News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MerlinTheGoat

If people like most of what's there, it's quality, and it fits thematically with whatever they weave together, I don't see why re-use automatically makes it bad. Also, I enjoy many of the newer attractions, but there's really very little point in arguing about it as opinions are opinions. My only point was that definitively stating that it will be shoddy, insulting, and wholly destructive of the original experience is somewhat premature when we're still at the point at which we haven't even seen legitimate concept art. Expressing concern over the final product is not the same as pre-judging it wholesale, and I haven't commented on anyone simply doing the former.
The problem is that except for the riverboat finale, the scenery used for WDW doesn't fit thematically at all with what they're doing. Disneyland's environment is at least already set in a darker bayou-like setting. WDW is not a clone of the Disneyland ride and uses completely different settings. The environments are rolling grassy hills and farmland with brightly lit sunny blue skies. Even the type of trees and foliage used are completely different, using non-wetland types such as oaks or elms instead of Disneyland's weeping willows. Almost every room in the entire ride will have to be gutted and redesigned from scratch to fit PATF's bayou setting.

splash-mountain-gallery04.jpg

95% of the animal designs from the PATF movie also don't fit the current cast of animatronics whatsoever. Louis is the only potential exception, I could possibly see some of the Brer Bear working as reskins. But the shapes and sizes of pretty much all of the other real animals in PATF don't fit with any of the others. The main animals used in Splash Mountain (foxes, geese, chickens etc) are mostly large bipedal anthropomorphic designs with more human-like shapes and proportions. Basically comparable to the character designs used in Great Mouse Detective, Robin Hood, Zootopia etc. The PATF animals however are much smaller and shaped more like actual animals. Essentially the types of animal designs used in Bambi, 101 Dalmations, Lion King etc.

The more they keep from the existing versions of Splash Mountain, the more inappropriate and unfitting it will look with the new theme/setting. But on the flipside, if they gut everything and rebuild from scratch, it's pretty much guaranteed that the new scenes will be comparably far less detailed and have nowhere near the same amount of animatronics as before.

DisneyDodo

95% of the animal designs from the PATF movie also don't fit the current cast of animatronics whatsoever. Louis is the only potential exception, I could possibly see some of the Brer Bear working as reskins. But the shapes and sizes of pretty much all of the other real animals in PATF don't fit with any of the others. The main animals used in Splash Mountain (foxes, geese, chickens etc) are mostly large bipedal anthropomorphic designs with more human-like shapes and proportions. Basically comparable to the character designs used in Great Mouse Detective, Robin Hood, Zootopia etc. The PATF animals however are much smaller and shaped more like actual animals. Essentially the types of animal designs used in Bambi, 101 Dalmations, Lion King etc.
One of the new pieces of concept art (or “inspiration art” if you will), definitely shows animals more in line with the former design.
1629893978293.jpeg

Sir_Cliff

That round table was so awkwardly forced and felt wrong that they were publicly bragging on the donation aspect.
I actually thought the video was fine, but I must say that the donation seemed a little puny to make that big of a deal about. I mean, how long does it take Bob Chapek to earn $50,000?

Sir_Cliff

I thought Tiana lived to cook...now she also does swamp tours? How does she have time while running her Palace restaurant? This plotline doesn't make any sense at all from the start. It's Mardi Gras in the swamp? New characters? Bleh
So, ahh, you're saying she should get back in the kitchen?

I'm sure people won't be stressed about who's running the restaurant while she's leading them through the bayou and Mardi Gras. Presumably she has some life outside of the business!

matt9112

I actually thought the video was fine, but I must say that the donation seemed a little puny to make that big of a deal about. I mean, how long does it take Bob Chapek to earn $50,000?

Roughly 10 hours. (Of work time) i did not count non work hours into this. So by tuesdays brunch he has made a smidge more than that in a week.
I also used the publicly available salary numbers and did not factor in bonuses etc that might have not been included in that.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
But she never expressed any interest in the Bayou...so it is out of her character to now be running a swamp tour company when really her dream was to cook and create... It's like Snow White opening a business doing Haunted Forest Tours for guests as a plot line for a Snow White ride...
The tours with tiana angle is an interesting one but I think (hope) that she's just looking for something or someone.

DCLcruiser

But she never expressed any interest in the Bayou...so it is out of her character to now be running a swamp tour company when really her dream was to cook and create... It's like Snow White opening a business doing Haunted Forest Tours for guests as a plot line for a Snow White ride...
The tours with tiana angle is an interesting one but I think (hope) that she's just looking for something or someone.
Louis' trumpet is missing! That is an emergency, and every small-business owner knows that you immediately close the restaurant down and get into a boat. JK.

We don't know the official story and I agree, she may not have a tour company, and if she does, that just means she is a serial-entrepreneur. (Not a bad message to convey...)

DCLcruiser

The drop pulls you in to the ride for the first time, but the great show scenes and songs keep you coming back. I know people that get emotional over hearing Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah because of Splash.

With the shoestring budget this project is rumored to have being spread over both coasts, it’s hard for me to imagine the new show scenes being as good as Splash or anywhere near the animatronic count Splash currently has. We also already know the song selections possible for the attraction, and in my opinion none of them even come close to Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah or even have the quintessential Disney feel that How Do You Do and Laughing Place have.

Which is why I fear the IP change.
I'm not trying to vilify Zip. It is very unfortunate that we may lose an iconic song bc of its problematic movie. I wish we could go back in time to change SotS, but we can't.

Sir_Cliff

I didn't read the pitch as being Tiana was starting a tour company or anything. You're just accompanying her through the bayou. Not really sure why people seem to find this so out of character. She spent a lot of time there in the film and this takes place after the film, so the idea she would go back doesn't seem like some kind of bizarre left turn.

dreday3

I didn't read the pitch as being Tiana was starting a tour company or anything. You're just accompanying her through the bayou. Not really sure why people seem to find this so out of character. She spent a lot of time there in the film and this takes place after the film, so the idea she would go back doesn't seem like some kind of bizarre left turn.

Maybe she turns into a frog again for our Bayou tour!

(anything can happen...)

drizgirl

I thought Tiana lived to cook...now she also does swamp tours? How does she have time while running her Palace restaurant? This plotline doesn't make any sense at all from the start. It's Mardi Gras in the swamp? New characters? Bleh
She knows how to bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan. And I'm sure she never lets Naveen forget he's a man (important when one used to be a frog).

GimpYancIent

Rather than Tiana being a guide I think Dr. Facilier as the chronicler of the adventure w Tiana featured as the main character interacting with the others could be interesting. Of course at the end of the ride Dr. Facilier and his friends from the other side bid you a good day. That will spice it up a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom