News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I doubt they'll keep the word "Splash" in the title. Because it will just **** off the traditionalists. At least we'll be able to tell our grandkids, pets and possibly fellow mental patients about it. My bet is they'll go with "Tiana's Mardi Gras Mountain".

I admit it is the best thing merchandise-wise to go with Tiana and her crew. But I just wish it could have gone somewhere else, much like Frozen and Mickey's Railway. They could have put their shiny faces somewhere else that was more suitable.
The only lock is that “mountain” will be in the name. Outside of that who knows.

MickeyMouse10

(Sorry, not exactly related to this thread, but didn't know where to post.)
Does anybody think Disney World could ever get a POCAHONTAS dark ride?
Or is it too sensitive/controversial of a subject? Would it be deemed as cultural appropriation?

I would love to one day have a Pocahontas dark ride, it's one of my favorite Disney movies of all time and I am fascinated with Native American history and books/movies since childhood. (Just imagine a Grandmother Willow Animatronic while on a canoe).

Was kinda' hoping maybe one day, the WDC could develop such a ride and maybe share the budget with Disneyland Paris. (Since there were rumors some time ago that I read about here, about building some sort of Pocahontas ride...was kinda' hoping the Splash retheme would be to that.)

I don't think Disney would touch that one with a 20 foot totempole. Because it's not completely accurate and people are so sensitive nowadays.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The only lock is that “mountain” will be in the name. Outside of that who knows.

Hmm. I'd rather they keep "Splash" and drop "Mountain" from the name.

But as @MickeyMouse10 suggested and because Disney likes their alliterative titles; it may very well be "Mardi Gras Mountain". I don't particularly like it however because mountains in NOLA don't exist but I doubt that'll stop them. For additional alliteration you can have it be "Mama Odie's Mardi Gras Mountain" which would theoretically address the "no mountains in NOLA issue" - it exists because it's magic!

TJJohn12

Closing the ride and announcing the replacement addresses the ”cultural“ aspect. As far as capacity goes, MK isn’t going to get near full “normal” operations for a while. Could even be several years before we pull fully out of this recession and full travel and leisure gets back to where it was pre-Covid. At a minimum they will wait until after this fiscal year is over to start laying out cash for the project. Capital spend is virtually on hold outside of projects that are already too far along to stop. I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility that the ride stays closed for a year or 2 if they slow play the project. I’m not saying that’s what’s going to happen but it’s not impossible either.

Now I get you. I thought you meant mothball Splash for an extended period to allow the "moment" to blow over, then reopen as Splash after.

I'm actually on board with what you're saying here, though I'd even push Capex out further on this one if I had to guess. The project has only been in progress at WDI for a year. I doubt there's much concrete beyond a few storyboard options for the ride's story. There's tons of R&D / design work to do between now and first shovel.

Closing the ride in the next 12 months even if they don't lift a shovel for another year after that doesn't seem out of the question - what you're saying about ride capacity is quite clearly the case. But the shovels will be lifting at some point relatively soon (3-4 year timeline I'd wager).

SirLink

Except when I tried to get an authentic po-boy sandwich at their restaurant in California, I was told they used hoagy rolls instead of New Orleans-style French baguettes.

I have definately had apo-boy in a french baguette at Ralph Brennan though so maybe they ran out or the bread delivery hadn't been

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'm thinking they'll give an over-the-top name e.g. extraTERRORrestrial with a wordsmithered title that's somehow both alliterative and generic all at once. Oh and on brand for marketing reasons, that's important! Something painfully stupid like "Princess Tiana's Splash Mountain Mardi Gras Bash" a serviceable attraction name that offends traditionalists and is too word. It's terrible really. Naturally, it's probably the frontrunner.

jprenkert

Actually the way the attraction was designed already dealt with any "Cultural Aspect" of the ride. It is Southern critters only...There is no mention of race, time period or anything else related to the film,..just some fun happy tunes and a sweet story... It goes no further...And neither should anyone riding it...
Do we need to start dissecting all of the fairy tales to look for things to be offended by?
Having rode the ride, maybe twice, I would not have known it came from that movie, let alone anything to slavery. Shouldn't we take some of the things in the past, have a discussion on it, learn from it, and move on?

Just like anything, you dig deep enough, youll find something you don't like.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s one of THE mountains. They won’t change that.
Hmm. I'd rather they keep "Splash" and drop "Mountain" from the name.

But as @MickeyMouse10 suggested and because Disney likes their alliterative titles; it may very well be "Mardi Gras Mountain". I don't particularly like it however because mountains in NOLA don't exist but I doubt that'll stop them. For additional alliteration you can have it be "Mama Odie's Mardi Gras Mountain" which would theoretically address the "no mountains in NOLA issue" - it exists because it's magic!
Being that the name Splash Mountain had literally nothing to do with the story, IP or the ride itself it’s possible they just keep the name Splash Mountain. It’s still a mountain...there’s still a splash at the end. Maybe Splash Mountain and then a subtitle.

“Splash Mountain: Mardis Gras“ Pick your favorite subtitle. Depends on what the story of the ride is.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Actually the way the attraction was designed already dealt with any "Cultural Aspect" of the ride. It is Southern critters only...There is no mention of race, time period or anything else related to the film,..just some fun happy tunes and a sweet story... It goes no further...And neither should anyone riding it...
Do we need to start dissecting all of the fairy tales to look for things to be offended by?
I’m sure that debate is probably still raging in the other thread. Off topic here.

PREMiERdrum

Being that the name Splash Mountain had literally nothing to do with the story, IP or the ride itself it’s possible they just keep the name Splash Mountain. It’s still a mountain...there’s still a splash at the end. Maybe Splash Mountain and then a subtitle.

“Splash Mountain: Mardis Gras“ Pick your favorite subtitle. Depends on what the story of the ride is.

I'd lay a LeFou's Brew down that we end up with "Splash Mountain: Tiana's Mardi Gras Adventure."

MickeyMouse10

I should have known they were doing this ride when they announced Tiana's restaurant for "Reflections". A resort about nature totally unrelated to Princess and the Frog gets the restaurant. What's the nature in her story??? The swamp???

reflections-princess-frog-restaurant.jpg

Last edited:

Otamin

I hope you're right.

It would be a massive shame to lose such an iconic name.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I'm sticking with Beignet Mountain. A thrilling drop into a vat of powdered sugar.

THAT'S what the Briar Patch can be converted to, besides a themed gift store....a Beignet shop! Eat first then ride to get all that powdered sugar washed off..... ;) And to tie in make them Mickey shaped...:D And while my love for SM has me hoping still WDW keeps this gem as is and plusses it.....it's still fun to imagine what they "could" do if they must......:cautious:
..EASY Mickey Mouse Beignets - I Heart Naptime

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

The only idea that worked at the proposed resort.

You figured they would go with something more nature themed for the restaurant (Bambi, Pocahontas, etc). It had to be because the new attraction. They've had their evil plans for Tiana's Mardi Gras Mountain behind closed doors waiting for the right time to unveil it. With the recent protests... it was perfect.

KimAnnFran

I do kind of like the songs from the original tho...but I think this is a good idea, and it might be fun to see how they make this transition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom