News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

tanc

Sad to see that statue go, was a nice homage but I completely expected it to happen. I guess Tokyo will be the only place to see the Br'ers now. Wonder if the big statue with Br'er fox and Br'er bear is next.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Sad to see that statue go, was a nice homage but I completely expected it to happen. I guess Tokyo will be the only place to see the Br'ers now. Wonder if the big statue with Br'er fox and Br'er bear is next.
I think if we lose the big statue on either coast we're in trouble

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Which big statue?
9158DB2D-0795-4584-8FEB-3AACFB6D60DE.jpeg

Ghost93

Also, this Reimagine Tomorrow video should destroy the ridiculous rumors that Disney is going to leave the Magic Kingdom version of Splash Mountain intact. With the recent removal of the Brer Rabbit statue, it should be clear that Disney is eliminating every trace of Song of the South it can.

Last edited by a moderator:

EagleScout610

Premium Member
Also, this Reimagine Tomorrow video should destroy the ridiculous rumors that Disney is going to leave the Magic Kingdom version of Splash Mountain intact. With the recent removal of the Brer Rabbit statue, it should be clear that Disney is eliminating every trace of Song of the South it can.
I don't think anyone thinks either Splash on either coast is completely safe. It's more how many other things thet have going on/the 50th that probably will delay the redo

Last edited:

RCID

well…I agree that these things need to be addressed….but only if Disney is going to fix all the issues (for example mansions jokes about suicide is incredibly offensive…). I have always loved splash and between re theming it and things like prices increasing, this entire Genie+ cash grab, and others we have 0 trips planned in the next five years. Used to go every other year.

Just as I expected all the bronze statues were removed not just Brer Rabbit there are pictures online had a feeling all the bronze statues were gonna get replaced with the gold ones for the 50th

Stupido

Im just afraid of getting some value engineering here. Im not sure disney is willing to spend the kind of money to do this right.

IE my fear is we get the retheme because "feelings" but its sub par because "money" i dont want it to FEEL like an overlay.
This is a common fear about the retheme that I just truly don't understand. Disney is maaaaaany things, but they're not stupid. They know that retheming one of their most popular rides of all times is a huge risk, and their audience is already very split on this decision. I can't see Disney cutting corners on this project for that reason alone. SO many eyes are going to be on this project, and there is a huge segment of their audience that is actively hoping it fails so that they have something they can complain about. Disney could permanently hire Anika Noni Rose, put her in the lilypad dress, and have her singing live for every single boat that rolls past her, and people will still find something to complain about. I truly think Disney is going to sprinkle as much pixie dust on this to quiet as many of the naysayers as possible. Especially with all of the other attractions that were cut to push this budget further. Call me naive, but I really think the finished product is going to be something super special.

Last edited:

matt9112

This is a common fear about the retheme that I just truly don't understand. Disney is maaaaaany things, but they're not stupid. They know that retheming one of their most popular rides of all times is a huge risk, and their audience is already very split on this decision. I can't see Disney cutting corners on this project for that reason alone. SO many eyes are going to be on this project, and there is a huge segment of their audience that is actively hoping it fails so that they have something they can complain about. Disney could kidnap Anika Noni Rose, put her in the lilypad dress, and have her singing live for every single boat that rolls past her, and people will still find something to complain about this retheme. I truly think Disney is going to sprinkle as much pixie dust on this to quiet as many of the naysayers as possible. Especially with all of the other attractions that were cut to push this budget further. Call me naive, but I really think the finished product is going to be something super special.

Idk frozen is still the only recent overlay we have to go by. So i guess time will tell.

Stupido

Idk frozen is still the only recent overlay we have to go by. So i guess time will tell.
That's kind of like comparing apples and rhinestones though.

The original Maelstrom ride was cute and fun, but it was never anywhere close to as beloved as Splash Mountain is. They weren't replacing a theme park icon when they were overlaying it. Also, the thought process behind that overlay was completely different. Frozen was an absolute phenomenon, and they wanted to get that IP into the parks as quickly as possible. With this retheme, they chose to do this to remove something that they felt guests would see as problematic, and replace it by amplifying voices of color to promote inclusion and make good on the company's former mistakes.

I get that it's easy and logical to compare it to the most recent retheme, but if you actually look at the rides themselves and the motivations behind these overlays, it's a completely different situation, and I would expect completely different outcomes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom