News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Most likely. Still holding out hope for PatF/New Orleans Square and a Critter Country land at the MK.

(Moving the train station would create enough space)
They can’t really move the train station. What they could do is utilize the existing queue, gift shop, restrooms and the small play area under the train tracks and outdoor meet and greet area back on the other side of the tracks. Plenty of room to do something and the transition under the tracks would be pretty good, not intrusive to Frontierland. If they follow a similar pattern to FLE they might build a permanent meet and greet area for a few of the characters. Woody has his own land and restaurant now at DHS so the place is vacant anyway;)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
You guys are all going to have egg on your face when Disney announces that the plans to overhaul the Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain to the Princess and the Frog IP will be canceled in favor or converting Swiss Family Tree House and Jungle Cruise to "Mama Odie's Tree House" and "Princess and the Frog's Bayou Cruise" respectively. Even Ray the lovable lightening bug is back to headline "Ray's Firefly Jamboree" a replacement for the Aladdin Spinner.

As for Splash Mountain, rumor has it this Frontierland overhaul will eventually receive an all new storyline and treatment based on a mysterious Society of Explorers and Adventurers character; lifelong friend turned rival to Big Thunder's Barnabas T. Bullion.

More on this story as it develops. /s

Last edited:

UNCgolf

This doesn't seem to make any sense. Why destroy the ride itself that people love? It's the theme that is outdated, not the ride. That would punish people for no reason. Is it the theme that people love or the ride?

At Disney, I'd say theme usually matters more than the ride itself. Horizons was one of my favorite rides ever, but if it still existed and was the exact same "ride" but was now themed to some IP, it may as well have been demolished and replaced with something entirely new. The fact that the ride vehicle takes the exact same path would be mostly irrelevant.

There are a few exceptions for some outright thrill rides (I think Rock 'n Roller Coaster could be rethemed and the majority of fans wouldn't care), but I don't think Splash falls into that category. It's not a simple up and down; the vast majority of the ride is built around the theme and the show scenes.

Touchdown

At Disney, I'd say theme usually matters more than the ride itself. Horizons was one of my favorite rides ever, but if it still existed and was the exact same "ride" but was now themed to some IP, it may as well have been demolished and replaced with something entirely new. The fact that the ride vehicle takes the exact same path would be mostly irrelevant.

There are a few exceptions for some outright thrill rides (I think Rock 'n Roller Coaster could be rethemed and the majority of fans wouldn't care), but I don't think Splash falls into that category. It's not a simple up and down; the vast majority of the ride is built around the theme and the show scenes.

How many log flumes have you ridden? Most don’t have 2 drops let alone 4 major ones (1 minor) or in DLs case 3 major ones and 3 minor ones. Ive ridden a lot of them, it’s one of my favorite ride types, trust me, that flume course is the best in the United States.

UNCgolf

How many log flumes have you ridden? Most don’t have 2 drops let alone 4 major ones (1 minor) or in DLs case 3 major ones and 3 minor ones. Ive ridden a lot of them, it’s one of my favorite ride types, trust me, that flume course is the best in the United States.

I didn't say it wasn't?

My point is that there are likely as many and maybe more people who care about the theme as care about the ride system itself. Otherwise there'd be no reason for Disney to even spend money on a theme and they could also eliminate about half of the time between the drops -- it wouldn't need to be a 10 minute long ride. Of course those people care about the ride itself as well; it's the combination of the theming and the ride system that makes it such a great ride.

I meant to specify in the original post that Splash is in a middle area where both the ride system and the theming are important as opposed to something like Horizons. It's similar to the Jurassic Park ride at Universal (which is my favorite ride there), where the drop is fun and a big part of the ride, but the dinosaur theming is even more important. That's not to say that Splash has to be themed to Song of the South to work -- with the right design (and budget) they can make Princess and the Frog work just as well. I'm saying that Splash wouldn't automatically be a great ride to a significant number of Disney guests if it was the ride system and nothing else. They go hand in hand.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
You guys are all going to have egg on your face when Disney announces that the plans to overhaul the Magic Kingdom's Splash Mountain to the Princess and the Frog IP will be canceled in favor or converting Swiss Family Tree House and Jungle Cruise to "Mama Odie's Tree House" and "Princess and the Frog's Bayou Cruise" respectively.

As for Splash Mountain, rumor has it that it will eventually receive an all new overlay treatment based on a mysterious Society of Explorers and Adventurers character, a rival to Big Thunder's Barnabas T. Bullion.

More on this story as it develops. /s
Did I miss something.....

Jedijax719

Which, to me, is all the more reason to change the theme (if true). The current theme has no relevance to anything that many can relate to.

UNCgolf

Which, to me, is all the more reason to change the theme (if true). The current theme has no relevance to anything that many can relate to.

Sure, I have no problem with changing the theme as long as they do it justice -- which is what worries me. I'm not optimistic that they will give it the budget it needs to make something comparable to what currently exists.

Regardless, there are tons of people who love the current theme because it's so well done.

disneygeek90

Sure, I have no problem with changing the theme as long as they do it justice -- which is what worries me. I'm not optimistic that they will give it the budget it needs to make something comparable to what currently exists.

Regardless, there are tons of people who love the current theme because it's so well done.
I want to think that they know how legendary SM is and know it needs a worthy replacement. Since we don't know much at this point I'm gonna refrain from getting worried... for now.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Or build a fake steamboat like that of the Empress Lilly for a New Orleans inspired restaurant, but I? would advise they only do that if Ralph Brennan group runs it.
Except when I tried to get an authentic po-boy sandwich at their restaurant in California, I was told they used hoagy rolls instead of New Orleans-style French baguettes.

The original announcement of the Splash Mountain to Princess and the Frog thread is now available in the 'Politics and Social Issues' forum at https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/splash-mountain-re-theme-announced.965846/unread

In the absence of many specific details on the project and due to its polarizing nature, the original thread is mostly a political/social debate, which is best served in the Politics/Social section of the forum. In its original location in News & Rumors it became impossible to moderate within the no-political discussion rule that we have in place (see Terms and rules).

This thread will serve as the ongoing thread for discussion of the attraction retheme. ANY political/social commentary in this thread will be deleted and the poster will be banned from taking any further part.

Here is the original announcement news article which contains concept art and all of the released information at this point.

Posted a similar thread over on Imagineering but here are my thoughts:
Im pumped! This has a lot of potential especially with Disney’s newer styles of using projections as lighting features or for creating shadows. Nonetheless I’m hoping they’re will be AA’s and heavy physical sets, but then again no idea on the budget. Also hoping they’ll include plenty of nods and Easter eggs to splash (maybe Louis could even end up playing the famous tune of song of the south on his trumpet haha!)

aladdin2007

Im pumped! This has a lot of potential especially with Disney’s newer styles of using projections as lighting features or for creating shadows. Nonetheless I’m hoping they’re will be AA’s and heavy physical sets, but then again no idea on the budget. Also hoping they’ll include plenty of nods and Easter eggs to splash (maybe Louis could even end up playing the famous tune of song of the south on his trumpet haha!)

great another barren frozen ever after; "Tiana Ever After Through the Bayou"......not if what others are saying is true......pathetically meager, IF what others have said is true.

They are going to have to do better than all that with this, they are taking a iconic heavily detailed headliner and messing with perfection, they have a lot to live up to on this one. But I dont think they much care anymore. With Baxter consulting it gave me some hope, but then he also consulted on frozen...so.....meh.

PREMiERdrum

The spatial considerations of SM's show areas compared to Maelstrom give me encouragement that it would be much more difficult to replace most physical scenes with projections. I sincerely expect to see the scene layout and many set elements on the upper 2 floors of the show building to remain intact, as much of it is baked into the ride itself.

After the drop into the laughing place is where I think we'll see a thinning of show elements, and wouldn't be completely shocked if much of the gunnite work down there is simply left in the dark a la SSE's descent. If that's the budgetary compromise we're left with, I'm good with it.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Interestingly enough, even the MK attraction page has the attraction blurb stating that Splash Mountain is a "hare-raising" adventure along a Southern bayou. Southern Bayou you say? And with that; I'd be shocked if "Bayou" isn't include in the rename of the attraction.

Princess Tina's Splash Mountain: Bayou Soirée
(apostrophe and accent marks will be little fireflies)
I think it's always used the phrase "Southern Bayou" to describe Splash

aladdin2007

The spatial considerations of SM's show areas compared to Maelstrom give me encouragement that it would be much more difficult to replace most physical scenes with projections. I sincerely expect to see the scene layout and many set elements on the upper 2 floors of the show building to remain intact, as much of it is baked into the ride itself.

After the drop into the laughing place is where I think we'll see a thinning of show elements, and wouldn't be completely shocked if much of the gunnite work down there is simply left in the dark a la SSE's descent. If that's the budgetary compromise we're left with, I'm good with it.

good perspective, makes sense

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Did I miss something.....

Just some sarc and armchair-imagineering showing that Princess and the Frog IP could have gone elsewhere. Instead of a single overlay to Splash Mountain. What if:

Swiss Family Tree House became "Mama Odie's Place"
Aladdin Spinner became "Ray's Firefly Jamboree"
Aloha Isle : "Sweet Evangiline's Bayou Beignets"
Agrabah Bazaar into "La Bouff Sugar Company Gifts: a Princess and the Frog Store"
Frontierland Shooting Gallery (repurposed to be Adventurerland facing) "Dr, Facilier's Arcana Arcade"
Diamond Horseshoe : "Tiana's Place Restaurant"

Heck, I'm sure a Meet and Greet could have be thrown in somewhere as well.

Not ideal, but that, in my mind would have been a better use of the IP versus the singular ride overlay to Splash Mountain we're getting. This or something similar could have reinvigorated some of the lesser areas and attractions within Adventureland. My sarcky response is that PatF could have gone elsewhere. MK's Splash would have still required a retheme of course.* But, had WDI done this instead or some other PatF overlay to the upper half of Adventureland - we'd atleast have different representations of the IP on each coast as well as unique Splash Mountains in the parks. But I guess that's a discussion for another thread. Not sure if it was ever considered, but the idea is moot now.

C'est la vie.

Last edited:

TJJohn12

...Realistically they could actually just close the ride and not re-open it for a while but I don’t think that happens....

I'm not sure that's realistic - either from a MK attraction capacity standpoint or from the point where culture is. This moment is not going away.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not sure that's realistic - either from a MK attraction capacity standpoint or from the point where culture is. This moment is not going away.
As far as capacity goes, MK isn’t going to get near full “normal” operations for a while. Could even be several years before we pull fully out of this recession and full travel and leisure gets back to where it was pre-Covid. At a minimum they will wait until after this fiscal year is over to start laying out cash for the project. Capital spend is virtually on hold outside of projects that are already too far along to stop. I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility that the ride stays closed for a year or 2 if they slow play the project. I’m not saying that’s what’s going to happen but it’s not impossible either.

Last edited by a moderator:

MickeyMouse10

I doubt they'll keep the word "Splash" in the title. Because it will just off the traditionalists. At least we'll be able to tell our grandkids, pets and possibly fellow mental patients about it. My bet is they'll go with "Tiana's Mardi Gras Mountain".

I admit it is the best thing merchandise-wise to go with Tiana and her crew. But I just wish it could have gone somewhere else, much like Frozen and Mickey's Railway. They could have put their shiny faces somewhere else that was more suitable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom