News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MerlinTheGoat

The "grapevine" I heard from just two weeks ago claims that PATF in Florida (presumably CA too, the discussion was just specifically about Florida) is still full steam ahead and is slated to close down shortly after Tron opens in 2023. They claim Tron isn't making 2022, and i'm very inclined to believe it.

I hope I won't get in trouble for sharing this, I can't validate where I got it from either. A small handful of other people following this thread will know where I got it. I have a strong desire for Visionary Soul and EagleScout to be correct and will be ecstatic if my grapevine turns out to be wrong (said grapevine would also be happy to be wrong). However, I don't want people to get their hopes up here. For fans of Splash Mtn, no news is good news. They're not going to announce it's canned, but the longer Disney goes without acknowledging and/or sharing new info, the better the chances it has been canned. Maybe D23 will provide a decent litmus test, if it's radio silence on the project throughout the event then i'd actually start to believe there's something to Visionary and Eagle's sources.

As for Disneyland cloning Tokyo's new Space Mountain, literally no idea. It may depend on whether Tokyo signed some sort of exclusivity contract. Someone told me that ever since Hong Kong's first round of expansions, most newer Asian attractions have had contracts attached preventing their attractions from being cloned for about 5 years after opening. This is apparently why Shanghai Disneyland didn't have a Toy Story Land when it first opened, and also why Tron was a 2021 project for WDW (before the delay). It may also be why Paris and Hong Kong are getting a clone of Epcot's Frozen ride instead of Tokyo's reportedly VERY different and far more elaborate variant. I don't know if Tokyo has signed a similar contract for their Space Mountain retheme, we'll see.

Comped

As for Disneyland cloning Tokyo's new Space Mountain, literally no idea. It may depend on whether Tokyo signed some sort of exclusivity contract. Someone told me that ever since Hong Kong's first round of expansions, most newer Asian attractions have had contracts attached preventing their attractions from being cloned for about 5 years after opening. This is apparently why Shanghai Disneyland didn't have a Toy Story Land when it first opened, and also why Tron was a 2021 project for WDW (before the delay). It may also be why Paris and Hong Kong are getting a clone of Epcot's Frozen ride instead of Tokyo's reportedly VERY different and far more elaborate variant. I don't know if Tokyo has signed a similar contract for their Space Mountain retheme, we'll see.
Far as I understand Space's redo is not under an exclusivity contract.

doctornick

Has this changeover been scheduled yet? I'd rather not read 320 pages of people debating racism to find out.
There was a recent claim from someone that the replacement with PatF has been canceled but it hasn’t been confirmed and is quite possibly just false.

However, There have been reliable insiders indicating that both the MK and DL plans have hit some snags

Trauma

There was a recent claim from someone that the replacement with PatF has been canceled but it hasn’t been confirmed and is quite possibly just false.

However, There have been reliable insiders indicating that both the MK and DL plans have hit some snags
I’m really hope it does go forward, just as a new ride. With the parks needing more capacity its aggravating to see a replacement instead of a new build.

Especially when rides like Stitch just sit empty.

Build a new ride. Make it the greatest ride ever made! I’ll happily give Chapek his $15 so I can have the privilege of standing in line.

Just the risk of doing something like this is silly.

What if they replace splash and the new ride is terrible? I don’t mean splash lovers don’t like it. I mean straight up terrible.

That would make for some interesting headlines.

drizgirl

I’m really hope it does go forward, just as a new ride. With the parks needing more capacity its aggravating to see a replacement instead of a new build.

Especially when rides like Stitch just sit empty.

Build a new ride. Make it the greatest ride ever made! I’ll happily give Chapek his $15 so I can have the privilege of standing in line.

Just the risk of doing something like this is silly.

What if they replace splash and the new ride is terrible? I don’t mean splash lovers don’t like it. I mean straight up terrible.

That would make for some interesting headlines.
You mean what if they put in a bunch of screens and only 1 animatronic?

What are the odds.

Trauma

You mean what if they put in a bunch of screens and only 1 animatronic?

What are the odds.
Well let’s look at the latest big “replacement”
With railway. It’s a fun ride. I enjoy it. I would rather have had it built somewhere else and had movie ride refurbed.

If they want me to buy the genie give me a reason too by having enough rides in the park to actually get some value from it.

FigmentJedi

My understanding on the primary Dragon Tower attraction was that the story conceit was "Evil Dragon is Evil" and we are recruited by bats to get a treasure that the Dragon is protecting. Then the unicorn maze didn't have much other than the Unicorn grotto at the end.

I imagine Dragon Tower would have been a very fun attraction, but I'd be very surprised if there ever was a version of this park's evolution that would include both Dragon Tower and Expedition Everest or even Dragon Tower and the Excavator.

As to the actual fit in the park, @LittleBuford is probably correct. It probably didn't hit any of the core themes of DAK, other than maybe transformation through adventure which admittedly is amongst the more generic of those themes. I highly doubt the intrinsic and superior power of nature concept or personal call to action were ever in play in Beastly Kingdom. Both of those concepts are in play as part of Pandora.
The core myth of the Unicorn is the instructions on how to hunt them for their healing horns. There's a very obvious anti-poaching story to have with an attraction where you have to put in the effort to find a unicorn and spare it.

EPCOT-O.G.

Well let’s look at the latest big “replacement”
With railway. It’s a fun ride. I enjoy it. I would rather have had it built somewhere else and had movie ride refurbed.

If they want me to buy the genie give me a reason too by having enough rides in the park to actually get some value from it.
Look at the thread on SSE. It’s clear the current powers that be do not like dark rides with extensive animatronics. They’re enamored with quick throughput rides lasting less than 5 minutes that rely on screen and projection technology. Any existing dark rides that last 10+ minutes and have tons of AA’s (what with their pesky maintenance) are being phased out. SSE is being left to languish.

aladdin2007

Look at the thread on SSE. It’s clear the current powers that be do not like dark rides with extensive animatronics. They’re enamored with quick throughput rides lasting less than 5 minutes that rely on screen and projection technology. Any existing dark rides that last 10+ minutes and have tons of AA’s (what with their pesky maintenance) are being phased out. SSE is being left to languish.
fearing American Adventure is on their list for those very reasons. belongs in another thread I know but just adding to your comment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom