News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Dear Prudence

I don't think people will care what individual journalists think, but reporters — with the aid of social media — could get Splash Mountain back into the conversation simply by reminding people of it.

While I do think the closure of Splash Mountain won't happen this year and the retheme won't be ready for several years, my point is that Disney may give a very VERY brief update in June just to remind people that they haven't forgotten the project. Similar to that concept art/roundtable chat update from August of 2021. You know, the 25 minute chat that actually revealed nothing substantial about the retheme and was just a bunch of PR fluff?
They already took the hashtags out of their bios the instant it stopped trending, they're already moved passed the [rainbow] issues. They're over it. This is why I made that complaint several pages back, they get to be done with it and throw it away when they're done, unlike people who have to live with the consequences.

Brer Oswald

Maybe there will be some news in June, to coincide with the two-year anniversary of the announcement? If Disney doesn't say anything about the retheme, a bunch of clickbaity articles will probably start asking "Whatever happened to Disney's retheme of Splash Mountain?"
Does anyone really care about these click bait articles beyond the Disney social media influencers on Twitter?

Dear Prudence

Does anyone really care about these click bait articles beyond the Disney social media influencers on Twitter?
Because monetized clickbait based on someone else's pain isn't suspect at ALL. 🙃🥴 At any rate, the weird (borderline creepy) obsession people have with this topic and using it as their leg up to champion themselves doesn't represent the vast majority of people who just do not care.

At any rate, is there even a D23 this year? I thought it wasn't yearly for some reason. Either way, when your CEO cannot even show up for the last one, I doubt we'll see updates on Splash this year for the 2nd year in a row.

Incomudro

I don't think people will care what individual journalists think, but reporters — with the aid of social media — could get Splash Mountain back into the conversation simply by reminding people of it.

While I do think the closure of Splash Mountain won't happen this year and the retheme won't be ready for several years, my point is that Disney may give a very VERY brief update in June just to remind people that they haven't forgotten the project. Similar to that concept art/roundtable chat update from August of 2021. You know, the 25 minute chat that actually revealed nothing substantial about the retheme and was just a bunch of PR fluff?
This is the unfortunate truth of life in the present age.

tanc

Realistically I think D23 is a possibility for more information but I still doubt it. Disney announced this project too early, and they can't back out of it. The publicity would be outrageous backing out on a change like this.

So now Disney is forced to spend the money to redo Splash Mountain. Quite possibly they may even offer to pay for Tokyo's in the future too. For now there's just so little information about this project that who knows what will happen.

Arguably Tokyo would be the hardest to change because not only do you have a ride, you would have to redo the quick service place attached to Splash Mountain for it to fit thematically.

Ghost93

Realistically I think D23 is a possibility for more information but I still doubt it. Disney announced this project too early, and they can't back out of it. The publicity would be outrageous backing out on a change like this.

So now Disney is forced to spend the money to redo Splash Mountain. Quite possibly they may even offer to pay for Tokyo's in the future too. For now there's just so little information about this project that who knows what will happen.

Arguably Tokyo would be the hardest to change because not only do you have a ride, you would have to redo the quick service place attached to Splash Mountain for it to fit thematically.
I doubt Disney will spend money to retheme Splash in Tokyo. While Song of the South has always been controversial in the US, the controversy is nonexistent in Japan. And since most US customers would go to either Disneyland or Magic Kingdom, I think Disney is really going to only want to focus on retheming the attraction where the attraction is controversial.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

They absolutely can back out. There is nothing dictating they must move forward with this at all. The whole thing was a knee-jerk reaction to begin with. If they announced they were building a PatF-based ride at DHS and this was cancelled, no one would bat an eyelash. If this was cancelled/never brought up again, who would care? Those who are told to be outraged?

And Tokyo isn't changing theirs.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I doubt Disney will spend money to retheme Splash in Tokyo. While Song of the South has always been controversial in the US, the controversy is nonexistent in Japan. And since most US customers would go to either Disneyland or Magic Kingdom, I think Disney is really going to only want to focus on retheming the attraction where the attraction is controversial.

Disney wouldn't spend a dime to retheme Splash in Tokyo, as they don't own the parks there.

Ghost93

They absolutely can back out. There is nothing dictating they must move forward with this at all. The whole thing was a knee-jerk reaction to begin with. If they announced they were building a PatF-based ride at DHS and this was cancelled, no one would bat an eyelash. If this was cancelled/never brought up again, who would care? Those who are told to be outraged?

Just because you desperately wish there wasn't controversy surrounding Splash Mountain doesn't mean there isn't. I would agree that before 2020 the average guest found nothing wrong with the ride, but after 2020 there was clearly enough people clamoring for a retheme and opposed to the presence of SOTS in the parks for Disney to make the change. The retheme is certainly polarizing and unpopular on this particular website, but I doubt that NO ONE would bat an eyelash.

I agree that the Tokyo Splash Mountain will probably remain untouched.

Midwest Elitist

Just because you desperately wish there wasn't controversy surrounding Splash Mountain doesn't mean there isn't. I would agree that before 2020 the average guest found nothing wrong with the ride, but after 2020 there was clearly enough people clamoring for a retheme and opposed to the presence of SOTS in the parks for Disney to make the change. The retheme is certainly polarizing and unpopular on this particular website, but I doubt that NO ONE would bat an eyelash.

The average guest still finds nothing wrong with the ride. Any polling has shown the retheme is unpopular. Sure, the terminally online residents of psycho Twitter have a problem with it and even they are starting to forget about it.

WDWJoeG

Really? Define "enough people".

Clearly the millions of people who actually go to the parks that this impacts haven't stopped coming or enjoying the attraction.

Again, it exists only in the bowels of Twitter from folks who don't even go to Disney parks anyway and Disney's DEI department.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I don't wish for no controversy because there isn't controversy. The only ones with a problem with this are the ones who have been told there's a problem with it. But please, point us to all the ties Splash Mountain has to the story of SotS. I'll wait. No one was "clamoring" to retheme this ride except a few fringe whackos (sounds familiar, given other current topics).

Oh, there are characters from SotS? That's it? And the story for the ride is completely unrelated to the movie and there is absolutely no other tie to the movie other than they pulled some characters from it? Gosh, where's my pitchfork?!?! It's amazing what can happen when you look at something with a critical eye and can discern that the ride is completely separate from the movie.

Ghost93

But please, point us to all the ties Splash Mountain has to the story of SotS. I'll wait. No one was "clamoring" to retheme this ride except a few fringe whackos (sounds familiar, given other current topics).

Oh, there are characters from SotS? That's it? And the story for the ride is completely unrelated to the movie and there is absolutely no other tie to the movie other than they pulled some characters from it? Gosh, where's my pitchfork?!?! It's amazing what can happen when you look at something with a critical eye and can discern that the ride is completely separate from the movie.
The ride stands on its own well enough that those who haven't seen the movie can get enjoyment out of it. But that doesn't mean it's "completely separate" from the movie. The songs and the characters all come from the animated portions of SOTS. The general plotline of Splash mountain is a loose adaptation of the Tar Baby story from SOTS (though the baby is replaced with a beehive).

I do think the Magic Kingdom version feels less directly inspired by SOTS than the Disneyland version. The Disneyland queue for the ride plays instrumental versions of the songs "Song of the South," "That's What Uncle Remus Said," "Sooner or Later" "Let the Rain Pour Down" and "All I Want" — which all come from the live-action portions of the movie. The Disneyland version queue also includes quotes from Uncle Remus and his fireplace. In fact, the entire namesake of Critter Country in Disneyland directly comes from the Remus quote "Where the critters are closer to the folks and the folks are closer to the critters."

The Magic Kingdom version has less overt easter eggs, but the story, characters and songs still come from the movie.

WDWJoeG

I don't wish for no controversy because there isn't controversy. The only ones with a problem with this are the ones who have been told there's a problem with it. But please, point us to all the ties Splash Mountain has to the story of SotS. I'll wait. No one was "clamoring" to retheme this ride except a few fringe whackos (sounds familiar, given other current topics).

Yup, it's the same level of "outrage" as the auction scene in Pirates.

Number of people out of the countless millions who have ever gotten off of Pirates and Splash Mountain and called a manager to complain? Zero.

And yet here we are enjoying the hysterical, witty dialogue about selling chickens (because pirates buy poultry) and auctioning off grandfather clocks (because pirates love to bid on antiques).

Disney has sadly become a complete joke.

WDWJoeG

The ride stands on its own well enough that those who haven't seen the movie can get enjoyment out of it. But that doesn't mean it's "completely separate" from the movie. The songs and the characters all come from the animated portions of SOTS. The general plotline of Splash mountain is a loose adaptation of the Tar Baby story from SOTS (though the baby is replaced with a beehive).

I do think the Magic Kingdom version feels less directly inspired by SOTS than the Disneyland version. The Disneyland queue for the ride plays instrumental versions of the songs "Song of the South," "That's What Uncle Remus Said," "Sooner or Later" "Let the Rain Pour Down" and "All I Want" — which all come from the live-action portions of the movie. The Disneyland version queue also includes quotes from Uncle Remus and his fireplace. In fact, the entire namesake of Critter Country in Disneyland directly comes from the Remus quote "Where the critters are closer to the folks and the folks are closer to the critters."

The Magic Kingdom version has less overt easter eggs, but the story, characters and songs still come from the movie.
All true. And the countless millions who actually come to the park, actually ride the ride, listen to the music, and read the quotes love it.

Only people looking for something (regardless how ridiculous) to be offended about care - and even those aren't going to the parks anyway so nooooooobody cares.

Well, to be fair, the guests certainly don't, but Disney has a department whose entire job is to find offense in the attractions and correct it - so that handful of uber woke people looking to be outraged and justify their existence in the company REALLY care!

Last edited:

doctornick

Just because you desperately wish there wasn't controversy surrounding Splash Mountain doesn't mean there isn't.

There's "controversy" over Splash Mountain to about the same extent that there is controversy over having statues of Abraham Lincoln. Just because there is an extremely small number of people who complain about something doesn't mean that has to be changed.

The vast majority of Americans in general and Disney Park attendees specifically have no problems or concerns with Splash Mountain.

A bigger and real issue is the lack of African American representation in the parks. I think that Disney would justifiably get some heat if they don't build a Tiana based attraction in the parks at some point (or another attraction with clear AA representation, but that's their big IP to use in WDW; DLR could have something Black Panther based at least). you wouldn't need to remove Splash to add Tiana to the parks in a substantial way though.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

The 20,000 people that petitioned for this will probably be angry. But the amount of those people that go to the parks are too weak minded to stop going, and the others were never going to Disney in the first place.

LittleBuford

Oh, there are characters from SotS? That's it? And the story for the ride is completely unrelated to the movie and there is absolutely no other tie to the movie other than they pulled some characters from it?
Anyone who’s seen the movie knows that Splash Mountain is heavily based on the animated sequences. It isn’t just a case of reusing some of the characters; the narratives, too, are imported into the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom