News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

tirian

It will never happen, but some version of Western River Expedition would be the most ideal retheme.
Escape a burning town via a massive drop! That was part of the original plan. There’s no reason not to build WRE. If you review Marc Davis’ designs, very few of the jokes were racially insensitive, and they could easily be swapped today. The caricatures would’ve been on the same level as POTC, and would’ve been consistently applied to all humans anyway. WRE would actually make sense here.

lazyboy97o

Escape a burning town via a massive drop! That was part of the original plan. There’s no reason not to build WRE. If you review Marc Davis’ designs, very few of the jokes were racially insensitive, and they could easily be swapped today. The caricatures would’ve been on the same level as POTC, and would’ve been consistently applied to all humans anyway. WRE would actually make sense here.
But it’s not “Disney”!

Animaniac93-98

Marc Davis was one of the directing animators on Song of the South. He's cancelled. :p

No Name

Back when Disney announced plans for New Fantasyland the princess haters were up in arms about putting anything princessy in Fantasyland. Now they're replacing Splash Mountain with a princess themed attraction in FRONTIERLAND and everyone is just all in with it? Where did all the princess haters go?
People were upset that the center attraction of the new land was an elaborate meet and greet house. Also the company bought Marvel and Star Wars and has achieved greater balance.

celluloid

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A sad aspect of all this is that if Woke Disney World would've had announced an elaborate PatF flume ride to replace Circus Land I'd be overjoyed.

Now I just feel similar to GMR -> MMR. They punch you in the gut then offer you some candy. Well no, not in the mood after that, thank you.
I don’t disagree. It is what it is though like a sunk cost at this point. I’d still rather see something really well done vs cheap and lazy or just a closed attraction.

doctornick

I don't see the idea of trying to create a "New Orleans Square" area and extend to POTC - MK's POTC looks fantastic in Adventureland and I would strongly argue that the Spanish fort look (and queue) is a big step up from DL's POTC facade.

If the powers that be wanted to create a New Orleans type area in MK, they should do it around the back of Splash, incorperating the RR station and then adding a restaurant/shops on that area - even building over the canal if needed.

The Empress Lilly

Back when Disney announced plans for New Fantasyland the princess haters were up in arms about putting anything princessy in Fantasyland. Now they're replacing Splash Mountain with a princess themed attraction in FRONTIERLAND and everyone is just all in with it? Where did all the princess haters go?
I have never heard any Disney fan complain about Snow White or Alice or Cinderella in Fantasyland? Classic, female lead movie IP attractions are not an issue in themselves, but a widely loved classic staple of Fantasylands.

doctornick

John Henry is another option, but I don't think Disney could make enough money off of those characters in merchandising.

Building a "Land of Legends" type land or area of Frontierland would be fantastic - and having a John Henry attraction would be an ideal way to provide greater representation to people of color. Is there any Native American based "tall tale" that could be considered for such an area?

The Empress Lilly

I don’t disagree. It is what it is though like a sunk cost at this point. I’d still rather see something really well done vs cheap and lazy or just a closed attraction.
Why yes, better a good PatF ride than a bad one. But even better yet would have been the best possible ride for this location.

PatF it will always be the Affirmative Action ride. Only there to fill a quota. Much better candidates were disallowed from even applying.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why yes, better a good PatF ride than a bad one. But even better yet would have been the best possible ride for this location.

PatF it will always be the Affirmative Action ride. Only there to fill a quota. Much better candidates were disallowed from even applying.
I think that’s off topic for this thread. The attraction itself if done right can still be really, really good. The ride system won’t change so the length of the ride won’t change either I would assume. That’s a lot of time and space to tell a really good story. I like that it’s not going to be a story book type ride that just rehashes the story of the source movie. They can be creative and tell a story thats original. It’s a blank slate. Those types of rides have the most potential and also the highest risks. Here’s the hoping they hit a home run.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't see the idea of trying to create a "New Orleans Square" area and extend to POTC - MK's POTC looks fantastic in Adventureland and I would strongly argue that the Spanish fort look (and queue) is a big step up from DL's POTC facade.

If the powers that be wanted to create a New Orleans type area in MK, they should do it around the back of Splash, incorperating the RR station and then adding a restaurant/shops on that area - even building over the canal if needed.
Agree with this. After looking at the maps it would be a rather large New Orleans Square area If they went all the way down to PoTC. I do think they could just start with the area right next to Splash and have that be the transition back to New Orleans Square. They could ramp up to a Pedestrian train bridge for the transition. Then the Splash show building would be a fake facade looking like a New Orleans style town and the backstage building on the other side of the street could be used for a restaurant or theater for a show. Then have the street end in the queue for Splash. They could also build a transition by the queue back to Frontierland and the train station too.

Edit: In the picture below the blue line would be the path of the street with a pedestrian bridge over the train tracks, and the backstage areas blocked off. They would have to relocate whatever is in the big building across from the Splash show building but then use that space for a restaurant, shops and maybe a show or meet and greet area.
EB3CB2F1-F22A-4A72-A6B6-ECE96F49F2F7.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom