News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Surferboy567

Florida’s and Tokyo’s Mountains were developed at the same time. They opened one day after the other. Their layouts are mirrored. Their flume is the same. Their scenes are in different orders, but a lot of the set pieces and animatronics are shared between the two.

The Disneyland ride is very different than the Florida ride. This is particularly an issue with the pacing of the flume. So they cannot clone it (which probably was one of the enticing elements of this project for Disney).

Several insiders have commented that TDO was counting on OLC for this. I believe them because of the reasons I stated. Without OLC’s contributions, they essentially have to develop two separate Princess and the Frog flume rides, and they already have a ton on their plate. This is why I kept saying the decision to announce it this way was a really poor and miscalculated one. They’ve backed themselves in a corner that they will have to pay quite a bit to get out of.

So what will they do? A few guesses:

1) Disneyland’s goes down in the next 2 years. Florida’s remains as is until Epcot is done and they have the funds to develop a second PatF flume, towards the latter half of the decade. Meanwhile, Splash stays as is at Tokyo.

2) Disneyland’s changes as planned. TDO And OLC agree on a non PatF refurb, and they make it a reality a bit sooner than option 1.

3) Disney fast tracks the project on both coasts. Every project in Florida after Tron and Guardians are put to the wayside to pay for this. Opening between 2024 and 2025.
I can honestly see any of these options occuring. With one change I don’t think that all projects would be put to the wayside...they are way too close to completion and are essential draws. It appears we may not be getting new attractions for a while, so it’s crucial they open. I can see splash being fast tracked just not taking over other projects.
No idea for California. I’d expect for Florida, it’s coming out of Epcot’s budget?
Not sure who, but I think an insider on here said this when it was announced.

Brer Oswald

I can honestly see any of these options occuring. With one change I don’t think that all projects would be put to the wayside...they are way too close to completion and are essential draws. It appears we may not be getting new attractions for a while, so it’s crucial they open. I can see splash being fast tracked just not taking over other projects.

Not sure who, but I think an insider on here said this when it was announced.
I meant the Epcot projects that haven’t begun significant construction. The spine, which is already supposed to be taking a huge hit, is one.

Fox&Hound

Louis looking for his lost trumpet? I can't....I just can't.

Disney does not have the money (or apparently the creativity) to do this justice. I pray it gets pushed back until it never happens at all (like the MK town square theatre). They got their PR moment, they got to be a part of the current political climate and show how they support recent movements, and hopefully, in another few years we will be looking back on a lot if this unrest and Disney can quietly put this to bed.

Tiana does deserve a ride, but not shoehorned like this. Give her something proper and fitting to celebrate her.

BubbaisSleep

Tiana does deserve a ride, but not shoehorned like this. Give her something proper and fitting to celebrate her.
Now that you're mentioning it, I wonder where would they place the ride if it were to be an original attraction. Magic Kingdom obviously would be Fantasyland, but I feel like it would need to be in NOS at Disneyland. But there's no room in NOS that I know of, unless they rework Pooh or TSI. They could place it inside Disneyland's Fantasyland but with NOS there it wouldn't feel as right.

The topic of removing/overlaying an attraction shouldn't even be happening at any WDW park. They have much room and they don't even use it. NFL really needed a huge e-ticket after its set of meh rides. I have no idea why it needs to replace MK's Splash.

Brer Panther

The topic of removing/overlaying an attraction shouldn't even be happening at any WDW park. They have much room and they don't even use it. NFL really needed a huge e-ticket after its set of meh rides.
I think they believe it's cheaper to retheme/replace an existing attraction than it is to build one from scratch.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Now that you're mentioning it, I wonder where would they place the ride if it were to be an original attraction. Magic Kingdom obviously would be Fantasyland...
I'd think Adventureland would be the better choice. Think of it as a transitional area.
firefly.png

Still think there's likely a better IP for the Splash overlay. Or you know, leave it be!!!

Last edited:

erasure fan1

I dunno, I still have my doubts that this retheme is really gonna be that less expensive than building a Princess and the Frog ride from scratch. Splash Mountain is a very big, highly-themed ride. Retheming it ain't gonna be easy.
The funny part is, even if it's a basic re-theme, and that is where my expectation level is. The budget will be through the roof. Disney is the master at way overspending on attractions. I fully expect to say, " they spent that much, for that?"

lazyboy97o

I dunno, I still have my doubts that this retheme is really gonna be that less expensive than building a Princess and the Frog ride from scratch. Splash Mountain is a very big, highly-themed ride. Retheming it ain't gonna be easy.
Intricate sets will typically be cheaper than intricate sets plus a new facility. Given its age and ride system I think committing to reusing Splash Mountain before a proper assessment was made is a risk, but that sort of assessment would not have resulted in the desired outcome. If reusing Splash Mountain was deemed cost prohibitive it would have resulted in Splash Mountain being razed, not saved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom