News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

PizzaPlanet

Why couldn't the Princess and the Frog characters sing Zip? It has no plot action, just a happy wonderful day kinda song. No reason they couldn't do that.
And Zip has ALWAYS been associated with Disney and the parks... So leave the river boat, add some more characters...If you listen to the Splash source recording it is heavy with gospel choir sound already...not original to the movie soundtrack... Would be an easy fix there to just add P &TF character vocals over.
Anything related to SotS has to go, that's the whole point of the redo. That would be like keeping Brer Frog as the narrator (not that I would complain...).

Bocabear

The ZIP song doesn't really have anything to do with the plot or storyline of SOTS... and again. Disney has used that song for decades as a standalone song...it was the background track on the WDW resort TV for years...
So they absolutely could use that as a finale song...

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
The ZIP song doesn't really have anything to do with the plot or storyline of SOTS... and again. Disney has used that song for decades as a standalone song...it was the background track on the WDW resort TV for years...
They could, but remember, Zip is from SoTS, and to Disney Song of the South is...
tenor.gif

If this does go ahead, I'm willing to bet there'd be absolutely no trace of the SOTS version left upon reopen

PizzaPlanet

The plot and storyline of the ride aren't the issue so it doesn't matter. I don't want this to become political, but there is a general consensus that that content of the ride itself is harmless and inoffensive. The issue is the property that it's based on. It doesn't matter if it's the characters, story, or songs, it all has to go.

ToTBellHop

You know, for less money than redoing both splash mountains, they could just make a new song of the south, focusing on the singing animals. Like they’re doing for all of the other classics...

“How Do You Do?” isn’t offensive. Remove the offensive garbage. I don’t expect “What Makes the Red Man Red?” in the Peter Pan remake but that song doesn’t make Peter Pan offensive.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

You know, for less money than redoing both splash mountains, they could just make a new song of the south, focusing on the singing animals. Like they’re doing for all of the other classics...

“How Do You Do?” isn’t offensive. Remove the offensive garbage. I don’t expect “What Makes the Red Man Red?” in the Peter Pan remake but that song doesn’t make Peter Pan offensive.

Splash Mountain itself was already a kind of remake of Song of the South removing a number of the problematic aspects, adding and removing characters, etc.

But a remake would still reference the original movie and source material. Remember, the goal is to wipe out anything to do with Song of the South in any context (which is absurd, but that's what King Bob wants).

ToTBellHop

Splash Mountain itself was already a kind of remake of Song of the South removing a number of the problematic aspects, adding and removing characters, etc.

But a remake would still reference the original movie and source material. Remember, the goal is to wipe out anything to do with Song of the South in any context (which is absurd, but that's what King Bob wants).
I understand the goal, but the only reason they are doing that is because they never really included SotS in the Disney canon yet somehow allowed one of their most iconic attractions to be based upon it. I personally feel, rather than sweeping something under the rug, it is a more-powerful statement to admit something is no longer appropriate and fix it. In so many ways and on so many issues, 2020 has taught us that pretending something didn‘t happen or is not happening does not fix a problem.

The $200 million it would take to redo two mountains would be better spent producing an updated SotS with a primarily African American cast and crew. They’d keep the iconic rides (presumably updated with the new actors’ voices), showcase black talent, have a story that actually makes sense with four drops, and make money from the film.

_caleb

Remember, the goal is to wipe out anything to do with Song of the South in any context (which is absurd, but that's what King Bob wants)
I think you've said this a few times here (and others have said it, too). Any links in support of this actually being true, or is this just how it feels to you?

Brer Panther

I really don't understand the motive to erase everything related to SotS. Peter Pan and Dumbo also have very uncomfortable and offensive sequences, yet the company has no issue cherry-picking the non-offensive parts and profiting off of them. The ride should be judged on its own merits.
I think it mainly stems from the fact that Song of the South is an easy target, being the film that's thought to be so racist it needs to be banned. That, or Bob Iger just has some sort of personal vendetta against the film.

UNCgolf

I think you've said this a few times here (and others have said it, too). Any links in support of this actually being true, or is this just how it feels to you?

I don't think anyone at Disney has actually put it in those terms.

I think it's pretty obvious in context, though. They already didn't allow any release of the movie and did not put it on Disney+, even with a disclaimer like other films. It's not something they advertise or really use in any other place outside of Splash Mountain itself, so by eliminating Splash Mountain, you've basically eliminated any trace of Song of the South.

celluloid

I really don't understand the motive to erase everything related to SotS. Peter Pan and Dumbo also have very uncomfortable and offensive sequences, yet the company has no issue cherry-picking the non-offensive parts and profiting off of them. The ride should be judged on its own merits.
Your points are accurate and it is because it is really about getting an IP investment in to an already successful infastructure ride and if you disagree with it you can immediately be presumed to be racist.
The Ghostbusters remake method. You could not say you did not like the movie, if you did, it had to be because you were against women.

The redo was a pathetic attempt that was pushed ahead before things financially got a lot worse.

doctornick

I understand the goal, but the only reason they are doing that is because they never really included SotS in the Disney canon yet somehow allowed one of their most iconic attractions to be based upon it. I personally feel, rather than sweeping something under the rug, it is a more-powerful statement to admit something is no longer appropriate and fix it. In so many ways and on so many issues, 2020 has taught us that pretending something didn‘t happen or is not happening does not fix a problem.

The $200 million it would take to redo two mountains would be better spent producing an updated SotS with a primarily African American cast and crew. They’d keep the iconic rides (presumably updated with the new actors’ voices), showcase black talent, have a story that actually makes sense with four drops, and make money from the film.

This makes entirely too much sense. So of course it would never happen.

Addressing this issue in this manner would also provide an avenue for the company to promote the point that the Br'er Rabbit stories have their root in African and African American folklore. Which is a great way to promote diversity by broadening the scope of fairy tales that the company has to beyond almost exclusively European ones (plus Aladdin and Mulan).

Do what you suggest and actually build a proper PatF attraction and you actually have some plans befitting of the "Inclusion" that the company is championing.

ToTBellHop

This makes entirely too much sense. So of course it would never happen.

Addressing this issue in this manner would also provide an avenue for the company to promote the point that the Br'er Rabbit stories have their root in African and African American folklore. Which is a great way to promote diversity by broadening the scope of fairy tales that the company has to beyond almost exclusively European ones (plus Aladdin and Mulan).

Do what you suggest and actually build a proper PatF attraction and you actually have some plans befitting of the "Inclusion" that the company is championing.
Yes! Build a PatF water ride in DHS where it belongs and which could use a water ride. Does reskinning an old ride really show your support of black people? “Here! We put together this sloppy story on an old ride! You’ll notice we went from 100 Audio-Animatronics figures to 5 designed by our predominantly white Imagineers! Enjoy how woke we are!”

Oh, well. Back to reality.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Yes! Build a PatF water ride in DHS where it belongs and which could use a water ride. Does reskinning an old ride really show your support of black people? “Here! We put together this sloppy story on an old ride! You’ll notice we went from 100 Audio-Animatronics figures to 5 designed by our predominantly white Imagineers! Enjoy how woke we are!”

Oh, well. Back to reality.
Reskin Mermaid's theater to a swampy bayou, switch puppets and new songs and viola! PaTF show!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom