News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

CHOX

The set dressing of the DL and WDW versions is vastly different. Particularly the interior scenes following the first drop.

These scenes at DL's feel more swampy and compact/interconnected with less separation. The walls are generally obscured with scenery and mostly painted dark colors so it feels more like a darker densely forested swamp environment. Even the foliage used to fill out the ceiling looks very different, colorful hanging ferns (or perhaps it's supposed to be Spanish moss).

WDW's scenery feels more like a river carving its way along the edges of a forest. The walls now painted with brightly lit colorful murals of distant farmland, rolling hills, trees and sky. The scenes themselves are just as densely detailed, but also larger and better spread out and segmented from one another. Rockwork is more detailed and hilly, redder looking dirt and clay layers. Even the ceiling foliage is very different, using tree branches adorned with leaves instead of the hanging moss/ferns from DL. Some of the same differences are present in the riverboat finale scene as well. By and large, a significant chunk of the scenery at WDW is much better and more detailed IMO. This is not so much due to the different environment it goes through (though I do prefer that too), the scenery simply received more attention and detail than the DL version.

Tokyo's by comparison seems more similar to the setting of Cali's, again like it's deep inside a swampy forest. Same sort of hanging mossy/ferny foliage as DL as well, and largely obscured walls that lack the aforementioned murals of WDW's. However much like WDW, greater detail was put into the environmental scenery than Disneyland (mostly that is, I don't like the design of the Laughing Place caverns as much as DL and WDW, or the removal of the water wheel mill and shaft at the beginning).

Animatronics wise I believe Disneyland has the most figures by a small margin, Google lists it as 68 figures (which is roughly accurate from my count, though a couple of these are smaller simpler figures). It reuses the America Sings AAs, and a handful of characters didn't make it into WDW and Tokyo. Though it should be noted that the ones used for the main "Brer" trio from the movies have significantly better designs at WDW and Tokyo and several contain superior motion over their DL counterparts (especially the hopping Rabbit figure which isn't in DL). WDW and Tokyo also still utilize an enormous quantity on their own merits. At least 55 with a good range of motion from my count, and another handful of simpler figures I didn't even count. Greater by far than anything Disney has built over the past 20 years.

By any chance do you know which characters are exclusive to Anaheim? I’ve been on both and can’t think of any. I assume leftovers from America Signs that don’t quite fit in like the cats and dog? I’m more familiar with the Anaheim version so the specific AA’s don’t stand out as much as the scenery, which you provided a great breakdown on.

N2dru

By any chance do you know which characters are exclusive to Anaheim? I’ve been on both and can’t think of any. I assume leftovers from America Signs that don’t quite fit in like the cats and dog? I’m more familiar with the Anaheim version so the specific AA’s don’t stand out as much as the scenery, which you provided a great breakdown on.
One that comes to mind is the hitchhiking gator...he's absent in Orlando. And also in the finale the cats and fox on the cart being pulled by a donkey on the right are America Sings originals.
Edit...also the owl in the mill lift hill and the rabbit on the railcart above you right before you reach the hitchhiking gator.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

My knowledge of WDW's Splash Mtn is a lot more vast than Disneyland's. And i know relatively little about America Sings other than a significant chunk of the figures were reused for it. But I can point out a few of the different characters.

A handful of the Disneyland exclusive figures are the cats and dogs, yes. Most of these appear in the finale scene. Both on the riverboat and off to the right side in a donkey-pulled cart. The donkey, cart and surrounding characters are only seen at Cali (the donkey is found earlier in the ride as well).

There's also an owl on the left side of the second lift hill (inside the water mill), though he's has rather simplistic movement).

The Burrow's Lament scene and its surrounding characters are Disneyland only. There's a possum and rabbit mother with a handful of their babies who sing a dark version of the Laughing Place theme (an instrumental version of the song is still played during the final big lift hill at WDW and Tokyo). Only Brer Fox and Rabbit are in the scene at WDW and Tokyo. There is a trio of basic possum figures hanging from the ceiling earlier in the ride at WDW, but they're much smaller and seemingly completely different characters. Two other members of Brer Rabbit's family also appear earlier in the WDW ride in a different scene, but fewer in number than at Disneyland.

Just prior to the Burrow's Lament, there's what looks like 2 storks (which aren't anywhere to be found at WDW) and another 4 bird figures. One of them is a unique female character (underneath an umbrella). There's also another dog or wolf looking character nearby who appears again on the riverboat. None of these are at WDW or Tokyo.

At WDW, the Laughing Place cavern has more emphasis on the flooded scenery than the others. There's a bunch of extra debris and piles of crates and large pots, and more fountains (several of which jump over the passing logs). There are a couple of singing frog AA's alongside some simplistic laughing turtle figures riding jets of water. There's also a greater emphasis on the prairie dogs (which are more static figures) popping out of their holes (one from the ceiling).

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Couldn’t the laughing place cavern easily become your drop down into the other side? And then Mama Odie saves you as you ascend the lift hill or something?

aladdin2007

The set dressing of the DL and WDW versions is vastly different. Particularly the interior scenes following the first drop.

These scenes at DL's feel more swampy and compact/interconnected with less separation. The walls are generally obscured with scenery and mostly painted dark colors so it feels more like a darker densely forested swamp environment. Even the foliage used to fill out the ceiling looks very different, colorful hanging ferns (or perhaps it's supposed to be Spanish moss).

WDW's scenery feels more like a river traveling along the edge of a forest. The walls are painted with brightly lit colorful murals of distant farmland, rolling hills, trees and sky. The scenes themselves are just as densely detailed, but also larger and better spread out and segmented from one another. Rockwork is more detailed and hilly, with redder looking dirt and clay layers. Even the ceiling foliage is very different, using tree branches adorned with leaves instead of the hanging moss/ferns from DL. Some of the same differences are present in the riverboat finale scene as well. By and large, a significant chunk of the scenery at WDW is much better and more detailed IMO. Not specifically because of the different environment it goes through (though I do prefer that too), the scenery simply received more attention and detail than the DL version.

Tokyo's by comparison seems more similar to the setting of Cali's, again deep within a swampy forest. Same sort of hanging moss/fern foliage as DL as well, and largely obscured walls that lack the aforementioned murals of WDW's. However much like WDW, greater detail was still put into the environmental scenery than Disneyland (mostly that is, I don't like the design of the Laughing Place caverns as much as DL and WDW, or the removal of the old water mill and shaft at the beginning).

Animatronics wise I believe Disneyland has the most figures by a small amount, Google lists it as 68 figures (which is roughly accurate from my count, though a couple of these are smaller simpler figures). It reuses the America Sings AAs, and a handful of characters didn't make it into WDW and Tokyo. Though it should be noted that the ones used for the main "Brer" trio from the movies have significantly better designs at WDW and Tokyo and several contain superior motion over their DL counterparts (especially the hopping Rabbit figure which isn't in DL). WDW and Tokyo also still utilize an enormous quantity on their own merits. I was only counting the ones with what I consider at least a decent range of motion, and that was about 55. Add an extra 5-10 for the simpler moving figures. Greater quantity by far than anything Disney has built over the past 20 years.

And its things like that Im very concerned about losing more than anything, they will could just gut out and replace with much of nothing. The overheard foliage etc and other details are part of what make this attraction a Disney masterpiece of art direction. They dont do that type of atmospheric creative direction/installation anymore.

disneygeek90

And its things like that Im very concerned about losing more than anything, they will could just gut out and replace with much of nothing. The overheard foliage etc and other details are part of what make this attraction a Disney masterpiece of art direction. They dont do that type of atmospheric creative direction/installation anymore.
Sometimes I genuinely don’t know if you all have forgotten about that one attraction that opened 6 months ago.

Bleed0range

Sometimes I genuinely don’t know if you all have forgotten about that one attraction that opened 6 months ago.

Seems like there’s just an aire of cynicism about everything new Disney does on this forum. That everything was done better in the old days. They’ve released two recently new attractions which are pretty spectacular imo. Cars Land and Radiator Springs Racers aren’t that old and I consider those to be among the best Disney has ever done.

CHOX

My knowledge of WDW's Splash Mtn is a lot more vast than Disneyland's. And i know relatively little about America Sings other than a significant chunk of the figures were reused for it. But I can point out a few of the different characters.

A handful of the Disneyland exclusive figures are the cats and dogs, yes. Most of these appear in the finale scene. Both on the riverboat and off to the right side in a donkey-pulled cart. The donkey, cart and surrounding characters are only seen at Cali (the donkey is found earlier in the ride as well).

There's also an owl on the left side of the second lift hill (inside the water mill), though he's has rather simplistic movement).

The Burrow's Lament scene and its surrounding characters are Disneyland only. There's a possum and rabbit mother with a handful of their babies who sing a dark version of the Laughing Place theme (an instrumental version of the song is still played during the final big lift hill at WDW and Tokyo). Only Brer Fox and Rabbit are in the scene at WDW and Tokyo. There is a trio of basic possum figures hanging from the ceiling earlier in the ride at WDW, but they're much smaller and seemingly completely different characters. Two other members of Brer Rabbit's family also appear earlier in the WDW ride in a different scene, but fewer in number than at Disneyland.

Just prior to the Burrow's Lament, there's what looks like 2 storks (which aren't anywhere to be found at WDW) and another 4 bird figures. One of them is a unique female character (underneath an umbrella). There's also another dog or wolf looking character nearby who appears again on the riverboat. None of these are at WDW or Tokyo.

At WDW, the Laughing Place cavern has more emphasis on the flooded scenery than the others. There's a bunch of extra debris and piles of crates and large pots, and more fountains (several of which jump over the passing logs). There are a couple of singing frog AA's alongside some simplistic laughing turtle figures riding jets of water. There's also a greater emphasis on the prairie dogs (which are more static figures) popping out of their holes (one from the ceiling).

Do we know why Orlando has Vultures dressed up like the ones from AmericaSings and Anaheim’s are not? That’s always struck me as odd. I figured it was just an homage.

patrok65

Did anyone else notice that in the press release that Disney didn’t say this was an e ticket attraction? Could this be an indication of the budget for this?

I’m gonna start calling this overlay “Navi River Journey 2.0. “
It will feel like a direct sequel, with the pretty lights, truncated story, and absolutely no heart.

Also, it will harbor one staggeringly expensive audio animatronic that will sometimes work. Just like Navi River Journey, Expedition Everest, Toy Story Mania, Voyage of the Little Mermaid . . .

UNCgolf

I think they did with Na'vi River Journey, which is the whole reason I enjoy that ride. It has other serious flaws, but it doesn't skimp on the atmospheric detail.

And Rise of the Resistance, of course, but I'm not sure that's really a good comparison for anything. That was the big showpiece attraction for their most hyped expansion in decades.

drizgirl

Back when Disney announced plans for New Fantasyland the princess haters were up in arms about putting anything princessy in Fantasyland. Now they're replacing Splash Mountain with a princess themed attraction in FRONTIERLAND and everyone is just all in with it? Where did all the princess haters go?

celluloid

Back when Disney announced plans for New Fantasyland the princess haters were up in arms about putting anything princessy in Fantasyland. Now they're replacing Splash Mountain with a princess themed attraction in FRONTIERLAND and everyone is just all in with it? Where did all the princess haters go?

They are afraid of being called racist over an opinion that would be taste that has nothing to do with race of a ficitonal character influencing it.
I saw a storm two days ago of people who work at Disney and Universal mocking others for "Y no Racist Bunny Ride?" as if that proves a point. It was a bunch of hate without context targeting people. The classic "I will unfriend you if you disagree with me bit.

disneygeek90

Seems like there’s just an aire of cynicism about everything new Disney does on this forum. That everything was done better in the old days. They’ve released two recently new attractions which are pretty spectacular imo. Cars Land and Radiator Springs Racers aren’t that old and I consider those to be among the best Disney has ever done.
Love me some RSR. That’s the attraction I miss the most from DLR.

Animaniac93-98

Do we know why Orlando has Vultures dressed up like the ones from America Sings and Anaheim’s are not? That’s always struck me as odd. I figured it was just an homage.

In Tokyo Disney they also don't have hats. I don't know why either, but I like them better with the top hats.

celluloid

I like that they do have the tophats with them being in Frontierland, I feel they should. It makes sells the comedic anthropormorphic Undertaker role

Animaniac93-98

I'd be OK if they changed the WDW Splash to Zorro or some other Western Disney property or original concept. It seems lazy to do the same thing on both coasts and ignore the effort to make Splash fit (at least aesthetically) with Frontierland.

Tokyo Disneyland does have a New Orleans area, but it's on the opposite end of the park from Splash. I could see them picking a different movie if they decide to change their version, or do something more substantial like tear the whole thing down to make another ride.

MickeyMouse10

I'd be OK if they changed the WDW Splash to Zorro or some other Western Disney property or original concept. It seems lazy to do the same thing on both coasts and ignore the effort to make Splash fit (at least aesthetically) with Frontierland.

Tokyo Disneyland does have a New Orleans area, but it's on the opposite end of the park from Splash. I could see them picking a different movie if they decide to change their version, or do something more substantial like tear the whole thing down to make another ride.

I know it's been used to death with the new land and rides, but "Woody's Roundup" would actually fit perfectly. Afterall Stinky Pete and Bullseye haven't really be represented that much in the parks. And we still haven't seen animatronics of most of the characters. Wheezy got one before Woody!!!

All they have to do is retheme Splash, retheme Pecos Bill's and put in an Al's Toy Barn and we got something.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom