News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MickeyMouse10

I have to say, and I prob gonna get some hate for it, but there don't have to be many "animatronics" for me. Just look at the PatF window on Disneyland Mainstreet. Static or little moving mannequins could make for quite a special ride imo. Just like the old Fantasyland Darkrides. Not everything has to be a state of the art, new and groundbreaking AA for me. Rides like Peter Pan, Alice and Snow-white don't have amazing AA's and they're lovely.

You can't go from Filet Mignon to Dollar Tree Salisbury Steak.

Everyone would want Bob Chapek brought before the firing squad if that happened. If they have to replace a popular E ticket (like Splash) it can't be with something you can get at a local amusement park.

I like the Elfis (a take on Elvis) animatronic at "Santa's Village", even though it's cheaply made. But that doesn't mean it should be at a Disney Park.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Josh D'Amaro talks about Splash Mountain retheme and opening the parks during a global pandemic
Josh also briefly commented on Splash Mountain's retheme to Princess and the Frog, "We actually have been working on it for well over a year. In fact, I was a part of those conversations over a year ago. Listen, our stories evolve all the time. I mean, back from when Walt started Disneyland back in 1955, he stated that if we would continue to evolve our stories, that they're never ending, that they'll always be contemporary. And I think that that's what you're seeing with Splash Mountain. I keep using the same word, but I'm really proud of this team and what we're doing on this front. I think Splash Mountain, no doubt, is a sacred attraction to many of our guests. And I think you're going to love what we're doing in making the attraction even more contemporary."

IMDREW

You’re comparing C-Ticket scale to E-Ticket scale. It’s ridiculous to defend something with E-Ticket size, scale and cost by comparing it to C-Tickets.
Yeah youre right. Really was not defending it though. Just looking for a silver lining thats all

Haymarket2008

I respect the man’s outlook and presence in the parks, but I don’t understand why they are perpetuating the idea that Splash Mountain will “live on”. Unfortunately, it isn’t going to. The full experience of Splash Mountain is not just the ride system. Making it contemporary isn’t what is happening. They are putting a contemporary story ON to a ride system, not updating the Song of the South elements.

celluloid

How is a decade old IP considered "contemporary"?

Great point. And I know his job is to defend, but the fact that the news is bringing it up and questioning it knows. Anytime someone says "listen," at the start of their point, it is not a very strong point on its own. They quote Walt's intentions when in many cases it is exactly the opposite.

The "Listen," and "actually, we were working on this over a year ago" talk mainstream news channel s on how much backlash they have gotten for it when it is worth bringing up when the reopening is talked about.

Last edited:

Gaston's gal

Does anyone think they will keep the name "Splash Mountain"? I think you can re-theme it, but still keep the name the same.
#pleasekeepthename

LittleBuford

It’s also set in 1920s New Orleans, which is not contemporary. And, it is to be placed in Frontierland, which again, is not contemporary. If they really want something more contemporary, maybe they should focus on what they can do with Tomorrowland.

I think it’s fair to say that a ten-year-old child is far likelier to be familiar with The Princess and the Frog than with Song of the South. Whatever objections one may have to the retheme, there is no denying that the PatF IP is a more contemporary than the one it’s replacing.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

It’s also set in 1920s New Orleans, which is not contemporary. And, it is to be placed in Frontierland, which again, is not contemporary. If they really want something more contemporary, maybe they should focus on what they can do with Tomorrowland.

I agree, the setting for PatF (a city in the 20's and a swamp) doesn't matchup with Frontierland at all. I'd much rather see it in it's own section at Magic or a new 5th gate (with an "American" theme).

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Josh also briefly commented on Splash Mountain's retheme to Princess and the Frog, "We actually have been working on it for well over a year. In fact, I was a part of those conversations over a year ago. Listen, our stories evolve all the time. I mean, back from when Walt started Disneyland back in 1955, he stated that if we would continue to evolve our stories, that they're never ending, that they'll always be contemporary. And I think that that's what you're seeing with Splash Mountain. I keep using the same word, but I'm really proud of this team and what we're doing on this front. I think Splash Mountain, no doubt, is a sacred attraction to many of our guests. And I think you're going to love what we're doing in making the attraction even more contemporary."

Great, Josh is continuing $hapek's legacy. Just when I thought someone high up would have some backbone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom