News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Brer Oswald

It’s disingenuous to say that the narratives were created in the movie. They existed long long before. It’s why I’ve suggested several times that they just replace the music and change the designs of the three main characters. If removing all callbacks to SotS is necessary, that’s all that would need to be done.

Californian Elitist

It’s disingenuous to say that the narratives were created in the movie. They existed long long before. It’s why I’ve suggested several times that they just replace the music and change the designs of the three main characters. If removing all callbacks to SotS is necessary, that’s all that would need to be done.
The ride is still based on SotS.

LittleBuford

If you want to know my feelings on how the retheme relates to the issues you raise, you can look at my earlier posts in this thread. To summarise, I personally love the current theme and will be sad to see it go, but I also understand why the retheme is happening, think it’s the right course of action all things considered, and am remaining optimistic for the outcome.

As for this current mini-discussion, my sole point was that it is factually and demonstrably untrue that the ride’s relationship with Song of the South is limited to just using some of its characters. I’ve seen the film multiple times (I owned a copy on video as a child in the UK), so I know what I’m talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Disney4Lyfe

Am I in the wrong place? Is this about Song of the South, which probably only a handful of you have actually sat through. Or about Splash Mountain? It says in the title, attraction discussion only.

Ghost93

Am I in the wrong place? Is this about Song of the South, which probably only a handful of you have actually sat through. Or about Splash Mountain? It says in the title, attraction discussion only.
I feel like most people dedicated enough to join a Disney fan forum have managed to see Song of the South if only to see what the big deal is. It was a popular VHS bootleg and nowadays it's VERY easy to find on the Internet.

Disney4Lyfe

I think you should watch it, just so you have an informed opinion on it. Internet Archive has a rip of it for free.

I view the movie more as a "why did they do it like this" rather than "OMG these people were so racist" but I can see why people have problems with it (the valid ones, that is. Not the ones like "there's a tar baby").
No thanks! I don't need an informed opinion on a 70 year old movie. It's a product of the time it was made, and that's enough of an informed opinion for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom