News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

jt04

There’s a fine line between theming and decoration.

I dare say a boat on top of a dead tree is decoration not theming.

Somewhat agree if they don't better blend the attraction with the surrounding area. This is probably the major problem currently with the exterior ride aesthetics. It is just a dead tree and out of context.

Last edited:

jt04

Zip a Dee Do Dah is one of the best songs Disney has in their entire catalog, so saying better music is a stretch. I don't think any of the Princess and the Frog songs are classics (not that they're bad -- I like all of them) but none of the other SotS songs are all that great either, except maybe How Do You Do.

I also wouldn't hold my breath for a coherent storyline. They haven't really done that much in recent builds. While both Star Wars rides have one, Frozen Ever After, Mickey and Minnie, and Navi River Journey are all lacking, and their early description of the ride sounds a lot like Frozen Ever After.

The exterior theming is up in the air. Sure, that concept art looked impressive, but I don't expect they'll actually build something that looks like that. Could be pleasantly surprised, though.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not opposed to the retheme at all. I completely understand why they're doing it. I just don't have a lot of faith that they're going to create something that's even remotely comparable to what currently exists.

My comment on the storyline was more a criticism of the current ride and the vast potential of PatF.

Same for the musical style which fits the ride system potentially better than old-fashioned standards. Just my opinion here but there just seems to be an opportunity to create something more unique and an adaptation of the current arrangement specific to the attraction and ride system. (A new Disney parks soundtrack that becomes classic in time?)

That is why they need to address all aspects like they once did. Too often recently they budget for one or two elements and save money elsewhere. Mermaid has great exteriors at both parks and a lot of investment went into computer programming but they probably budgeted too little for the actual ride elements, story and soundtrack. And the wait times reflect that. IMO.

DisneyDean97

Zip a Dee Do Dah is one of the best songs Disney has in their entire catalog, so saying better music is a stretch. I don't think any of the Princess and the Frog songs are classics (not that they're bad -- I like all of them) but none of the other SotS songs are all that great either, except maybe How Do You Do.

I also wouldn't hold my breath for a coherent storyline. They haven't really done that much in recent builds. While both Star Wars rides have one, Frozen Ever After, Mickey and Minnie, and Navi River Journey are all lacking, and their early description of the ride sounds a lot like Frozen Ever After.

The exterior theming is up in the air. Sure, that concept art looked impressive, but I don't expect they'll actually build something that looks like that. Could be pleasantly surprised, though.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not opposed to the retheme at all. I completely understand why they're doing it. I just don't have a lot of faith that they're going to create something that's even remotely comparable to what currently exists.
At one point I heard Disney was going to completely remove Zip a Dee Do Dah from all of their music loops. What a shame if that happens. Other than When You Wish Upon A Star, Zip a Dee Do Dah is the most iconic and is always associated with the theme parks (not just splash).

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
At one point I heard Disney was going to completely remove Zip a Dee Do Dah from all of their music loops. What a shame if that happens. Other than When You Wish Upon A Star, Zip a Dee Do Dah is the most iconic and is always associated with the theme parks (not just splash).
You should call the # for Walt Disney World vacation planning, they love playing several songs from Splash Mountain.

cookiee_munster

it's only a couple of mins long, but I really love this song. I'd be surprised if it made it into the ride it'd make a nice addition tho.

I think most of the ride will have "dig a little deeper" throughout. I think it's a pretty good song to use all the way through. I can't see the build up/lift hill to the end drop being as apprehensive/dark like it is now. I think the energy going up will be more of excitement/wonder.

It was removed from Disneyland’s loops, but magic kingdoms loop still plays it for now, it’s worth pointing out the magic kingdoms loop is actually Tokyo Disneyland’s in some way since laughing place is used as well as the woodys roundup theme

MadTeacup

I can't see the build up/lift hill to the end drop being as apprehensive/dark like it is now.
Honestly, I hope it is. Ever since Disney first announced this reskin all I could think about is how I hope the lift is made into a "Friends on the Other Side" scene, ending in Dr. Facilier's demise.

As unhappy as I am about this reskin and as much as I don't respect their timing in announcing it, I respect Disney's choice. I still believe that if Iger had done something, ANYTHING to acknowledge SotS during his time as CEO and honored Woopie's request to re-release the film with an appropriate contextual disclaimer, we could have held on to the attraction. Unfortunately, SotS has reached the point where its taboo is the stuff of legend. I personally find the film's inaccurate representation of life at the time far less offensive than other moments from Disney films such as Jim Crow from Dumbo and the "Indians" from Peter Pan because it's not directly mocking a culture and people. SotS instead misrepresents the lifestyle of these people and disrespects the true history of a culture, something that fortunately does not carry over into the animated segments. It's unfortunate to me that in Splash's case the entire ride theme is being scrubbed while Dumbo and Peter Pan are acceptable as long as there is no mention of their offenses going into the future. To me, this is a double standard. Then we get back to the problem of the taboo around SotS which Disney has brought upon itself. The ultimate reality is that this reskin is necessary while the others aren't. I hear many mentions of a remake and while there's a small chance that could have worked ten years ago, the backlash today would be unbearable. If you're looking for someone to blame for this, blame leadership from the Eisner to Iger eras that refused to open the vault on SotS. Disney was long past the point of no return when this announcement was made and reskinning the ride is now the only way out of this mess that was created. I know many people think this inclusivity push is Disney being "woke" but what it really comes down to is protecting the business. In the end, they will lose more business from people who are offended by something than from people who are upset about change. Conversely, they may actually gain business as more people think that Disney may care about them and respect their culture.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
As unhappy as I am about this reskin and as much as I don't respect their timing in announcing it, I respect Disney's choice. I still believe that if Iger had done something, ANYTHING to acknowledge SotS during his time as CEO and honored Woopie's request to re-release the film with an appropriate contextual disclaimer, we could have held on to the attraction.
Disney was long past the point of no return when this announcement was made and reskinning the ride is now the only way out of this mess that was created. I know many people think this inclusivity push is Disney being "woke" but what it really comes down to is protecting the business. In the end, they will lose more business from people who are offended by something than from people who are upset about change. Conversely, they may actually gain business as more people think that Disney may care about them and respect their culture.
This is 100% Disney's approach of "Let's lock SotS in the basement and pretend it's some horrible monster that can't see the light of day" for decades backfiring hard. They can't throw it on D+ or re-release it without facing extreme backlash. Their only option is to remove the theme

SailorMercury

This is 100% Disney's approach of "Let's lock SotS in the basement and pretend it's some horrible monster that can't see the light of day" for decades backfiring hard. They can't throw it on D+ or re-release it without facing extreme backlash. Their only option is to remove the theme
They can rerelease it as an “educational racism bad” release, but there’s no way they’d do that.

LittleBuford

I still believe that if Iger had done something, ANYTHING to acknowledge SotS during his time as CEO and honored Woopie's request to re-release the film with an appropriate contextual disclaimer, we could have held on to the attraction.
I suspect releasing the film in this way, with an open acknowledgement of its problematic nature, would have accelerated rather than prevented the decision to change Splash Mountain’s theme.

I personally find the film's inaccurate representation of life at the time far less offensive than other moments from Disney films such as Jim Crow from Dumbo and the "Indians" from Peter Pan because it's not directly mocking a culture and people.
I for one don’t find the crows in Dumbo mocking as such, though they are caricatural.

Disney Glimpses

Not sure if anyone here caught Chapek's comments in March (very obscure academic livestream) re: Splash Mountain (where he oddly said Splash Mountain is over 60 years old), but it is quite clear this re-theme is unequivocally going to happen in both domestic parks.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Not sure if anyone here caught Chapek's comments in March (very obscure academic livestream) re: Splash Mountain (where he oddly said Splash Mountain is over 60 years old), but it is quite clear this re-theme is unequivocally going to happen in both domestic parks.
So they're waiting til Splash turns 60? Great!

When did Chapek say this?

Kate F

I’m sure someone here will find a way to defend this:
1C63552F-4BF7-47DF-9A55-FB52605A8D74.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom