News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Animaniac93-98

Maybe a “war among their Fanbase” is more appropriate.

At this point, I wish the ride never even existed in the first place.

I don't recall there being much of a "war" prior to this announcement.

Splash Mountain was one of the most consistently popular rides across the three theme parks it existed in. If there ever was strong, vocal support for a retheme I certainly never saw it either on this forum or in other theme park discussions.

Now the people who usually defend Disney with the excuses of "it's not a museum", "don't like it don't go" etc are the same ones defending this change, only now they think they have the added moral high ground of supporting the closure of a "racist" ride (that they themselves enjoyed for years). The added layer of [hypocritical] social judgement on top of trying to justify a "fast-tracked" overlay is what makes this even more frustrating.

[There's also a sub set of left leaning twitter who generally doesn't care about Disney as a corporation or the parks and also approves of this change, like they did the new auction scene in Pirates. It's an easy way for them to show they support social progress and take a shot at a major media conglomerate without actually doing anything and it's easy to dismiss theme park fans who object as dumb people who enjoy low brow entertainment. Right now though, this group seems far more annoyed that Disney laid off 28K people than keeping Splash Mountain open]

Brer Oswald

I don't recall there being much of a "war" prior to this announcement.

Splash Mountain was one of the most consistently popular rides across the three theme parks it existed in. If there ever was strong, vocal support for a retheme I certainly never saw it either on this forum or in other theme park discussions.

Now the people who usually defend Disney with the excuses of "it's not a museum", "don't like it don't go" etc are the same ones defending this change, only now they think they have the added moral high ground of supporting the closure of a "racist" ride (that they themselves enjoyed for years). The added layer of [hypocritical] social judgement on top of trying to justify a "fast-tracked" overlay is what makes this even more frustrating.

[There's also a sub set of left leaning twitter who generally doesn't care about Disney as a corporation or the parks and also approves of this change, like they did the new auction scene in Pirates. It's an easy way for them to show they support social progress and take a shot at a major media conglomerate without actually doing anything and it's easy to dismiss theme park fans who object as dumb people who enjoy low brow entertainment. Right now though, this group seems far more annoyed that Disney laid off 28K people than keeping Splash Mountain open]
It’s worse than “not a museum”. Several “jokes” at the expense of fans of the attraction, calling them “racist” among other things. I was pretty vocal about being upset with these remarks before I left Twitter, so a lot of these “jokes” are made about me or with me in mind.

I know this isn’t the political thread, but I just need to let people know how that makes me feel, waking up every morning knowing that all of these strangers thinking that I have these vile beliefs just because I like Brer Rabbit And Zipadeedoodah. It genuinely feels awful, and I have more than enough to deal with already.

JohnD

I completely agree. The only thing is, to fix that problem, splash doesn't need to be the sacrificial lamb. They could easily build a fitting ride for PatF and kept splash. I personally loved the movie so it kind of upsets me to see that it's only getting a shoehorn instead of getting a from the ground up attraction. You have more faith in Disney than I do, I can't see this being anything more than a basic reskin. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

I agree with you but, sorry, that log has floated. It's a twofer and was always meant to a twofer. Splash had to go. And PaTF was the perfect counter-balance for guests who want to feel "welcome."

Last edited:

Tip Top Club

This is a situation where it feels like the internet and the lack of understanding of text vs. in-person communication is strong. Splash Mountain is one of my favorite Disney rides, but my enjoyment of it really has very little to do with the Brer Characters. It's a well realized attraction with a good layout, excellent show scenes, and the opportunity to cool off on a hot Florida day without getting soaked to the bone.

That being said, I have different experiences than other people, and I realize that the source material has undeniably racist undertones that it would be irresponsible to ignore or promote. Additionally, I think Princess and the Frog is one of the best modern Disney films.

If a new version of the attraction has similar excellent show scenes, and there is no change to the layout (which there won't be), the new version of the attraction will also be an instant classic and will be enjoyable for even more generations to come. I welcome this change and I look forward to a more modern version of Disney Parks that reflect a more broad view of the human story.

JohnD

I don't know why all ears got it wrong, but Blog Mickey has the full quote

Doesn't change anything. It still implies that Splash makes people feel "unwelcome". Here's the quote:

We want to make sure that we’re focusing on inclusivity for our guests as well, so we’ve chosen to speed up some of the work that we had been developing to make sure that our parks remain relevant and welcoming to all of our guests.​

Parker in NYC

It’s worse than “not a museum”. Several “jokes” at the expense of fans of the attraction, calling them “racist” among other things. I was pretty vocal about being upset with these remarks before I left Twitter, so a lot of these “jokes” are made about me or with me in mind.

I know this isn’t the political thread, but I just need to let people know how that makes me feel, waking up every morning knowing that all of these strangers thinking that I have these vile beliefs just because I like Brer Rabbit And Zipadeedoodah. It genuinely feels awful, and I have more than enough to deal with already.
So, keep your love for Brer Rabbit and the music. There's nothing wrong with that. As my partner says, no one can make you feel anything (in an argumentative way, although that's just an easy dismissal during an argument about what we're watching on Netflix...).

_caleb

Doesn't change anything. It still implies that Splash makes people feel "unwelcome". Here's the quote:

We want to make sure that we’re focusing on inclusivity for our guests as well, so we’ve chosen to speed up some of the work that we had been developing to make sure that our parks remain relevant and welcoming to all of our guests.​
Are you all saying that Splash Mountain doesn’t make anyone feel unwelcome, or that it shouldn’t make anyone feel unwelcome?

Disney Analyst

This is a situation where it feels like the internet and the lack of understanding of text vs. in-person communication is strong. Splash Mountain is one of my favorite Disney rides, but my enjoyment of it really has very little to do with the Brer Characters. It's a well realized attraction with a good layout, excellent show scenes, and the opportunity to cool off on a hot Florida day without getting soaked to the bone.

That being said, I have different experiences than other people, and I realize that the source material has undeniably racist undertones that it would be irresponsible to ignore or promote. Additionally, I think Princess and the Frog is one of the best modern Disney films.

If a new version of the attraction has similar excellent show scenes, and there is no change to the layout (which there won't be), the new version of the attraction will also be an instant classic and will be enjoyable for even more generations to come. I welcome this change and I look forward to a more modern version of Disney Parks that reflect a more broad view of the human story.

This is pretty much also how I feel.

I don’t think anyone is racist for loving Splash Mountain. It has always been one of my favourite attractions. But it’s because the music is joyful, the theming fantastic, and the ride incredibly fun. Will the music be missed? Certainly.

But the source material is a problem, a known problem. And if we are realistic we always knew this would one day come.

I think the choice of Princess and the Frog is absolutely correct. The music is great. Characters great. And it should be a gorgeous ride.

I also realize this isn’t easy for many. I am sorry for the profound loss they feel. But I do believe this change is for a greater good, and will be an overall positive and successful addition.

_caleb

I am not saying that. D'Amaro implied it.
D’Amaro said that changes were coming in order to make everyone feel welcome. I’m asking if the anti-changers are saying, “No, nobody feels unwelcome because of Splash Mountain!” or if they’re saying, “No, nobody should feel unwelcome because of Splash Mountain is stup!”
Trying to understand.

Disney Analyst

Jess Harnell, the voice of Br’er Rabbit:

“I’ve had the experience of looking down from above on the Main Street Electrical Parade, watching kids’ faces light up when voices I did come out. And there’s no greater feeling. To know that you gave people that happiness. Now, personally, I don’t believe that Splash Mountain was offensive, and I don’t believe that it alluded to anything offensive, but if it’s going to upset people or make people feel bad about something terrible, then I get it. I’m sorry to see it go, because I loved it. It was an honor to be involved, and I’m happy I had that chance. But I don’t want to be a part of anything that makes anybody hurt.”

https:///2020/11/splash-mountain-ac...cqoWCFWtTjmjLJBmrouM3pFPVUDJ16s7wSnEsCeTU7DQc

Brer Oswald

This is pretty much also how I feel.

I don’t think anyone is racist for loving Splash Mountain. It has always been one of my favourite attractions. But it’s because the music is joyful, the theming fantastic, and the ride incredibly fun. Will the music be missed? Certainly.

But the source material is a problem, a known problem. And if we are realistic we always knew this would one day come.

I think the choice of Princess and the Frog is absolutely correct. The music is great. Characters great. And it should be a gorgeous ride.

I also realize this isn’t easy for many. I am sorry for the profound loss they feel. But I do believe this change is for a greater good, and will be an overall positive and successful addition.
I agree that the source material (the movie, not the stories that predate Disney) pose a very large problem. With the decision to retheme the attraction, they’ve at least acknowledged the problem, but instead of choosing to fix the problem, they’ve cut all ties and abandoned it. “Brer Rabbit? Not our problem!”

Now a great chunk of people look at Brer Rabbit the character and his stories, not just the film nor just the ride, as “racist”. As history that should be forgotten. The 1946 film was protested for tarnishing the Brer Rabbit stories with poor representation and stereotypes. And look where we are now.

This was certainly a choice. A good business choice? Perhaps. A moral choice? If that was the intention, it was sorely misinformed.

Brer Oswald

D’Amaro said that changes were coming in order to make everyone feel welcome. I’m asking if the anti-changers are saying, “No, nobody feels unwelcome because of Splash Mountain!” or if they’re saying, “No, nobody should feel unwelcome because of Splash Mountain is stup!”
Trying to understand.
You’re not making much sense. By saying that they are making the change to make people feel “more welcome”, it’s inversely implying that the current ride isn’t welcoming enough (or unwelcoming).

It’s to further put fuel on the fire of the Pro-Changers to go after and namecall people like me who are attempting to make credible criticisms against the decision.

If this isn’t their intention, then they are doing a really bad job in trying to make their fans feel “more welcome” and “part of the family”.

Animaniac93-98

Are you all saying that Splash Mountain doesn’t make anyone feel unwelcome

Who are these people who felt that way? Were is the proof before 2020?

It's a thrill ride that gets people wet, it is inherently an experience not for everyone, but where is there documentation that people who chose to go on the ride were repulsed because of its subject matter (of the ride, not the movie its based on)?

This is part of the gaslighting. The collective enjoyment of the attraction over the last 30 years by people from all over the world (of different backgrounds, races, religions etc) is dismissed as the ignorant unknowingly supporting racism.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

That's a real twisting of words and intent in order to make a dig a Josh and Disney.

If Josh said "We're adding attractions to make sure our parks remain relevant and enjoyable to all of our guests," would you then assume that he's saying that the parks were never enjoyable previously?

And to others in this thread: Would you then make the leap that Josh is insulting CMs for being complicit in running a parks that isn't enjoyable and they are being shamed for it?

Really, so much nonsense in this thread to justify lashing out indiscriminately in anger.

I don't like a decision Disney made so I'm gonna burn it all to the ground!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom