News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MerlinTheGoat

Splash is extremely broken rn
Did it break down or are we talking animatronic
If it was down for multiple days or a week or longer (outside of a scheduled refurb), then i'd worry. But an all-day downtime isn't that unusual for a ride (particularly a complex one like Splash). Unfortunate, but not uncommon.

While I haven't been to WDW in about a year now and can't speak to the quality of the finer details such as paint, lighting and such, the animatronics all appear to be present and mostly functional. This is a video from early November.

The only actual animatronic that I spotted not working is a small frog in the Laughing Place. The simpler laughing turtles are also missing some movement (a common problem for years now). But as far as I can tell, all of the other figures are present and seem to be working properly. Not that i'm excusing ANY figure being broken, but it's actually a lot better than it has been in the past. Especially considered WDW is in panicked penny pinching mode right now.

The worst condition i've ever seen it in was in 2012. The ride had been gradually deteriorating and falling apart for years, with 2012 being the worst. A large percentage of the animatronics had been removed outright, the remaining ones had little to no movement (there's an infamous video of the Riverboat chickens contorted so badly that they looked headless). Paint was faded and peeling, real vegetation on the exterior was all dead, the roof structure was leaking badly, broken lighting, sound missing or garbled and decorative rockwork was damaged (some even dangerously fell in or around guest areas). I can't stress enough how bad this was. Not to mention the water effects (frequently the big drop had no water). It got a massive refurb in early 2013 and came out looking pretty much brand new. It has had more minor ups and downs in quality since then, but they've at least done a better job maintaining it over the past 7 years. The animatronics in particular haven't been allowed to deteriorate to such a degree anymore.

MickeyLuv'r

I’ve had many a dream where Splash Mountain was just one big water slide through a cartoon wonderland.
Now that would be fun
Oh, I don't know about that. If splash turns into a water ride, then we might have to endure endless threads debating if the ride is too wet. :)

Especially here in 2020. Once upon a time, this was more lighthearted forum.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
They literally could have had the same plot and everything.
RCO015_1470797888.jpg

Its canon that Chip and Dale have delt with Brer Fox and Brer Bear. Replace Brer Rabbit with one of the munks and we're in business

Brer Oswald

View attachment 513153

Its canon that Chip and Dale have delt with Brer Fox and Brer Bear. Replace Brer Rabbit with one of the munks and we're in business
The problem isn’t Brer Rabbit. The problem was never Brer Rabbit. The problem is the movie that it’s attached to, and the inability of the modern Disney audience to separate a movie they don’t know much about (beyond its insane reputation) from the ride.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Did you have a link to that article?
Here's the quote - these comments were made at the virtual IAAPA expo this morning.

“Guest facing changes, like the reimagining of “Splash Mountain,” have been expedited to ensure that all who visit the company’s parks do feel welcome as well.”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom