News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Inspired Figment

Like I pointed to before… “taking things out of/not knowing the context intended”. That’s exactly where the issues stem regarding the film.
I genuinely feel that if we were to see all the filmmakers notes, hear the story behind the film’s creation, & knew their intentions. It’d help clear nearly everything up for everybody.

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

Like I pointed to before… “taking things out of the context intended”. That’s exactly where the issues stem regarding the film.
I genuinely feel that if we were to see all the filmmakers notes, hear the story behind the film’s creation, & know their intention. It’d help clear nearly everything up for everybody.
I also see people use the term "stereotypes" regarding the film. An odd word selection considering literally every single actor/actress portrays a stereotype of the character they are playing; that is literally how film/acting works.

GimpYancIent

It has been a couple of decades at least since I last saw SoS and the only thing I have ever gotten out of it was the ground breaking cinematic work blending live actors w animation at a time the technical capabilities really did not exist. Now there are special effects and CGI that put SoS's effects to shame but at the time it was ground breaking. The tune Zippi Di Do Da to me is not toe tapping but excellent background sound (kind of like elevator music). That's about all I got out of it and splash, to me, is just a fun ride I never got wrapped up in the theming.

Disney Glimpses

NAACP's comment around the release of the film is likely a contributing factor:

“The NAACP regrets, however, that in an effort neither to offend audiences in the North or South, the production helps to perpetuate a dangerously glorified picture of slavery … [the film] unfortunately gives the impression of an idyllic master-slave relationship, which is a distortion of the facts.”

Inspired Figment

NAACP's comment around the release of the film is likely a contributing factor:

“The NAACP regrets, however, that in an effort neither to offend audiences in the North or South, the production helps to perpetuate a dangerously glorified picture of slavery … [the film] unfortunately gives the impression of an idyllic master-slave relationship, which is a distortion of the facts.”
Yep.. and it still goes back to the film not being viewed through the context/the way the filmmakers’ initially intended it I believe. It was not intended to be a glorified look at the South during the time of slavery, but rather the reconstruction era and a Disneyified version of the Joel Chandler Harris Uncle Remus book . Where in that particular regard, the issue many people have with that (which I understand) is that I don’t think the proper credit & focus in regards to legacy was given to the actual people who actually wrote the stories, but rather the person who collected those stories & published them. In all honesty ‘that’ problem would/could also be fairly simple to fix but yeah..

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Like I pointed to before… “taking things out of/not knowing the context intended”. That’s exactly where the issues stem regarding the film.
I genuinely feel that if we were to see all the filmmakers notes, hear the story behind the film’s creation, & knew their intentions. It’d help clear nearly everything up for everybody.
Far from helping your argument that the problem is with those who’ve taken things out of context, the film’s production history simply underscores the extent to which African-American voices have been sidelined in this debate:

According to the Jan. 6, 1946 The Daily Worker, both Clarence Muse and Rhythm and Blues band leader Tiny Bradshaw turned down roles in the film because they felt the picture would be "detrimental to the cultural advancement of the Negro people." Bradshaw declared it would “set back my people many years.”​

Disney had hired Clarence Muse in 1944 to offer advice on the production. He was an African-American lawyer, writer, director, composer, and actor. Disgusted with the poor opportunities for black lawyers he then selected a show business career.​

Unfortunately, Muse quit Disney early in 1944 after his ideas to portray the African-American characters in the film as more dignified and prosperous were rejected by Southern writer Dalton Reymond. Once Muse left Disney, he began to inform people about the nature of the Disney feature while it was still in the rough draft outline and before radical leftist screenwriter, Maurice Rapf had been brought in to make the script more acceptable.​

Muse wrote letters to the editors of black publications that Disney was going to depict Negroes in an inferior capacity and that the film was "detrimental to the cultural advancement of the Negro people."​

MerlinTheGoat

Wouldn’t this line of dialogue be him transitioning into telling the stories of Br’er Rabbit? “Where the humans and the critters co-mingled with eachother”? That isn’t in reference to the time of slavery, it’s in reference to a time before that.
It absolutely is up to interpretation. And many chose to interpret that line as him speaking about slavery. I agree with your interpretation.
Yes, in its proper context the line is clearly referring specifically to the Brer Rabbit fable. It's even used to directly transition into it (there's literally a crossfade into the cartoon segment while the line is being said). It makes zero sense as meaning "we were better off as slaves".

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

I think it's interesting that Chapek mentioned how highly rated Splash is. I guess it's not too surprising though, I think I remember @lentesta saying it was the highest rated ride in MK, but I could be misremembering.

From a chart in the 2021 Unofficial Guide I mentioned before;

While Splash Mountain is is most age groups top 10 (excluding pre schoolers and teens), the most popular ride by group is as follows:

Pre Schoolers: Buzz Lightyear
Grade Schoolers: Buzz Lightyear
Teens: Big Thunder Mountain
Young Adults: Big Thunder Mountain
Over 30: Haunted Mansion
Seniors: Haunted Mansion

Note the above is rides, not attractions. Happily Ever After ranks as #1 for most groups.

owlsandcoffee

From a chart in the 2021 Unofficial Guide I mentioned before;

While Splash Mountain is is most age groups top 10 (excluding pre schoolers and teens), the most popular ride by group is as follows:

Pre Schoolers: Buzz Lightyear
Grade Schoolers: Buzz Lightyear
Teens: Big Thunder Mountain
Young Adults: Big Thunder Mountain
Over 30: Haunted Mansion
Seniors: Haunted Mansion

Note the above is rides, not attractions. Happily Ever After ranks as #1 for most groups.

Really says a lot. The priorities are fun, thrills, and entertainment. I have a feeling most people will find those things in the new Splash Mountain.

Animaniac93-98

Really says a lot. The priorities are fun, thrills, and entertainment. I have a feeling most people will find those things in the new Splash Mountain.

I will say though that the main reasons people either skip the ride or don't choose it as a favourite (the big drop, getting wet, young children who aren't tall enough) will still be there regardless of what story it tells.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Screenshot_20210516-083241_Instagram.jpg

Of all scenes on Splash I'm gonna miss this one the most

Inspired Figment

I mean, Louis is a bit of a moron. I could definitely see them doing something similar with him as a homage to the original Splash.
Supposedly that’s the plan in mind.. as opposed a ride about Br’er Rabbit and his antics with Br’er Fox & Br’er Bear (the classic Br’er Rabbit tales).. it’s Louis chasing after his trumpet which gets lost in the stream, with comedic gags along the way before making it to Tiana’s Mardi Gras celebration.

jt04

Supposedly that’s the plan in mind.. as opposed a ride about Br’er Rabbit and his antics with Br’er Fox & Br’er Bear (the classic Br’er Rabbit tales).. it’s Louis chasing after his trumpet which gets lost in the stream, with comedic gags along the way before making it to Tiana’s Mardi Gras celebration.

Puts the focus on music which is a good choice. The ride system itself writes the storyline which should be second or third on the priority list imo. Great concept 💡

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom