News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Roger_the_pianist

Isn't Splash Mountain just a hill? Chickapin Hill? There aren't a lot of significant mountains in central Georgia where Song of the South is set, especially heading south from Atlanta, which is where I gather Johnny's grandmother's plantation is located.

People making the arguments about no mountains in Louisiana, Tiana out of place in Frontierland, etc...are just people who don't want the new project to go forward because they are defending the "lost cause" of original Splash 😑

Ghost93

Yeah Disney is going to pretend that the current theme for the ride never existed if the behind the attraction show is still around when this project is finished they will gloss over the current theme if it's mentioned at all. As for this video although this is said to be for both Disneyland and Magic Kingdom it seems like the focus is mostly on Land.
Disney has really gone out of its way to avoid mentioning Song of the South as much as possible. While media outlets have made the connection that Disney is replacing Splash to get away from the SotS theme, in all press releases released by Disney related to the retheming there hasn't been anything said about SotS...just statements about the power of diversity and how Tiana is inclusive. I honestly don't think Disney will ever fully address the Song of the South controversy.

For example, in the Imagineering Story on Disney Plus, Angela Bassett makes one brief comment about how Splash Mountain is based on "an old, problematic movie called Song of the South" and she gives no further elaboration. The documentary did not explain:
1. Why Song of the South was problematic
2. Why Song of the South was chosen as a theme in the first place
3. How the Disney company's relationship with SotS has evolved since the development of Splash Mountain. SotS was released FOUR times between 1972 and 1986. In that era of Disney history, it was a profitable movie and generally regarded as a Disney classic by white Americans (it did still receive criticism from Black Americans, but the criticism wasn't as prevalent as the original 1946 release).

The documentary could have said how the ride wanted to capitalize on the Brer characters (which were popular in the parks at the time) while leaving behind the more offensive and racist aspects of the movie (The plantation setting, Uncle Remus, the Tar Baby, etc.). But Disney didn't do that because they didn't want people to dwell on Song of the South or the past mistakes they made.

I believe that once the retheme does happen, it would be a good opportunity for Disney to have a "Behind the Attraction" episode that explores the creation of the original Splash Mountain and thoroughly explains WHY it was problematic and why it was rethemed to Princess and the Frog. But knowing Disney, I doubt such a serious and uncomfortable topic like that will be addressed.

Captain Neo

Isn't Splash Mountain just a hill? Chickapin Hill? There aren't a lot of significant mountains in central Georgia where Song of the South is set, especially heading south from Atlanta, which is where I gather Johnny's grandmother's plantation is located.

People making the arguments about no mountains in Louisiana, Tiana out of place in Frontierland, etc...are just people who don't want the new project to go forward because they are defending the "lost cause" of original Splash 😑
GA has Stone Mountain

DCLcruiser

Disney has really gone out of its way to avoid mentioning Song of the South as much as possible. While media outlets have made the connection that Disney is replacing Splash to get away from the SotS theme, in all press releases released by Disney related to the retheming there hasn't been anything said about SotS...just statements about the power of diversity and how Tiana is inclusive. I honestly don't think Disney will ever fully address the Song of the South controversy.

For example, in the Imagineering Story on Disney Plus, Angela Bassett makes one brief comment about how Splash Mountain is based on "an old, problematic movie called Song of the South" and she gives no further elaboration. The documentary did not explain:
3. How the Disney company's relationship with SotS has evolved since the development of Splash Mountain. SotS was released FOUR times between 1972 and 1986. In that era of Disney history, it was a profitable movie and generally regarded as a Disney classic by white Americans (it did still receive criticism from Black Americans, but the criticism wasn't as prevalent as the original 1946 release).

The documentary could have said how the ride wanted to capitalize on the Brer characters (which were popular in the parks at the time) while leaving behind the more offensive and racist aspects of the movie (The plantation setting, Uncle Remus, the Tar Baby, etc.). But Disney didn't do that because they didn't want people to dwell on Song of the South or the past mistakes they made.

I believe that once the retheme does happen, it would be a good opportunity for Disney to have a "Behind the Attraction" episode that explores the creation of the original Splash Mountain and thoroughly explains WHY it was problematic and why it was rethemed to Princess and the Frog. But knowing Disney, I doubt such a serious and uncomfortable topic like that will be addressed.
Just let it fade into oblivion.

This is like history. You learn about the bad things, and the grey areas, in higher levels of learning. In school, at museums, etc. You don't need to rehash it in cartoons.

I agree Disney should use this as a teachable moment, and Hulu allows them to do it. That being said, the movie itself is an issue and they don't want to give it light, so it doesn't come up directly.

The updated ride will probably retain enough Splash elements to provide a nod to the nostalgia of the old ride.

Ghost93

Just let it fade into oblivion.

This is like history. You learn about the bad things, and the grey areas, in higher levels of learning. In school, at museums, etc. You don't need to rehash it in cartoons.

I agree Disney should use this as a teachable moment, and Hulu allows them to do it. That being said, the movie itself is an issue and they don't want to give it light, so it doesn't come up directly.

The updated ride will probably retain enough Splash elements to provide a nod to the nostalgia of the old ride.
I'm not saying Disney should support/glorify Song of the South, because they shouldn't. I'm saying they should at some point release a documentary explaining what it was, why it happened and why it was a mistake. But as it is, the company has taken ridiculous lengths to avoid mentioning it.

They don't have to address it of course, but I think it would be a good move for the company to finally examine its history in a documentary format, explain how they've evolved as a company and then move on.

Kirby86

Yeah I Watched the Imagineering Story and must have missed the reference to Splash in it.

Disney Glimpses

Do you mean the cost to re-theme will be so great that it's a write-off?

Or do you mean that Tiana can't bring in enough revenue?
Neither really. Say the cost of the attraction is $200 million. The math is how much more money does the new attraction bring over the previous. Splash Mountain sold millions in merchandise and tickets, will the new attraction outpace those sales to reach $200 million? It's going to take a very, very long time to see any financial upside to this re-theme.

But that is no secret. They know the current attraction is popular. This move isn't to make money, they've more or less admitted it. It's to rid the theme park of the attraction based on the movie that "depicts happy slaves," as Bob Chapek put it.

Disney Glimpses

I'm not saying Disney should support/glorify Song of the South, because they shouldn't. I'm saying they should at some point release a documentary explaining what it was, why it happened and why it was a mistake. But as it is, the company has taken ridiculous lengths to avoid mentioning it.

They don't have to address it of course, but I think it would be a good move for the company to finally examine its history in a documentary format, explain how they've evolved as a company and then move on.
They could've taken the opportunity to remake the film with an accompanying documentary that does what you just mentioned. But instead, they are sweeping it under the rug entirely.

UNCgolf

GA has Stone Mountain

There are a decent number of actual mountains in Georgia, mainly in the northeastern corner of the state. Some are a few thousand feet in elevation. I'm not sure Stone Mountain is technically a mountain but it's not close to being the tallest in the state regardless.

Not that it really matters, because the Br'er stories are not set in the Georgia mountains. Completely different topography.

DCLcruiser

Yes, they could do that. Again, Hulu provides a platform that is adult enough for the content.
Neither really. Say the cost of the attraction is $200 million. The math is how much more money does the new attraction bring over the previous. Splash Mountain sold millions in merchandise and tickets, will the new attraction outpace those sales to reach $200 million? It's going to take a very, very long time to see any financial upside to this re-theme.

But that is no secret. They know the current attraction is popular. This move isn't to make money, they've more or less admitted it. It's to rid the theme park of the attraction based on the movie that "depicts happy slaves," as Bob Chapek put it.
Tiana could outpace the existing IP's revenue since it mostly exists in the parks. Tiana exists all over Disney; it can have a sequel, a Disney+ series, sell more toys/merchandise, increase sales for DCL Wonder thanks to new interest in the restaurant, Tiana's Place, and increase MK ticket sales by offering a "new" (updated) ride.

The Br'er IP cannot do that. Splash is a medium for delivering an IP. Tiana has a brighter future.

999th Happy Haunt

Tiana could outpace the existing IP's revenue since it mostly exists in the parks. Tiana exists all over Disney; it can have a sequel, a Disney+ series, sell more toys/merchandise, increase sales for DCL Wonder thanks to new interest in the restaurant, Tiana's Place, and increase MK ticket sales by offering a "new" (updated) ride.

The Br'er IP cannot do that. Splash is a medium for delivering an IP. Tiana has a brighter future.
All of those things could happen/exist without a Splash re-theme

britain

It's the re-theme that is reinvigorating interest in Tiana. That will help increase her popularity and revenue stream.

Splash as is, is stale. It's not really pulling in Gen Z. It's not like they are watching a Splash XD show, etc.

For what its worth, I'm always grateful for anything that shines a spotlight on PatF. It was unfairly deemed a flop, in my opinion.

999th Happy Haunt

Splash as is, is stale. It's not really pulling in Gen Z. It's not like they are watching a Splash XD show, etc.
As of this second it has the second highest wait in the world’s most popular theme park, so I would say it’s far from stale. If anything, inserting a princess theme could push the teenage and older crowds away from the attraction.

UNCgolf

It's the re-theme that is reinvigorating interest in Tiana. That will help increase her popularity and revenue stream.

I'm not sure I'd call Splash stale -- it's generally one of the busiest rides at the Magic Kingdom, so plenty of people are still interested.

The retheme was inevitable, though, and isn't this thread supposed to be discussing the new attraction itself and not reasons for the retheme?

DCLcruiser

For what its worth, I'm always grateful for anything that shines a spotlight on PatF. It was unfairly deemed a flop, in my opinion.
Agreed. I never saw it when it was new, my mistake, but after watching it, it's great for a princess movie.

As of this second it has the second highest wait in the world’s most popular theme park, so I would say it’s far from stale. If anything, inserting a princess theme could push the teenage and older crowds away from the attraction.
It's got a big drop into water. Of course it is popular.

That doesn't mean the revenue from the characters/ride couldn't be higher with new IP.

I'm not sure I'd call Splash stale -- it's generally one of the busiest rides at the Magic Kingdom, so plenty of people are still interested.

The retheme was inevitable, though, and isn't this thread supposed to be discussing the new attraction itself and not reasons for the retheme?
Does the ride bring in additional money, or is it there and people like it? The IP could also be toxic in the future if Gen Z and Gen whatever after feels awkward about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom