News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

SamusAranX

Likely right. But it would be refreshing if they confronted the issues directly and educated more people. And it wouldn't have to just focus on the past at Disney but could examine the entire past of the entertainment industry. And where it is currently. Disney can and should lead here. As they already are in many ways.

That's why I don't buy the "sincerity" at all of what Disney is doing.

correcaminos

Likely right. But it would be refreshing if they confronted the issues directly and educated more people. And it wouldn't have to just focus on the past at Disney but could examine the entire past of the entertainment industry. And where it is currently. Disney can and should lead here. As they already are in many ways.
Not sure people really care to be educated.... granted I am not for erasure of movies like this simply so we can learn from our past, but what you suggest is an uphill battle. Maybe some day though, but I doubt anytime soon.

That's why I don't buy the "sincerity" at all of what Disney is doing.
Better than leaving it though. This is a no win situation IMO

jt04

Not sure people really care to be educated.... granted I am not for erasure of movies like this simply so we can learn from our past, but what you suggest is an uphill battle. Maybe some day though, but I doubt anytime soon.

Better than leaving it though. This is a no win situation IMO

I'm more optimistic but we will see. Disney+ can open up a lot of possibilities.

correcaminos

I'm more optimistic but we will see. Disney+ can open up a lot of possibilities.
Given what I've seen IRL and here, I'm likely not as optimistic. I find those that already kind of understand would watch or read something like that. Those who really are the ones who should watch/read wouldn't dream of doing so. Working in DEI has showed me that repeatedly. Very rarely does it rub off on the public as a whole. Eventually it will change but not expecting it in my lifetime or even my kid's.

Disney+ does have the ability to reach more for sure though.

Bocabear

i think the concept are looks awesome, Im looking forward to this refresh
The concept is highly romanticized... Doubtful they would have outdoor animatronics in that location... All the atmospherics that wouldn't actually be there go a long way to making this look good, but it is all concept... I look forward to seeing more imagery based on the actual changes...not just suggestions of what could possible happen.

correcaminos

I guess that's where we can agree to disagree. That discussion has been hashed out multiple times. I think adding a cultural exhibit to explain the origins of the Br'er characters, whether in the queue or as part of the attraction, would have been the best middle road.
We can agree to disagree. I think adding an exhibit won't do a darn thing, but I have little faith it would help those who would need it most. Leaving stereotyped characters and doing an exhibit is like saying "you don't matter enough for me to make a change" but that's my view after listening to others. But absolutely we can agree to disagree. I personally think it's time and also maybe it won't break down so much with a refurb. It was down every day we had available to ride it this past trip. I wasn't even bummed I didn't get on though.

Bocabear

I suspect that some of those who are suggesting the addition of an educational exhibit emphasising the current theme’s African roots would have reacted very badly had Disney gone down this didactic route before 2020. I can just imagine the cries of “Why are the woke mob forcing their cultural agenda down our throat?” and “Can’t we just enjoy a ride about animals without being preached at?”
Actually it would have been great from the start...It is always nice to know the origins of the source material... Like Cinderella in France and Pinocchio from Italy...

LittleBuford

Actually it would have been great from the start...It is always nice to know the origins of the source material... Like Cinderella in France and Pinocchio from Italy...
Perhaps you've always felt this way about Splash Mountain. I just don't recall any references to the ride's educational value or potential before the announcement of the retheme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom