News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The ride shouldn't have been called 'Splash Mountain' to begin with... if there were going to be any thematic integration of the ride mechanics and build with the story.

The story has a rather low hill, not a mountain. The story doesn't have a river journey or a waterfall, just a throw into a briar patch of which the flume is merely symbolic of. Then in MK, the briars look a lot like red sandstone, obviously to make it look 'frontierish' on the outside to blend with BTMR, even though it's set in the South and abutting the Mississippi.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I do kind of like the songs from the original tho...but I think this is a good idea, and it might be fun to see how they make this transition.

I don't know what the appropriate term is but I'm holding out hope that the "How do you do?" riff is dropped or sampled into the music arrangement even it's it just Louis playing it on trumpet or some characters humming a few bars as a nod to what came before.

jt04

You figured they would go with something more nature themed for the restaurant (Bambi, Pocahontas, etc). It had to be because the new attraction. They've had their evil plans for Tiana's Mardi Gras Mountain behind closed doors waiting for the right time to unveil it. With the recent protests... it was perfect.

Or because the natural setting meshes perfectly aesthetically. Immersive.

We've talked about Splash being reimagined for at least a decade on these boards. And the possibility of New Orleans Square and Critter Country and other highlights from Disneyland being imported to WDW.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
New Orleans next to Big Thunder Mountain which I have no idea where (I'll say New Mexico) is a theming disaster
But you're OK then with the Mississippi next to BTMR not being a theming disaster?
The outside of the mountain looks nothing like Mississippi (or anywhere in the South) today and doesn‘t have to look anything like New Orleans tomorrow. I’d leave it the same at least on all the sides but the part facing the queue.

I know the concept art looks like the structure is similar with just a paint job except for the boat in the tree. Not sure if that’s just artistic license or they actually make the tree and the boat at the top. There’s a lot of show scenes for the ride. I‘d focus the budget there.

Last edited:

Bocabear

The Rivers of America is just that the Rivers of America, not the Mississippi River.
So it is a conglomeration of all rivers... Incidentally Tom Sawyer takes place on the Mississippi River....which flows to New Orleans... So in some ways, they are kind of kin...though very different locations

GoneForGood

The ride shouldn't have been called 'Splash Mountain' to begin with... if there were going to be any thematic integration of the ride mechanics and build with the story.

The story has a rather low hill, not a mountain. The story doesn't have a river journey or a waterfall, just a throw into a briar patch of which the flume is merely symbolic of. Then in MK, the briars look a lot like red sandstone, obviously to make it look 'frontierish' on the outside to blend with BTMR, even though it's set in the South and abutting the Mississippi.
Well to be fair, "Splash Mountain" is the nickname given to chick a pin hill in the backstory, as when a dam had busted it flooded the forest and homes in the area. It still doesn't make it a "mountain" but it is more of a fancy title.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So, that section is a river boat ride down... the Colorado?... narrated by Samuel Clemens even though Mississippi islands are on the other side?
This relates to Disneyland park and a refurb from 2010. It describes the scenes as being from multiple rivers. WDW makes less sense though. Full disclaimer:I stole this from another site

A92867C2-5E2A-4C74-8A59-5A4E7E7FFA1C.jpeg

Sir_Cliff

Of all the issues related to this project, making an attraction that takes place in Louisiana fit into that corner of Frontierland seems like the least of them. Frontierland is supposed to be an amalgam of ideas and imagery associated with the exploration and settlement of the American frontier. It already features a mix of wilderness and Wild West theming, including a big river with a steamboat running right through it. A version of Splash Mountain themed to Louisiana isn't going to register as any more out of place than the current version.

If they can stick Africa, Polynesia, the Caribbean, and the Middle East side-by-side in Adventureland and Bavarian and English-themed buildings across from each other in Fantasyland, I don't know why anyone would find a representation of Louisiana placed amidst representations the American frontier a thematic issue. I'm pretty positive Disney is not going to feel it requires building a whole New Orleans mini-land which, if anything, would probably cut Big Thunder off from the rest of Frontierland far more dramatically.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

I was just pointing out Ray’s current...condition after the movie. If he is in the ride...Jim has to do the voice (I hope he does). Goin down the bayou is perfect and it basically requires Ray.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom