News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Kirby86

I mean, there is a wdw presentation on Sunday that is 40 mins long. Idk what it could be about there
It could be but it could also just be an extended meet and greet with Tiana (I know she already has a short one of the docket) since it seems that is the same length as the other meet and greets. Also isn't there a Princess and the Frog playground at Epcot? I think we will hear something about splash though not sure how significant.

Disney Glimpses

It could be but it could also just be an extended meet and greet with Tiana (I know she already has a short one of the docket) since it seems that is the same length as the other meet and greets. Also isn't there a Princess and the Frog playground at Epcot? I think we will hear something about splash though not sure how significant.
Well, they wouldn't label a Meet & Greet as "Walt Disney World - TBD." They also explicitly said to expect announcements during this event. I'd say it's almost certain we'll here updates during this 40 minute slot.

Which if it ends up being in the wdw presentation, I guess that could indicate wdw is first to be rethemed? To me, that's one heck of a choice.
I have heard this as an outside possibility due to timing of new attraction openings. I think a few here posted alluding to that as well.

Kirby86

Like I said I think we're getting news on Splash one way or the other and I do think the WDW presentation makes the most sense. It could be a solid timeline or another interviews with the Imagineers. I'm just playing devil's advocate since the timeline matches every other Fan Zone meet and greet.

tanc

I'm going to say that's quite a risky move, Florida may not be as kind with reception to the retheme and with Disney seemingly trying to impress Japan enough I am quite shocked if it's really going to be done in Florida first. Only a few days to find out, but I guess they may just want to take the brunt of it right away.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
After 2 years of so called "Big Announcements" leading to nothing, the only way I won't see this as a waste is if:
  • We get something along the lines of "Splash is closing on [DATE] for it's exciting Tiana re-imagining"
  • Actual art that shows a scene from inside the ride (And not the same one we have)
  • (I doubt they'd do this publicly) An announcment saying it's been bumped back or cancelled flat out

Ayla

I think the allure of doing anything with TSI is that that area is the most logical way to expand the footprint of Magic Kingdom by any significant amount. While not much could be built where TSI is currently, to the north of there is a pretty big pad that could be used for a rather larger new land... certainly large enough for something with a Phase I and Phase II. But the only logical way to get back there is by axing TSI and Rivers of America (Otherwise, you have Thunder Mountain and/or Haunted Mansion in your way). I do like the idea of parking the River Boat near Splash Mountain to tie in with Princess and the Frog, but I think the loss of the kinetic movement of the riverboats would be a significant loss.
Isn't that where they launch the fireworks from?

Kirby86

I'm going to say that's quite a risky move, Florida may not be as kind with reception to the retheme and with Disney seemingly trying to impress Japan enough I am quite shocked if it's really going to be done in Florida first. Only a few days to find out, but I guess they may just want to take the brunt of it right away.
Oh without a doubt Florida will not take this change as kindly as our friends in California will.

yensidtlaw1969

I'm sort of surprised any time I hear someone suggest that WDW fans will be harsher on the retheme than Disneyland fans.

Historically, Disneyland fans have pretty much always been known to hold their park to higher standards than people do in the swamps, and they have reaped the benefits of that in the form of higher show quality standards, greater respect for history, and (relatively speaking) more conscientious park management.

A quick look at Disneyland's 50th Anniversary Celebration compared to Walt Disney World's might be enough to show the difference in the fanbases. Each coast is tuned to what its guests will settle for.

Californian Elitist

I'm sort of surprised any time I hear someone suggest that WDW fans will be harsher on the retheme than Disneyland fans.

Historically, Disneyland fans have pretty much always been known to hold their park to higher standards than people do in the swamps, and they have reaped the benefits of that in the form of higher show quality standards, greater respect for history, and (relatively speaking) more conscientious park management.

A quick look at Disneyland's 50th Anniversary Celebration compared to Walt Disney World's might be enough to show the difference in the fanbases. Each coast is tuned to what its guests will settle for.
A few years ago, they temporarily turned DL’s Main Street Cinema into a gift shop. I think that shop lasted three days. The move made a lot of DL fans very angry and they took to social media. That was the quickest turnaround I’ve ever seen.

yensidtlaw1969

A few years ago, they temporarily turned DL’s Main Street Cinema into a gift shop. I think that shop lasted three days. The move made a lot of DL fans very angry and they took to social media. That was the quickest turnaround I’ve ever seen.
I remember that - it truly was shocking, in the best way. Their responsiveness was commendable, and absolutely fueled by guest response.

Part of me almost hoped the Disneyland Splash Mountain would see its transformation first - the onus would be on Disney to wow the Disneyland folks, and if they fell short they'd almost certainly have to go in and improve things if they ever wanted DL fans to shut up about it. Then WDW would have to somewhat closely follow suit or risk being seen as the "budget" version by comparison.

Now, all this may not matter because they might just get it right the first time . . . and boy am I crossing my fingers and toes for that.

IanDLBZF

If I had to guess.

Splash closes 09/12/22

PatF opens 05/24/24

If you don’t think they can retheme a ride in a year and a half you’re blinded by the current construction pace and a hatred by modern Disney.
I'd think a January 2023 closing and at least either a summer or fall 2024-2025 opening would be a best case scenario.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
IMG_7923.jpeg

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I can see a discussion with Kemp Powers (Soul, Pixar's first black writer-directoe) and Stella Meghie (writer-director of upcoming Tiana series). Presumably they'd talk about working with Disney and then include info on the attraction. Essence Fest is about celebrating culture so Disney needs to be careful to not focus too much on the ride itself at the expense of the people and ideas behind what they're doing, so I'm not expecting much more than a talk and maybe some new drawings.
Assuming it's the untitled WDW presentation on July 3 I think they've hit the respect objective. I hope the first WDW panel focuses on black cast members and imagineers lile Charita Carter, and hopefully Disney doesnt make them share a spotlight with Splash, which is ultimately less important at this event than promoting the people. Keeping the Sunday event untitled tempers expectations enough through the weekend so focus is kept on the rest of what's presented. Placing near the end of the last day minimizes attention from being drawn from other presentations. Or it won't be this time slot and we're barking up the wrong tree. 😄

I don't think WDW on the list means WDW is first. I think it’s just a marketing opportunity because (1) WDW's 50th and (2) WDW is, practically speaking, the closest park for many attendees.

Not Splash specific but the schedule overall looks incredible! I hadn't heard OF some of these projects like "Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur." My only complaint is that some times for people like Keke Palmer and Moses Ingram seem too short.

Anyway, I think I'm now signed up to attend for free, so we'll see how far "free" goes and what costs extra.

tanc

Are you referring to the New Orleans focused preview? Sorry... just saw my name affixed to a post and can't tell where we're at in the conversation.
There is an event that is TBD on the schedule about WDW. It was sort of a stretch to ask if you knew anything about it.

Well anyway as of today I guess we will see. The Hulu live stream is only for the singing part which is tonight but I still have yet to find if Disney is live streaming the event or we will need to wait for a press release for a lot of this stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom