News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Disney Glimpses

as it seems Bob Chapek isn’t nearly onboard with this as much as Iger is. We’ll see what happens in January.
Kinda ironic considering the long time WDW fan, to whom Splash Mountain is beloved, hates Chapek. But Chapek is also a no-nonsense, everything must have financial upside type of guy. So, this re-theme is the exact opposite of what Chapek would do if given sole ownership over these decisions.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Diverting funds for Splash Mountain would be a good thing; even for those who don't want this to happen.

Let's be clear: This re-theme is going to happen. If it's not this year, it will happen in five years or ten years. Point is, it will absolutely happen. If they are going to do it now, I'd prefer they pull money from Tron temporarily rather than doing it insufficiently.

Question is, what happens to Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah? A song that's second to only Wish Upon A Star in Disney history (and widely used in instrumentals throughout the parks).
I think most people are aware Splash has pretty much always had a limited shelf life. I think its just the "when" is the big discussion right now. "When" and "How"

Last edited:

Disney Glimpses

I think most people are aware Splash has always pretty much had a limited shelf life.
For sure, though I still see some people having hope that they'll let it quietly fade away and never return. The re-theme can be really great. I don't necessarily agree with the reasons but just because they are redoing a classic doesn't mean it is going to be bad. It can be bad, for sure, but if it's not - everyone wins.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
For sure, though I still see some people having hope that they'll let it quietly fade away and never return. The re-theme can be really great. I don't necessarily agree with the reasons but just because they are redoing a classic doesn't mean it is going to be bad. It can be bad, for sure, but if it's not - everyone wins.
I do like the idea of the PaTF retheme in California.

Homemade Imagineering

I think most people are aware Splash has always pretty much had a limited shelf life. I think its just the "when" is the big discussion right now. "When" and "How"
Agreed. There's also a fine line between erasing and demolishing an attraction from the parks entirely, and re-theming an already existing attraction with good bones. The sensationalism has been nothing but exhausting, and at times I've been worried they'd go after my favorite attractions for the same reason Splash was targeted. I must realize, that Splash was a special case among the other attractions at the park, due to its ties to SotS, which, keep in mind, is almost impossible to justify in today's world without removing the SotS theme entirely. Their hands were tied... I also don't think Frederick Chambers is a part of some sick sadistic cult of maniacs who want to purposefully deface the parks...

JC is the first example thus far of one of Walt's classics being altered, and so far if this trend continues, let's hope the other beloved classics overseen by Walt, receive the JC treatment, and not the SM treatment (which, again, is highly unlikely).

Imagine if they decided to demolish all of SM for a PatF E-ticket... then I'd be more concerned with what's going on at WDI, because let's face it, the general public loves SM because it's a thrill attraction. Not because they want to see defunct America Sings AAs (although funnily enough, as an animatronics enthusiast, that's the main reason I enjoy the attraction). Also, with this re-theme, they'll be able to keep the name Splash Mountain intact. SotS never had any significance to the name Splash Mountain, and neither does PatF. Think of it this way... Space Mountain constantly receives overlays, and hyperspace mountain is very much similar to this situation with SM. Even if its temporary, it dramatically alters an already existing experience with good bones, using a preexisting IP, and while the SM re-theme is permeant, the only reason that's the case, is because they want to avoid a PR nightmare. The biggest shock to me thus far, has been the removal of the SM soundtrack, which is also in my eyes, the biggest loss coming out of this re-theme. It really sucks that we'll be losing some amazing compositions, but if done correctly, they could easily adapt the PatF soundtrack into a similar sounding arrangement to that of SM's soundtrack.

Disney Maddux

Diverting funds for Splash Mountain would be a good thing; even for those who don't want this to happen.

Let's be clear: This re-theme is going to happen. If it's not this year, it will happen in five years or ten years. Point is, it will absolutely happen. If they are going to do it now, I'd prefer they pull money from Tron temporarily rather than doing it insufficiently.

Disney could've taken several routes with Song of the South. They could've addressed it head on, potentially 'righting a wrong' by creating a brand new feature film with Brer Rabbit and friends. Use it as a spring board for their fifth key rather than pretending it simply never happened. Instead, they decided not to do this and instead banish the IP entirely. Thus, there is no escaping a re-themed Splash Mountain forever.

Question is, what happens to Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah? A song that's second to only Wish Upon A Star in Disney history (and widely used in instrumentals throughout the parks).
This.

Whether or not PatF is pulled and moved to somewhere else, Splash will still get rethemed to something else.

Brer Panther

My my how things are a changin’. Looks like this project is moving swiftly in California. The Japanese still aren’t on-board, so that means there was no money for the project at WDW, just Disneyland’s... until they delayed / cancelled 3 other projects. That’s right, I’m sorry to report that there now is money for this project on both coasts.

An internal inclusion group at Disney is rapidly becoming known as “the diversity police” and they are quite well supported by Bob Iger. This group is able to outweigh any and all budget shortcomings by re-directing funds. They can basically touch anything that could be construed as outdated or racially insensitive. I foresee this as a short lived group, but they will clean up almost everything while they’re around. If it is even remotely offensive to any population, it will get looked at and most likely changed. (except in Japan’s OLC, where they have no power)

As for Splash Mountain, the timeline remains to be seen, but multiple groups inside and outside of WDI have already begun the long process of actually creating content for the attraction. (Content = Final product to end up in the ride) So, despite Japan’s best efforts, this is happening now. The only thing that could stop it in its tracks is the departure of Bob Iger... as it seems Bob Chapek isn’t nearly onboard with this as much as Iger is. We’ll see what happens in January.
So, the delaying/cancellation of the other projects was indeed to fund the retheme. Suspected as much. Here's hoping Chapek cans the idea once Iger leaves. If not, I hope you all enjoy your screen-filled, done on the cheap, Princess and the Frog-themed log flume.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney Glimpses

So, the delaying/cancellation of the other projects was indeed to fund the retheme. Suspected as much. Here's hoping Chapek cans the idea once Iger leaves. If not, I hope you all enjoy your screen-filled, done on the cheap, ", Princess and the Frog-themed log flume.
I mean that's the other thing. Are they going to put a Rise of the Resistance type effort into this re-theme? Almost certainly not. Which is why I don't understand how any one could support this without at least some hesitation. We're almost certainly getting a worse attraction. And not just that but an attraction that looks/feels like Splash Mountain during some parts but then randomly PATF IP appears. It's going to be bizarre I think.

We're talking about the company that just installed 6 oil rigs in the World Showcase lagoon. Not the company that made Splash Mountain.

Last edited by a moderator:

spresso81

Bob Iger leaving is the best thing that can happen for this company unless you can throw Chapek out too and re-incarnate Walt while have Bob Weiss run TDO.

Disney Maddux

This.

Whether or not PatF is pulled and moved to somewhere else, Splash will still get rethemed to something else.
Which... Just thought of an even better outcome (which, hate on me all you want, but I already love PatF coming here): Put PatF in Fantasyland (gut Fairytale Hall and put a dark ride back in there), and retheme Splash to Western River Expedition. Viola.

TrainsOfDisney

Would there have been a way to create a new “splash mountain” movie that featured the animated characters and songs from the movie without touching the troublesome parts of the original story?

I mean there are very very troubling parts of the original Snow Queen, Little Mermaid, and Sleeping Beauty stories and yet they seem safe in the parks for now.

RSoxNo1

Weis isn’t the person you think he is. I wouldn’t want him running the company. He’s fine at WDI.
I know you don't want to go into the depressing yet to be announced things, but a couple of pointed questions.

• Do you anticipate Jungle Cruise having it's refurb in 2021?
  • Is there an alternative to WDW's Splash Mountain / Princess and the Frog redo or is it simply will they / won't they?

The Visionary Soul

I know you don't want to go into the depressing yet to be announced things, but a couple of pointed questions.

• Do you anticipate Jungle Cruise having it's refurb in 2021?
  • Is there an alternative to WDW's Splash Mountain / Princess and the Frog redo or is it simply will they / won't they?
Yes, I knew about the Jungle Cruise refurbishment before it was announced. Heck, I even alluded to it here before it was announced if you go through my post history.

There is an alternative. For both US Splash Mountains. But it’s likely that alternative will never see the light of day. And for what it’s worth, I actually prefer PatF over that other alternative. As far as a WDW-only alternative, I’m not sure at this point. I know the theme is still a problem with getting it to fit into Frontierland, but I don’t think much is going to change on that front. Besides, Splash Mountain’s placement never made sense in Frontierland anyway.

TrainsOfDisney

Everybody in this thread does understand that if the CEO says “do something, the impact on our brand is too high” and the Board of Directors approves that capital expenditure, then that something has a high likelihood of happening and money appears?
But an “insider” said differently and they know more than the ceo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom