News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MickeyMouse10

I don't think it being offensive in some way is nearly the biggest issue. The theme is ubiquitous both as a theme park motif but also there are museums, ghost towns and still existing towns that have not changed much. It really is anachronistic within the MK. And it impedes growth in the park.

Disneyland is different because it was built at the height of western tv and movies. But most importantly, was something Walt Disney cared about and directed the design. So it is iconic there. At the MK, it is just a poor recreation. IMO.

Hold on, I got to get my Scrabble dictionary. :D

I disagree that Frontierland should be replaced. It's one of my favorite lands in all of Disney World. I usually go left whenever I enter Magic Kingdom. If anything they should just add to it (Western River), not take away.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
By "Big Thunder," do you mean "Woody's Runaway Mine Train"?
Allow me to sum up my feeling towards changing Big Thunder:
100273.png

RSoxNo1

Attempts to make G-Rated frontier movies popular fizzle (Disney's Lone Ranger and Call of the Wild). How many avid Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett fans are left? There are no Disney IPs based in 'the frontier' that are both popular and family-friendly (and avoid problematic stereotypes). And if they create their own brand new story and leave out the warts of history... Disney will be pilloried.
Lone Ranger had way too big of a budget, but having said that, the beginning and end were great. It was also PG-13 and people went in expecting Pirates and didn't get it. The other problem it had was the demographic that remembers The Lone Ranger don't go to movies. All in, it was probably a bad idea with so-so execution.

I haven't seen Call of the Wild, but the preview played in front of at least 500 movies I've seen. The CGI for the dog looked downright awful.

MickeyMouse10

Yep, you know Big Thunder is on the list. They would have probably done a retheme years ago if Lone Ranger didn't suck so much. They just have to find a spot for their end of the ride gift shop.

Looking at the brightside for some of you guys, perhaps we'd finally get the Big Al's Toy Barn we wanted for TSL.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

Maybe the Western town and Big Al's Toy Barn were taken out of the final version of TSL for a reason. Because they are saving it for a New Frontierland with Woody's Roundup.

I know that people won't like it, but I'm actually totally for it. Unlike Tiana it fits perfectly in Frontierland.

Toy-Story-Land_Full_25052.jpg

Last edited:

jt04

Maybe the Western town and Big Al's Toy Barn were taking out of the final version of TSL for a reason. Because they are saving it for a retheme of Frontierland with Woody's Roundup. I know that people won't like it, but I'm actually totally for it. Unlike Tiana it fits perfectly in Frontierland.

I think it is more likely a precursor to moving away from the Frontierland aesthetics of the past at wdw. But I think Big Thunder is safe as is. Might even get the Disneyland enhancements. IMO.

MickeyMouse10

I think it is more likely a precursor to moving away from the Frontierland aesthetics of the past at wdw. But I think Big Thunder is safe as is. Might even get the Disneyland enhancements. IMO.

They'll never... ever completely remove Frontierland.

They'll just add and subtract attractions like they've done with Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. Disney won't get rid of one their best lands, they're not Universal.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Maybe the Western town and Big Al's Toy Barn were taking out of the final version of TSL for a reason. Because they are saving it for a New Frontierland with Woody's Roundup. I know that people won't like it, but I'm actually totally for it. Unlike Tiana it fits perfectly in Frontierland.

Please for the love of Walt and all that is magic,
NO 👏MORE👏TOY👏 STORY👏 What's next, Everest becoming Buzz Lightyear's Frozen Adventure???

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
But does it though?

The only way I'd accept any Toy Story treatment to Fronterland is if it's so understated it's practically blink and you miss it. By that I mean, no giant Toy figures or any "plastic" looking set decor. A ye-olde Woody's Roundup show, Meet and Greet and super subtle overlay to Big Thunder; acceptable if they must put the IP there. As for how to retheme big thunder to Toy Story and not have it suck... :shrugs: not a clue. Unless they can somehow convince us that Stinky Pete was based on an actual person.

Last edited:

Haymarket2008

The only way I'd accept any Toy Story treatment to Fronterland is if it's so understated it's practically blink and you miss it. By that I mean, no giant Toy figures or any "plastic" looking set decor. A ye-olde Woody's Roundup show, Meet and Greet and super subtle overlay to Big Thunder would be acceptable. Not great or ideal but acceptable if they must put the IP there. As for how to retheme big thunder to Toy Story and not have it suck... :shrugs: not a clue. Unless they can somehow convince us that Stinky Pete was based on an actual person.

The only acceptable thing, imho, would be a little addition like the Hunchback turn and crank in the little courtyard to the left of Disneyland castle. Super out of the way and unobtrusive.

jt04

The only way I'd accept any Toy Story treatment to Fronterland is if it's so understated it's practically blink and you miss it. By that I mean, no giant Toy figures or any "plastic" looking set decor. A ye-olde Woody's Roundup show, Meet and Greet and super subtle overlay to Big Thunder would be acceptable. Not great or ideal but acceptable if they must put the IP there. As for how to retheme big thunder to Toy Story and not have it suck... :shrugs: not a clue. Unless they can somehow convince us that Stinky Pete was based on an actual person.

S.E.A. could be another layer in place setting. All about the layers. 📑📔📚📜

stratman50th

Let's be realistic. It's Disney, they won't bother retheming anything, any land. Just slap Louisiana onto a mountain, call it the upper bayou and then call it a day.

MickeyLuv'r

Are Disney rides art?

Similarly, should Magic Kingdom be considered for designation as a Florida or National Historic Landmark? (Technically, to be a NHL it has to reach 50 years old. Before that , it can be put in the National Register.)

DC0703

I was looking at Google Maps to refresh my memory on the placement of this ride. It is in an awkward place for a re-theme, given that Frontierland is shaped like a boomerang and Splash is right at the crux. Probably the easiest way to make it fit would be to make it a part of Adventureland, which would require retheming the area around Splash and probably retheming Pecos Bill Cafe to something bayou themed. I doubt they will do much theming to the surrounding area, but having the old west theme directly around the ride will not fit.

TP2000

I was looking at Google Maps to refresh my memory on the placement of this ride. It is in an awkward place for a re-theme, given that Frontierland is shaped like a boomerang and Splash is right at the crux. Probably the easiest way to make it fit would be to make it a part of Adventureland, which would require retheming the area around Splash and probably retheming Pecos Bill Cafe to something bayou themed. I doubt they will do much theming to the surrounding area, but having the old west theme directly around the ride will not fit.

We're talking about this over on the Disneyland forum, but the Tiana remake for Splash Mountain was hatched back in 2019 specifically for Disneyland where Splash Mountain sits right next to New Orleans Square. The Disneyland version will extend New Orleans Square's theme into the woodsy "bayou" that used to be Critter Country.

Whatever happens to the awkward placement of WDW's Splash Mountain in the middle of Frontierland will merely be leftovers from the Disneyland artistic vision this remake was originally created for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom