News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

RSoxNo1

Yes, Princess and the Frog's theatrical run was absolutely considered a flop. But in the eleven years since it’s release, it’s been a streaming juggernaut on Netflix and Disney+. A lot of people who missed it in theaters have fallen in love with it on streaming. The characters have all grown in popularity, and Tiana has earned her spot as a beloved princess.
And this is all because internally they thought having Princess in the name was the reason.

Cruzin_PA

I personally would like to see Splash left alone (bias as its my favorite ride). A cheap overlay is my worry. I love the art work that was released, but I feel they are going to rush this to get it in the park, at the expense of a very popular attraction.

I feel that they could put a very nice PatF dark ride where the Swiss Family Treehouse is located, remove Aladdins Carpets, and redo the Agrabah Bazaar to a New Orleans street front, with cafe seating, and a nice New Orleans fountain. That way Tiana gets a proper ride, and we can insert a New Orleans street front that fits into the area.

Haymarket2008

I personally would like to see Splash left alone (bias as its my favorite ride). A cheap overlay is my worry. I love the art work that was released, but I feel they are going to rush this to get it in the park, at the expense of a very popular attraction.

I feel that they could put a very nice PatF dark ride where the Swiss Family Treehouse is located, remove Aladdins Carpets, and redo the Agrabah Bazaar to a New Orleans street front, with cafe seating, and a nice New Orleans fountain. That way Tiana gets a proper ride, and we can insert a New Orleans street front that fits into the area.

With respect, PATF fits less into Adventureland than Frontierland. That would be an enormous mistake. I’ll take a Splash overlay over an Adventureland attraction that 100% doesn’t fit.

MerlinTheGoat

As a reminder, I'll repeat what MansionButler84 said earlier in the thread. Even if you're someone who is okay with the concept of a PATF overhaul, it would still require a budget in the hundreds of millions to do this any sort of justice. AND a talented creative team on board. Most of the talent at WDI is long gone, and what little remains are largely given projects in Tokyo. And even with an ideal budget and creative team, I still expect to see a large-scale removal of animatronics and over-emphasis on video projections in their place.

The current rumor is that this overhaul has an anemic budget. It has some merit as it's the same guy who broke the news of this overhaul and a bunch of other alterations to attractions. He claims it's about $50 million (which may even be generous). That's WAY too low even for the Disneyland version, which doesn't even require as much alteration to the scenery due to already taking place in a swampy environment. WDW however has a completely different setting. Sunny countrysides with lots of farmland. So most of its scenes will need to be gutted and rebuilt from scratch. Requiring an immensely larger budget than DL's already paltry $50 million.

Cruzin_PA

With respect, PATF fits less into Adventureland than Frontierland. That would be an enormous mistake. I’ll take a Splash overlay over an Adventureland attraction that 100% doesn’t fit.
I agree with you, but I was merely looking for space in which you could keep SM and insert a PatF attraction.

The other area which would make great sense is behind the HM show building, with a river boat landing and train station servicing the area, but walkway access is very limited if not impossible.

As a reminder, I'll repeat what MansionButler84 said earlier in the thread. Even if you're someone who is okay with the concept of a PATF overhaul, it would still require a budget in the hundreds of millions to do this any sort of justice. AND a talented creative team on board. Most of the talent at WDI is long gone, and what little remains are largely given projects in Tokyo. And even with an ideal budget and creative team, I still expect to see a large-scale removal of animatronics and over-emphasis on video projections in their place.

The current rumor is that this overhaul has an anemic budget. It has some merit as it's the same guy who broke the news of this overhaul and a bunch of other alterations to attractions. He claims it's about $50 million (which may even be generous). That's WAY too low even for the Disneyland version, which doesn't even require as much alteration to the scenery due to already taking place in a swampy environment. WDW however has a completely different setting. Sunny countrysides with lots of farmland. So most of its scenes will need to be gutted and rebuilt from scratch. Requiring an immensely larger budget than DL's already paltry $50 million.

This is why I don't want an overlay. Removing a classic ride to insert projections and dust the area with Spanish moss will not transform you to the bayou.

lazyboy97o

There is really no reason to believe that $50 million budget. It would just be a completely made up number to deal with completely unknown work. Anyone doing estimating at Disney would instantly know it is too low.

jaxonp

Start doing what? Disney said when they made the announcement that they had not actually done any of the serious work involved in making the project real.
Which is why it’s sad. I hate how politically/racially motivated it was. Let’s save face, do nothing, and see if anyone remembers us saying anything.

Supreme Leader

I'm hopeful that the retheme turns out nice but I'm not exactly confident. I just hope its not a cheap and slapped together overlay. I also think this retheme better fits Disneyland's version with its close proximity to NOS rather than WDW's version which is located in Frontierland. If they want to get rid of the Song of the South theme that's fine but maybe pick a new theme that fits its location. Like, oh, I don't know, a revised version of the Western River Expedition??? And yes, this is the hill I will die on.

GimpYancIent

I'm hopeful that the retheme turns out nice but I'm not exactly confident. I just hope its not a cheap and slapped together overlay. I also think this retheme better fits Disneyland's version with its close proximity to NOS rather than WDW's version which is located in Frontierland. If they want to get rid of the Song of the South theme that's fine but maybe pick a new theme that fits its location. Like, oh, I don't know, a revised version of the Western River Expedition??? And yes, this is the hill I will die on.
The ride has been successful and will continue to be a successfully fun for guests to enjoy regardless of the theme window dressing.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
So you’re saying there’s still a chance the plans could “magically” disappear from WDI computers as well as their backups. Good to know. 😉
tenor.gif

Who knows? They could accidentally throw a book at the computer with the plans

tpac24

I had no idea there was such emotion over this. Love Love Love the splash story but it needs some love for sure. I think the revision will be great. The designs look incredible . Change does suck but unfortunately it has to happen. Although I say that but I am still y they got rid of Mr. Toad.

Last edited:

Incomudro

I had no idea there was such emotion over this. Love Love Love the splash story but it needs some love for sure. I think the revision will be great. The designs look incredible . Change does suck but unfortunately it has to happen. Although I say that but I am still ****y they got rid of Mr. Toad.

We haven't seen the design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom