News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Stupido

Sooooooooooo, what happened to all that stuff about Iger and Chapek feuding over whether or not to retheme Splash Mountain, and Chapek winning? Was that all a hoax?

I mean, Disney is the top entertainment company in the world, they know how to handle press. They wouldn’t fully announce this retheme publicly, in this political climate, and then backtrack on it. Racism is one of America’s hottest topics today, and everyday more and more organizations are speaking out on it. It’s become too big of a movement, if Disney were to back out now the backlash would be insane. Anyone who really believed they were thinking about scrapping it in Orlando were in denial.

Disneyson

As they continue to rip out Zip-a-dee-doo-dah in Anaheim, it just occurred to me that it is a major part of the fab five’s PTN float music. If they are going to keep using that parade that means they either need to re-record it or send it to a park still allowed to use that music...

It’s also a large part of FoF’s finale, and it’s sampled in Magic Happens. I can’t think of any appropriately comparable upbeat, iconic, no theme specific Disney songs immediately that can replace it. The issue isn’t the song itself. “Plenty of sunshine headin’ my way” is innocuous today, but a former slave singing about his past being “satisfactual” is where the problem with the song lies. It really is too bad, the song is wonderful but extremely problematic in context.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This has been the year from hell and we've still got 4 more months left.

1598719742942.png

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It’s also a large part of FoF’s finale, and it’s sampled in Magic Happens. I can’t think of any appropriately comparable upbeat, iconic, no theme specific Disney songs immediately that can replace it.

Well, there's...
  • Hakuna Matata
  • Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo
  • The Bare Necessities
  • Suprecalifragilisticexpialidocious
  • Trip a Little Light Fantastic
  • Can You Imagine That
  • Dig a Little Deeper
  • Un Poco Loco
  • Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride
  • I Just Can’t Wait to Be King
  • I’ve Got a Dream
  • Try Everything

Touchdown

Well, there's...
  • Hakuna Matata
  • Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo
  • The Bare Necessities
  • Can You Imagine That
  • Dig a Little Deeper
  • Un Poco Loco
  • I’ve Got a Dream
  • Try Everything

you have to admit, none of these songs have served as the Company’s Anthem, there are only three songs that have historically been used by the company:

When You Wish Upon A Star-This would likely be the official one, but it’s too somber for some situations when they needed an upbeat tune, with one of two alternates below

Mickey Mouse Club March-Particularly used if Mickey is being emphasized.

Zip a Dee Doo Dah-Has really become a park anthem. What song plays officially after Disneyland opens every morning? It’s also promently played at the Magic Kingdom opening as well. It has come to symbolize the beginning of fun, as the song has always been about simple joy. Of your list Pinguin, the only song that comes close is Suprecalifragilisticexpialidocious.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
you have to admit, none of these songs have served as the Company’s Anthem, there are only three songs that have historically been used by the company:

When You Wish Upon A Star-This would likely be the official one, but it’s too somber for some situations when they needed an upbeat tune, with one of two alternates below

Mickey Mouse Club March-Particularly used if Mickey is being emphasized.

Zip a Dee Doo Dah-Has really become a park anthem. What song plays officially after Disneyland opens every morning? It’s also promently played at the Magic Kingdom opening as well. It has come to symbolize the beginning of fun, as the song has always been about simple joy. Of your list Pinguin, the only song that comes close is Suprecalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Well, then, by sheer use, a replacement will become the new anthem.

But if you're just looking for upbeat music for just one float... there are plenty that will do.

Touchdown

Well, then, by sheer use, a replacement will become the new anthem.

But if you're just looking for upbeat music for just one float... there are plenty that will do.

It can’t just be any song, it has to be one where the chorus is non specific enough to apply to the guest. I just can’t wait to be king, nope I’m not royalty; dig a little deeper sounds like a call to get to work, it can’t just be any upbeat song. Other then a Poppins song, the only one I can think of is Be Our Guest.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Well, there's...
  • Hakuna Matata
  • Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo
  • The Bare Necessities
  • Can You Imagine That
  • Dig a Little Deeper
  • Un Poco Loco
  • I’ve Got a Dream
  • Try Everything
None of those are even close.
It’s been:
  • When You Wish Upon a Star
  • Zipadeedoodah
  • Mickey Mouse Club March
  • A Whole New World
  • Be Our Guest
  • Under the Sea
  • Let it Go
  • It’s a Small World
  • Heigh Ho
The list will just shift up. Maybe you’ll see a Cinderella Song, or a Mary Poppins Song more often.

UNCgolf

It can’t just be any song, it has to be one where the chorus is non specific enough to apply to the guest. I just can’t wait to be king, nope I’m not royalty; dig a little deeper sounds like a call to get to work, it can’t just be any upbeat song. Other then a Poppins song, the only one I can think of is Be Our Guest.

Be Our Guest was my immediate thought. The actual lyrics are a terrible fit since they're very specifically about what's happening in the movie, but the music itself is happy and upbeat and the title/chorus are perfect for welcoming someone to a theme park. An instrumental version would be fine.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
None of those are even close.
It’s been:
  • When You Wish Upon a Star
  • Zipadeedoodah
  • Mickey Mouse Club March
  • A Whole New World
  • Be Our Guest
  • Under the Sea
  • Let it Go
  • It’s a Small World
  • Heigh Ho
The list will just shift up. Maybe you’ll see a Cinderella Song, or a Mary Poppins Song more often.

Those are certainly popular and iconic. I thought that the other poster was looking for an upbeat walking-on-sunshine replacement for "have a magical day" vibe.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
There's a different element to "Zipadeedoodah" that is tough to replace with the songs that are being suggested:

Zipadeedoodah has been mostly seperated from its source material in people's minds and has become a "generically Disney" kind of song.

If Be Our Guest of Dig a Little Deeper plays, guests will expect to see Belle or Tiana with it. Hearing Zipadeedoodah or When You Wish Upon a Star doesn't make people expect to see Brer Rabbit of Pinocchio.

It will be tough to find another song to be so upbeat and fun, but also not tied too closely in people's minds with any specific popular character.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo might be an option. If people can stop associating it so closely with Jafar from the House of Mouse of course.

Brer Oswald

There's a different element to "Zipadeedoodah" that is tough to replace with the songs that are being suggested:

Zipadeedoodah has been mostly seperated from its source material in people's minds and has become a "generically Disney" kind of song.

If Be Our Guest of Dig a Little Deeper plays, guests will expect to see Belle or Tiana with it. Hearing Zipadeedoodah or When You Wish Upon a Star doesn't make people expect to see Brer Rabbit of Pinocchio.

It will be tough to find another song to be so upbeat and fun, but also not tied too closely in people's minds with any specific popular character.

Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo might be an option. If people can stop associating it so closely with Jafar from the House of Mouse of course.

Zipadeedoodah transends it’s IP. It was the first Disney song I heard, and I didn’t know where it came from till I was 12.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Zipadeedoodah transends it’s IP. It was the first Disney song I heard, and I didn’t know where it came from till I was 12.
Exactly! Not many songs transcend their IP. A song being just as good (or even better) than Zipadeedoodah doesn't mean it can transcend where it came from.

Part of that might just be time though. If Be Our Guest or Bear Necessities is used as the generic Disney song long enough it might be able to. Even if it doesn't right off the bat.

Brer Panther

Well, there's...
  • Hakuna Matata
  • Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo
  • The Bare Necessities
  • Can You Imagine That
  • Dig a Little Deeper
  • Un Poco Loco
  • I’ve Got a Dream
  • Try Everything
Most of those songs, regardless as to how good they are, don't really have the same "works fine out of context from the film" thing as "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" does, though.

Also, "Try Everything" is not even in the same boat as "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah".

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Most of those songs, regardless as to how good they are, don't really have the same "works fine out of context from the film" thing as "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" does, though.

Also, "Try Everything" is not even in the same boat as "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah".
What's Try Everything from?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom