News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MickeyMouse10

I always thought that if Princess and the Frog got its own attraction/area it would have been a re theme of Tom Sawyer Island. Complete with a riverboat.

That's what everyone, but Disney wants.

But they are doing the retheme because 1.) They want to look like they are standing by BLM and 2.) It will save them a lot of money to just do a retheme.

WDW Pro

Just a heads up - there's now an actual push at high levels to pause changing Splash in Florida indefinitely (without officially canceling). Part of this is internal polls they've seen after the announcement, but a larger part is they're increasingly strapped for cash. I'll be able to hopefully discuss why they're more financially harmed right now than a week ago, but that will be its own thread later this week (if I can).

The DL version will absolutely be changing though. Japan will not change as their political and cultural atmosphere is decidedly different than California in the present.

The Grand Inquisitor

Just a heads up - there's now an actual push at high levels to pause changing Splash in Florida indefinitely (without officially canceling). Part of this is internal polls they've seen after the announcement, but a larger part is they're increasingly strapped for cash. I'll be able to hopefully discuss why they're more financially harmed right now than a week ago, but that will be its own thread later this week (if I can).

The DL version will absolutely be changing though. Japan will not change as their political and cultural atmosphere is decidedly different than California in the present.
That is nuts! I personally was looking forward to the ride. If Disney doesn't move forward the backlash will be pretty big from BLM and the media.

mickEblu

Dammit! DLR just keeps getting the short end of the stick the last few years

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No

That would be incredible, it just seemed like they didn't really take a deep breath and fully understand what they were doing. Very knee jerk.

Surferboy567

That doesn’t make any sense afte Disney stirred everyone up please elaborate.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I remember watching it as a kid. Still somewhere on my Disney VHS shelf...

I’m a hardcore Disney fan, so I saw it (as an adult!) at the cinema when it first came out, have it on Blu-ray as part of the Disney Classics Complete Collection, and rewatched it recently on Disney+. Despite some charming moments, it just doesn’t cohere very well.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

They should've put in some more thought before greenlighting such a change. Why would they poll after the ordeal and not before?

I guess I did say that if one version remains, I'd consider it a win.. even if it's just for the immediate future.

M:SpilotISTC12

This is something that makes sense if times were normal but they aren't. Cash is a little tight at the moment. In the short term its non-essential.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
So does anyone have a full description of what Jim said the ride is going to be like?

download.jpeg

Surferboy567

So does anyone have a full description of what Jim said the ride is going to be like?

So good ol Jim Hill speaks about the Splash Mountain re theme on his podcast today.

Here are some of the highlights...

- Princess Tiana and Naveen will not be frogs and only be seen at the beginning (How do you do) and end (Zip-a-dee-doo-day scenes)

- Louis is driving the story. The majority of the ride from How Do you do through Laughing Place will be Louis chasing his trumpet that he drops in the flume / water.

- They will honor some of Splash Mountain vignettes like Brer Bear stuck in the honey for example with Louis stuck in prickles (?)

-Blacklit scenes during Laughing Place will now be Ray and the other fireflies.

-Burrows Lament through first lift hill will be “friends on the other side” with projections on the tunnel and Dr Facilers shadow where Brer Fox’s shadow is now

-Mama Odie will be at top of lift hill and waves her magic wand to stop Dr. Facilier. The Blast of magic is what sends riders down the hill

-You will be surrounded by cranes who sing “Dig a little Deeper” in the drop tunnel.

-Zip a dee dopo dah finale takes place on the New Orleans waterfront with fireworks going off and Louis reunited with his trumpet.

-One last gag where Brer Fox and Brer Bear are being bit by the gator in Splash... Louis loses his trumpet again (4 feet later) and is frantically looking for it but unbeknownst to him it’s on his head.

- flume layout stays the same

- PatF wouldn’t open until 2024/2025

- Disney would like to do some Splash is going away fan events and sell limited edition merch.

- Splash might close in 2022 after WDW 50th anniversary. (Not sure if this applies to DL as well)

-Disneylands version will at least lose 40 of the animatronics or more.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No

Well honestly this post MADE my entire week.....just what I had been hoping for and wings crossed that it comes to fulfillment or should I say it doesn't get done at WDW at all.....sure would not mind some special Splash Mountain gear in the meantime.....WOOHOO! That and I had planned my first trip to DLR this September which is on indefinite hold, but gives me another reason to visit it in the future to see the NEW ride! :D (and get another t shirt....)

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member

Untitled.png

tl77

This is all driven by:
  • Song of the South association must go. No saving it.
  • Replacement must be "more Disney", and by "more Disney" they're talking about a popular IP that they want to promote. The American folktales had their day and their popularity is gone.
  • Make it work first and foremost in Disneyland. Putting a New Orleans based IP next to a New Orleans mini-land is a no-brainer.
  • Cloning it to MK is to save money on re-imagineering some other re-theme (which is costly). Any detriment to overall theme of the land is WDW's problem, and generally, WDW doesn't mind such inconsistencies. I could tick of a dozen such things in MK. Hopefully, one day, WDW will care and fix some of them.
Yeah I know what it's "driven by", but people like yourself simply accepting that... is the real problem

I think they could use this as an oppertiuty to

1 Celebrate the history of the Walt Disney Company and Walt Disney Animation, and at the the same time introducing the public the actual American History

2 Make the Park more diverse at the same time, buy filling in an area of Magic Kingdom that sat empty for 50 years, with these new Animated Characters
new cast of folk heros.jpg

Last edited:

WDW Pro

That doesn’t make any sense afte Disney stirred everyone up please elaborate.

I'll try to later this week with permission from a source.

Note the difference in when I say something is going to happen (like when I announced the Mary Poppins attraction and midday discounted tickets) and when I announce talks occurring behind the scenes. One features a decision having absolutely been made, the other is given in order to let people see into the decision making process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom