterested in remediating that.

celluloid

DISNEY WORLD since 2015:
1. Rise
2. MF:SR
3. MMRR
4. FoP
5. NRJ
6. SDD
7. *** (don’t @ me, I didn’t name it)
8. GotG: CR
9. Remy
10. Tron (In production)

UNIVERSAL:
1. Kong
2. Fast and Furious (if this counts as a plus)
3. Jimmy Fallon
4. Hagrid’s
5. Velocicoaster

Yes, the last 7 years have gone to Disney. The issues with Disney over the last 7 years deal more with price increases, crowds, and logistics. I personally don’t find any of these rides that great other than arise, but it’s hard to say they haven’t been willing to spend money or build rides in response to the Wizarding World.
Universal may have built two VERY good coasters in this time period, but they’re not making strides towards being a destination for all generations. Not everyone wants thrill rides. They have very few rides with no height requirement, and honestly they seem uninterested in remediating that.
Go back one more year and you have Hogwarts Express and all of Diagon Alley.

Not saying Uni has had all slam dunks but Diagon Alley was another masterpiece they just came off of at the time, Kong was a complete addition, not replacement as was Velocicoaster(Raptor Encounter was the trike replacement, to the dormant sure years before that, it just moved across the street)

You so left out Bourne Stuntacular.

And Uni has two parks. I say minus Rise of the Resistance, it is pretty even at worst.

The two theme parks without land managed to build Kong without losing anything and enchancjng capacity.

I agree about the sad lack of no height requirement family spanning rides, which they used to have completely at studios and Kong's height requirement seems odd.

Blue Ridge.
On the VA coast? Near Jamestown settlement?
pchssp.png

Point is, we're talking animated movies here. So whether it's mountains in the Louisiana bayou or Yosemite Valley 2.0 near the Virginia shoreline... nobody should try to think too much about these details. ;)

bryanfze55

Go back one more year and you have Hogwarts Express and all of Diagon Alley.

Not saying Uni has had all spam dunks but Diagon Alley was another masterpiece they just came off of at the time, Kong was a complete addition, not replacement as was Velocicoaster(Raptor Encounter was the trike replacement, it just.moved across the street)

And Uni has two parks. I say minus Rise of the Resistance, it is pretty even at worst.
Well we can’t just “minus” the best ride on this entire list. It exists. If we throw in Diagon Alley, we also have to throw in New Fantasyland (yes, inferior but it was around the same time). But let’s call it even over the last decade or so - that cuts against the notion people have that Disney has been totally complacent while Universal has been aggressively playing catch-up. Disney might take forever to build things, but they have been getting built. And I’m no apologist - a lot of Disney’s stuff has been crap. But a lot of Uni’s has been crap, too.

celluloid

Well we can’t just “minus” the best ride on this entire list. It exists. If we throw in Diagon Alley, we also have to throw in New Fantasyland (yes, inferior but it was around the same time). But let’s call it even over the last decade or so - that cuts against the notion people have that Disney has been totally complacent while Universal has been aggressively playing catch-up. Disney might take forever to build things, but they have been getting built. And I’m no apologist - a lot of Disney’s stuff has been crap. But a lot of Uni’s has been crap, too.

If the theme park with more than double the resources and reputation is even with the two park resort....that is a sad situation.

I more or less just wanted to get the omitted there.

There is also still not a star wars ride that has no height requirement and is an easy going ride for the entire family.

And I agree. The theme parks for the most part the last decade have been big IP feast or carnival/simulator project delivering famine.

Only one company however, is master planning an entire new theme park resort complex during all of this and admitting their mistakes.

bryanfze55

If the theme park with more than double the resources and reputation is even with the two park resort....that is a sad situation.

I more or.less.jist wanted to get the omitted there.

And I agree. The theme parks for the most part the last decade have been big IP feast or carnival/simulator project delivering famine.

Only one however, is master planning an entire new theme park resort complex during all of this.
Epic changes the equation. Disney doesn’t have to respond to Epic right now. They’re still finishing the projects that were announced as a result of Potter. My assumption is they will be done with new projects for the next few years, and then my hope is they respond with new projects once Epic is operating. At the end of the day, commendable as it is that Uni is building an all new park, WDW shouldn’t build a new theme park. They have too many theme parks, if anything. They need to continue to expand the parks they have.

celluloid

Epic changes the equation. Disney doesn’t have to respond to Epic right now. They’re still finishing the projects that were announced as a result of Potter. My assumption is they will be done with new projects for the next few years, and then my hope is they respond with new projects once Epic is operating. At the end of the day, commendable as it is that Uni is building an all new park, WDW shouldn’t build a new theme park. They have too many theme parks, if anything. They need to continue to expand the parks they have.
Uni expands their parks as well as a resort with a new park,
And according to your post it seems contradictory to the other points. Disney does not need to respond and is still finishing up projects that responded to Potter sounds like playing catch up to me and most. So semantics I guess but I am not sure what else playing catch up would be then.

And to the main point in the rest of your post is the the biggest issue. Bob Iger's failed promise of focusing on expanding the parks the company had in the US when he took over the role of CEO,

And had failed to do so since capacity has lessened as popularity increased.

Midwest Elitist

I more or less just wanted to get the omitted there.

There is also still not a star wars ride that has no height requirement and is an easy going ride for the entire family.

Only one company however, is master planning an entire new theme park resort complex during all of this and admitting their mistakes.
This. If we're going for proportional capacity, Uni wins hand down with the space they have.

Once Uni adds the 12 or so rides at Epic Universe, that formula will change.

Disney4family

Her clothes look appropriate enough to me.

M-Dafoe_May.jpg

We thought she looked like she was on the Jungle Cruise. Surprised they didn't put here there.

Sir_Cliff

Uni expands their parks as well as a resort with a new park,
And according to your post it seems contradictory to the other points. Disney does not need to respond and is still finishing up projects that responded to Potter sounds like playing catch up to me and most. So semantics I guess but I am not sure what else playing catch up would be then.

And to the main point in the rest of your post is the the biggest issue. Bob Iger's failed promise of focusing on expanding the parks the company had in the US when he took over the role of CEO,

And had failed to do so since capacity has lessened as popularity increased.
I think Disney is catching up to the lag between demand and capacity that they themselves created due to under-investment for a long period rather than anything Universal has done. Put another way, are they adding new attractions because the parks are losing attendance to Universal or are they adding them because the parks are slammed and can't handle demand?

Obviously part of the logic is the need to entice people to visit, but I struggle to see Disney as sweating too much the scenario of parks emptying out once Epic Universe opens.

Also must say that I think people might be a bit too rhapsodic about what a game changer EU represents. It does fill out Universal as a resort, but it looks to me as though it replicates everything that is annoying in theme park design right now, including at Disney. Specifically, the park is almost entirely single-IP lands, so you really have to care about those IPs for the park to be enticing. One of those IPs also already has an entire land at each of the existing parks. There's no overarching theme or logic to the park and the name is emptier than that people are complaining about for Tiana's Bayou Adventure. So, if you're annoyed about the IP invasion of the Disney parks and rolling your eyes at the Magic Kingdom-ization of them all, I don't get why you'd be any more excited about Epic Universe.

Sir_Cliff

GoneForGood

I thought WDW Splash was more based to Oklahoma?

Mainly considering how it looks almost identical to Gloss Mountain.
(and the folks who did the music for the bluegrass tracks were Oklahoma based as well)

maemae74

Love splash and I am going to miss it but this super cute and fun. Born and raised in South Louisiana so super excited to see if they can hit the nail on the head so to speak with their representation of such a great city and state.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom