News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

jt04

The biggest mistake Disney ever made was not releasing the film in the Walt Disney Treasures lineup with an opening disclaimer. It’s allowed the public opinion to fester without viewing it, and the film is demonized to a level that it just isn’t anywhere close to being.

Not really a topic here to discuss though. I’d welcome anyone to discuss it on the politics side of the board if you’re interested, and open minded 🙂

I agree. And Whoopi volunteered. Censorship solves nothing except in extreme cases. But that doesn't change the need to make the attraction relevant to today. This is everything Walt envisioned.

Later.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I've always been very impressed with the ride system. Probably nothing better.

But the place setting , story, and theming always seemed off to me. It just doesn't mesh and so I am an advocate for an update just on those points.

But, more importantly Disney needs to work on being more relatable for everyone. The current attraction fails that. IMO.
The relatable pitch is not really relevant when talking about a park full of fictional characters that consist of ghosts, bears, mermaids, etc. Splash is continually one of the most popular rides at WDW/Disneyland and yet I bet most don't even consider whether it was relatable or not when they get off. Its a slippery slope when trying to be "relatable" to everyone. Race is merely one aspect of being truly relatable. How about folks with disabilities, people's religious beliefs, political beliefs, etc. They aren't represented in the park either.

Surferboy567

The relatable pitch is not really relevant when talking about a park full of fictional characters that consist of ghosts, bears, mermaids, etc. Splash is continually one of the most popular rides at WDW/Disneyland and yet I bet most don't even consider whether it was relatable or not when they get off. Its a slippery slope when trying to be "relatable" to everyone. Race is merely one aspect of being truly relatable. How about folks with disabilities, people's religious beliefs, political beliefs, etc. They aren't represented in the park either.

Relatable?
I'm not dead (yet) so I can't relate to HM, but I still love it

I don’t think “relatable” is a good word. How about “potentially offensive”. Again, I do not find this attraction racist, but their is clearly something that is bothering people.

The only thing that maybe I can see is the way they speak? But that isn’t racist they are cartoons.

EDIT: Also if they dare to touch HM they would have a lot of problems on their hands.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I don’t think “relatable” is a good word. How about “potentially offensive”. Again, I do not find this attraction racist, but their is clearly something that is bothering people.

The only thing that maybe I can see is the way they speak? But that isn’t racist they are cartoons.

EDIT: Also if they dare to touch HM they would have a lot of problems on their hands.
That's just it for me. If you are going to assume people are offended by Splash in large numbers, then yes you can literally look at every attraction as having something "offensive" about it. How dare Disney use a Jamaican accent with a crab, HM is about dead people (too scary for kids of course ;) ), Hall of President's is divisive, Pirates are pillagers and rapists blah blah blah.

Surferboy567

That's just it for me. If you are going to assume people are offended by Splash in large numbers, then yes you can literally look at every attraction as having something "offensive" about it. How dare Disney use a Jamaican accent with a crab, HM is about dead people (too scary for kids of course ;) ), Hall of President's is divisive, Pirates are pillagers and rapists blah blah blah.

Again, I don’t agree with any of these examples of changing basically history. Disney however, cares far too much about their own image to not appease. They did it with Pirates as you have said which I was against and continue to be. That however, is nothing compared to ripping out Splash.

And yes, you could argue anything has offensive elements.

EDIT: Also, who knows PATF could be great and I have confidence but if we are talking about what needs the funds Splash is not among the top projects.

Surferboy567

True, but that doesn't mean that IP "has" to overlay Splash. PatF could go elsewhere in the MK. I'd much rather it take the place of lower tier attractions (using the IP to boost guest satisfaction or attendance) or better yet create a new PatF attraction, a net gain to the park.

The thing is, it isn’t about adding PATF. It’s about getting rid of song of the south they want to distance themselves from something they view as problematic. The best way to get rid of SOTS is to reskin it with a new IP so anything that people may view as “offensive” goes away so to say.

Not saying I agree, that is how I think they are thinking however.

gmajew

Premium Member
I will keep saying this.... Malestrom I got as it was just ok.... @marni1971 will disagree with me. Was frozen the right thing maybe not but the ride needed to go.... No but you replaced an ok ride and made it a good ride and for some a awesome ride.

This though is 110% wrong as it is replacing a crown jewel attraction. Princess and the Frog sure build a new ride but this location and this spot is just lazy and caving to the cancel culture of todays world... I wont change my opinion on this.

Will this ride be awesome more then likely but you are replacing an awesome ride with another awesome ride? Just stupid when the park needs more awesome rides.

heapster411

I am beginning to think with the way things are turning, all we will have left is a generic ride. People getting offended over how they view things, will take away story telling and theming. As we all know Walt was a great story teller, and without a back story there is NO theming. If you take away the theming, what do you have?

MickeyMouse10

Will this ride be awesome more then likely but you are replacing an awesome ride with another awesome ride? Just stupid when the park needs more awesome rides.

Yep, they should be trying to replace Stitch, Swiss Family Robinson's Tree House and many others loser attractions before this one. Disney is just trying to look like Mother Theresa meets Jesus.

Brer Oswald

You can find offense in everything. I find offence in the hanging scene from the Haunted Mansion. But I just ignore it.

The truth is, the attraction didn't really bother people, as evidence by the constant joy it brought for so many guests. At most, it seemed a little odd to base a ride on a film Disney didn't release publicly.

The push to retheme it has everything to do with PatF. The "outrage" is nothing more than leverege to get Disney to make a ride that, funny enough, they were planning to anyways. How do I know? The same people that deem the ride "racist" loved the ride 2 months ago, and were against replacing it. But, out of respect, I'm not going to post those tweets.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I will keep saying this.... Malestrom I got as it was just ok.... @marni1971 will disagree with me. Was frozen the right thing maybe not but the ride needed to go.... No but you replaced an ok ride and made it a good ride and for some a awesome ride.

This though is 110% wrong as it is replacing a crown jewel attraction. Princess and the Frog sure build a new ride but this location and this spot is just lazy and caving to the cancel culture of todays world... I wont change my opinion on this.

EXACTLY! In MK's case (because we need to denote the social/political/financial differences between the DL and WDW parks) Replacing Splash would be foolish for WDW when selective, smallish tweaks make more sense. (But that's just my opinion) Then just plop Princess and the Frog elsewhere. ALL parties are satisfied - New PatF offerings with Splash's issues being address without a downgraded IP takeover.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

Yeah, every single attraction in Disney World someone can find offensive. There's over 7 billion people in the world, so not everyone is going to be on the same page. There's people that don't like numbers or clowns, but we aren't going to ban those.

I for instance don't like how old men walk around my gym's locker room in the nude. But no one says anything... and they are unabashed with their leg up on a bench. I just avoid eye contact with them and their parts and go about my day.

Jones14

Yeah, every single attraction in Disney World someone can find offensive. There's over 7 billion people in the world, so not everyone is going to be on the same page. There's people that don't like numbers or clowns, but we aren't going to ban those.
This is a false equivalence; not liking things such as clowns is not the same as pointing out offensive imagery or content, and taking steps to modify or remove them.

I don’t like the Little Mermaid ride, but that has no bearing on whether or not it’s offensive (generally agreed upon that it’s not). On the other hand, I like Splash Mountain a lot, and yet that also has no bearing on whether it’s based on offensive or outdated source material (agreed on by the company that it is, thus the permanent locking away of the movie and the change to PatF).

MickeyMouse10

This is a false equivalence; not liking things such as clowns is not the same as pointing out offensive imagery or content, and taking steps to modify or remove them.

I don’t like the Little Mermaid ride, but that has no bearing on whether or not it’s offensive (generally agreed upon that it’s not). On the other hand, I like Splash Mountain a lot, and yet that also has no bearing on whether it’s based on offensive or outdated source material (agreed on by the company that it is, thus the permanent locking away of the movie and the change to PatF).

How is Splash Mountain offensive? It's the story of a group of animals, totally unrelated to slavery or racism. Unless of course you hate animals??? Is that it?

Song of the South is no more offensive than Peter Pan and Dumbo. Or else they never would have made the ride in the first place.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

Who is to say its not offensive to some that a crab is represented as Jamaican even though the singer is American? Or that Ariel only has shells to cover her upper half, etc. You can see how this can get out of control no?

Brer Oswald

How is Splash Mountain offensive? It's the story of a group of animals, totally unrelated to slavery or racism. Unless of course you hate animals??? Is that it?

Song of the South is no more offensive than Peter Pan and Dumbo. Or else they never would have made the ride in the first place.
It’s “offensive” because the story came from a time of slavery.

The Brer Rabbit stories are African American Folklore Tales passed down by slaves. Brer Rabbit was evocative of the captured slaves while villains Brer Fox were representative of the slave owners. Notice how I said “villains”.

Brer Rabbit would typically use his wit to get out of sticky situations as oppose to using brute force. The moral of the story is practically “brain over brawn”, a message just as relevant to everyone today as it was to the African Americans in the 1800s.

I guess it’s “racist” because it reminds people of a time that makes people uncomfortable? But it’s a time period that happened. The stories are important. They deserve a good Disney adaptation just as much as any European fairytale. “SotS didn’t do them justice”? Well, push for Disney to make something that does. I feel Splash did. But that’s just me.

The people blindly calling the ride “racist” and offensive think they’re as clever as Brer Fox did when he threw Brer Rabbit down the Briar Patch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom