News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

bryanfze55

Splash Mountain was a terrible name. Had nothing to do with the story of the ride. It wasn't a mountain in the story, nor in real life (50 feet do not a mountain make). And the 'splash' part of the name was from Eisner who wanted to promote the film, "Splash."

Imagine the hoots and hollers the ride's name would have received if it opened in the Internet Age.
  • They're just recycling America Sings AAs... no new AAs is just Eisner being cheap.
  • You know, in the story, it's specifically a "hill." Disney is over doing it calling everything a 'mountain'!!
  • Can you believe it's called "Splash" not because of actual splashing, but because Eisner wanted to promote "Splash" the movie??!!!
  • Y'all know this is from a racist movie, right?
Simple names are good. I shouldn’t have to tell my kids “Come on rascals, let’s go ride Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: Breakout!”

Sir_Cliff

Remi's Ratatouille Adventure and Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure are also terrible, if that helps. They're terrible because they're derivative and uninspired.
I'm not sure I find the name terrible as such, but I must say that seeing all the examples of where Disney and other parks stick Adventure into a title, it does seem lazy and a bit of a crutch as a naming convention. Not just in this case, but more generally.

It's also notable that none of those "Adventure" rides have titles that have worked their way into the popular consciousness in the manner of a Pirates of the Caribbean, Autopia, Matterhorn, or, well, Splash Mountain.

bryanfze55

Have you ever taken them on Star Wars Land's Galaxy's Edge, Batuu: Blackspire Outpost's Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run?
Precisely. Why do we need “Millennium Falcon” and “Smugglers Run” in the title? Pick one and move on. Someone at WDI is obsessed with colons.

The actual title of the other ride there is “Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.” Why does Disney feel the need to tell us the source material before the name of the ride?

Stupido

I really love Tiana’s new look for the ride. It’s really clever seeing Tiana’s style becoming more influenced by her mother Eudora, while still being true to her own flair. It really helps put the focus on the generational beauty of Black Women. If the rest of the attraction is paid as closely to as Tiana’s updated look, I really think think this is going to be something special.

I can’t wait to see her finale look as well.

Ayla

Here's the new look for Tiana from the EssenceFest panel this afternoon -

"From researching prevailing trends of the 1920s – the era in which our story takes place – to looking through family archives, the team ensured Tiana’s look was historically accurate and authentic to the character. “Tiana was equally at home in the bayou as she was at a banquet,” Muldrow said. “We wanted her look to reflect that, and be a compliment to the story’s setting.”

Attendees heard about the creative process as well, and the considerations taken in developing a unique hairstyle for Tiana. The team placed emphasis on the versatility of Black women’s hair and its significance to our identity across geographies and generations.

There’s an important story about the Black community that needs to be told, and to be able to do it at ESSENCE Fest is something special. Ida shared in our intention and enthusiasm for revealing this concept at ESSENCE Fest. “Our efforts are a tribute to the beauty and dignity of all the proud Black women who came before us,” Muldrow said. “And to their great-grand daughters joining us on the journey today, we’re celebrating with you.” Our team has spent a great deal of time to ensure our representation of Tiana is authentic, and giving festival goers a first look at that research proves we’re doing something right."

Uh, that's great, but the VAST majority of women did not wear pants in the 1920's. 🤦‍♀️

Lil Copter Cap

I do find it fun that Tiana's Bayou Adventure and Ariel's Undersea Adventure will be in the same park... it secretly makes me want then to rename 7DMT to Snow White's Gem Mine Adventure, Peter Pan's Flight to Tinkerbell's Neverland Adventure, and Magic Carpets of Aladin to Jasmin's Agrabah Adventure...

I hate to be that person, but you're thinking of the copy/paste version in Disney California Adventure. Magic Kingdom's is Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid (a nod to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea that was in its footprint).

Sir_Cliff

I hate to be that person, but you're thinking of the copy/paste version in Disney California Adventure. Magic Kingdom's is Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid (a nod to 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea that was in its footprint).
If only they had of gone with Ms. Ariel's Crazy Clams as a tribute to Mr. Toad. 😞

Incomudro

I
What a bad name. How can you get ride of the Splash Mountain name? Why not name it Tiana's Splash Mountain if you want her name in there somewhere
I'd imagine that a good portion of the people who do not want this re-do would not be happy with the beloved name "Splash Mountain" left in the title.
I don't love the name, nor want the change - but honestly in and of itself, the name isn't really that different from the way the park has always named things.

JustInTime

Okay. I think I came up with a better name that disney would never in a million years use.

“Mama Odie’s Swamp Tour”

It’s set up like backyard bayou swamp tours that are an essential part of Louisiana’s rich history. Think handmade signs. Critters everywhere. All is well until Mama Odoe’s magic goes wrong and you are shrunk down to frog size. That’s where the adventure begins. It would use tech from Mystic Manor. It also would explain why there is a massive drop. Because you are frog sized!

It’ll never happen, but that’s how I’d do it.

Tom Morrow

Precisely. Why do we need “Millennium Falcon” and “Smugglers Run” in the title? Pick one and move on. Someone at WDI is obsessed with colons.

The actual title of the other ride there is “Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.” Why does Disney feel the need to tell us the source material before the name of the ride?

It's for marketing purposes and clarity. "Smuggler's Run" is the proper name but isn't as enticing or clear as including Millennium Falcon in the title. In the days before the internet, they didn't have to be as clear with the attraction names because people weren't doing heavy research beforehand, but as a result the simpler names were better and more memorable.

Prince-1

Tiana doesn't normally wear pants, this is just how she's dressed for the Bayou Adventure. It wouldn't be at all practical to go on a dangerous journey through the Bayou in a dress.

Well Jane went through a jungle in a dress. That just proves who is a tougher woman.

1656709940613.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom