News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

CJR

Just saying, why oh why did they not do this like ten years ago. That would have been fantastic then. I mean, it still is now, but what a huge missed opportunity during a time where TLM was coming to MK.

kingdead

I really doubt the redo is going to happen--Disney doesn't have the cash on hand to finish rides that are halfway done, so they're not going to redo Splash in a way that (because they'll have to do it on the cheap) might end up being more of a PR problem than just keeping Splash as is. There's nothing particularly offensive in the ride itself, so while it might not be as much of a draw as something with a known IP behind it, keeping it going for a while longer isn't going to raise any kids into the Klan.

If the cash was still coming in, then it'd be a different story, but if it's a choice between finishing Tron and Guardians and keeping Splash open and having all three closed... It's a pretty obvious choice.

_caleb

It's depressing to see that WDW Magic board members make more sense than anyone higher up at Disney.
but if it's a choice between finishing Tron and Guardians and keeping Splash open and having all three closed... It's a pretty obvious choice.
We have no idea what Disney Execs are thinking or whether the decisions they're making "make sense" for what they're trying to do. What seems like an "obvious choice" to any of us may not be so obvious to the people making the actual decisions.

Fans like us here on these boards have limited information and NO responsibility for decisions we think Disney should make. It's super easy for us to say, "just turn the theater into PatF" or "leave Splash as is!" But we have no idea what those wonderful ideas would actually entail/cost or what alternative ideas they're batting around, or who they're actually trying to please (though sometimes it's obvious that they're not trying to please many of us). I can think of a thousand things that could factor into Disney's thinking that would make this change a no brainer. A slam dunk. An urgent priority. But we just don't know everything, and circling round and round with reasons those "idiots" at Disney simply can't get things right may feel good because it affirms our biases and opinions, but I find it exhausting.

Disney announced that Splash Mountain is going to change. The debate about why or whether it's a good idea or not is supposed to happen in any of the other threads about the subject- this one was SUPPOSED to be about the ride itself. Yet you all persist in throwing out alternative ideas, theoretical solutions to problems you cannot fully understand. I don't get it.

MickeyLuv'r

Your points are accurate and it is because it is really about getting an IP investment in to an already successful infastructure ride and if you disagree with it you can immediately be presumed to be racist.
The Ghostbusters remake method. You could not say you did not like the movie, if you did, it had to be because you were against women.

The redo was a pathetic attempt that was pushed ahead before things financially got a lot worse.
Small point, the announcement was made by WDW, not the actual redo.

Announcements are free (in the sense of not costing WDW any $), and well-timed announcements are sometimes more than enough to assuage the Twitter mob until..

🐿️SQUIRREL!

Ooh, did you hear today's outrage?

Worrying about a ride at WDW was like, months ago. People can hardly remember last week's outrage, and tomorrow they'll have a new dumbthing to obsess over. Someone somewhere will post a picture of a dress that might be green or might be blue, but it will be VERY important thing to debate the color of it. Surely, at a bare minimum, someone somewhere is bound to wear something tasteless for Halloween (Likely involving a bare minimum of some kind.) And that will also, of course, be very very important to debate!

MickeyLuv'r

Disney announced that Splash Mountain is going to change. The debate about why or whether it's a good idea or not is supposed to happen in any of the other threads about the subject- this one was SUPPOSED to be about the ride itself. Yet you all persist in throwing out alternative ideas, theoretical solutions to problems you cannot fully understand. I don't get it.
Good point. Disney's only announced something vague.

This thread should go dormant until there's some concrete development on this proposal, like construction walls or more concept art. Something that really hints at where they are going with this.

If Disney really us loves forum members they'll give us something good to debate! Maybe the new Splash will have pods, but no air conditioning, and every pod will have a character overlay...no wait, only some of the pods will have character overlays...

Or maybe Disney will play with the characters and setting of the story, Instead of the Tiana and New Orleans setting we love, the ride will be set in a swamp on another planet and only a few secondary characters from the movie will be in the new setting.... Ooh, maybe we'll get an Odie's Cantina, and a place we can pay $100+ to make our own customer plastic firefly!

Oh wait...

MickeyLuv'r

I would like the refurb cancelled just so those who felt the need to buy up every single splash mountain plush, get stiffed. Karma for the greedy!
I dunno. While I get this irritates people, and I too get irritated when it happens to me (an item is sold out), a small part of me feels they are just like every entrepreneur. They take a risk. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it doesn't. but mostly they are really small potatoes.

Do we get upset with antique dealers, art buyers, real estate speculators? Did folks get mad at Walt for buying up cheap land in FL?

But we have a hard time getting upset with folks who go big. If anything, we tend to admire the successful big business risk takers, i.e. robber barons. I tend to our efforts are a little backwards.

Parker in NYC

I dunno. While I get this irritates people, and I too get irritated when it happens to me (an item is sold out), a small part of me feels they are just like every entrepreneur. They take a risk. Sometimes it pans out, sometimes it doesn't. but mostly they are really small potatoes.

Do we get upset with antique dealers, art buyers, real estate speculators? Did folks get mad at Walt for buying up cheap land in FL?

But we have a hard time getting upset with folks who go big. If anything, we tend to admire the successful big business risk takers, i.e. robber barons. I tend to our efforts are a little backwards.
There is so much to unpack here but I can’t muster the energy. If I told my mother I was marrying an “entrepreneur” whose team buys out gift shops at theme parks she’d say... is that what they call them these days? Thankfully, she missed 2020 and the last four years of insanity.

MickeyLuv'r

There is so much to unpack here but I can’t muster the energy. If I told my mother I was marrying an “entrepreneur” whose team buys out gift shops at theme parks she’d say... is that what they call them these days? Thankfully, she missed 2020 and the last four years of insanity..

In another thread, people posted pictures of all the Disney collectables they own. Many buy with the idea of someday selling them for more than they paid.

Why else would anyone pay $50 for a Funko Pop? It's just a hunk of plastic.

Ever been to an auction? People happily buy and sell just about everything every day.

Folks in the know, know the value of scrap metal, and they actually make a tidy living combing scrapyards, auctions (etc) buying up undervalued lots of metal, sorting them and reselling them.

Do you know the value of an old catalytic converter? They contain 3-7grams of platinum, plus copper, nickel, cerium, manganese. As of today, copper's worth $2/lb. Platinum = $850/troy ounce or $27.54/gram. I've never done it, but internet says it takes 30-45min to (roughly) pull the platinum out of an old cc. (just removing it as scrap, not smelting it.)

Yet many folks happily donate old cars just to get rid of them, or happily pay to have it towed!

Markets are as old as civilization. If someone wants to pay $100 for a Funko Pop or Splash plush, so be it.

GeneralKnowledge

Is it too late to retheme the retheme?

BE8EAF78-6125-4ABE-8F4C-13F0852D276E.jpeg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That "WDW is fighting it" is based on a rumor. The rumor is that people (who?) are bringing up that PatF wouldn't fit thematically in Frontierland. While true, thematic integrity of Frontierland has already suffered in the MK. Also, bringing up this fact to their superiors isn't the same things as "fighting it."

No insider has said there are people actively *fighting* the change in the sense that they're pushing back against their superiors in a continuous argument over it. A lot unhappy with it and grousing to one another? Sure. But standing up to Iger and forcefully going to the mat for it in a constant back and forth with internal petitions and threatening to quit over it?... not likely.

COVID finances is definitely a wild card. But let's not create a fan-based rumor based on wishful thinking and spread it like it was gospel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom