News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
@mar
Todays MiceChat Disneyland update has this little nugget, which was unexpected news to me:

“It was announced last week that Splash Mountain would be going under refurbishment on January 10th and we speculated that this could be the start of the previously announced “Princess and the Frog” overlay since there was no end date and many major Disneyland projects start just after the holiday season. But this will just be a routine 6 week refurbishment. Though, we did learn that the retheme will be delayed a while longer at Disneyland and will actually start first at Walt Disney World.
@marni1971 This true?

Midwest Elitist

I just wanted to write an essay during my lunch break (lol). So a couple things:

I'm not incredibly sad about the remake news, except for one thing: the music. I think Splash at MK has some of the best queue music in the whole resort. The country / bluegrass covers of the songs in the movie are fantastic (I love the acoustic Zip version). I would hope Disney would keep the music playing in Frontierland, but it seems like they are going full on stupid and removing all of it anyways. That's the part that hurts the most. The ride is one thing, but the music is what I truly remember. Space Mountain still has the best queue music, but Splash's is so good at setting the theme.

Another thing I hadn't realized, since I haven't been to parks in 3 years (but I will in 2 weeks :) ), the entrance to Splash Mountain is on the complete other side of the train tracks. This is kind of a theming problem, but what I think could work is if they have two versions of music again, like current Splash between DL / MK. If they actually put in the effort (we know they won't) to cover some of the PATF songs in that same bluegrassy style, that would ease the theme a bit and I can totally see how they can do that as I'm listening to the songs right now.

So they can make this work if they try, but I'm wondering how difficult it will be to basically raze all of the interiors. It's sad that us Disney nerds know so much more about this stuff in comparison to the executives who run the company, I don't think they understand fully what they are doing.

Kirby86

sounds like a terrible idea honestly, not sure how they think reception would be in a state like Florida. I would imagine it would be much more positive in California though.
That's what I thought as well since they are still playing Zip-A-Dee -Do -Dah and Laughing Place in Florida at the entrance.

Midwest Elitist

That's what I thought as well since they are still playing Zip-A-Dee -Do -Dah and Laughing Place in Florida at the entrance.
are they really? :D

I heard they took it off the Opening show, but supposedly that was because they were running B Roll as the characters aren't meet and greeting.

Basil of Baker Street

I just wanted to write an essay during my lunch break (lol). So a couple things:

I'm not incredibly sad about the remake news, except for one thing: the music. I think Splash at MK has some of the best queue music in the whole resort. The country / bluegrass covers of the songs in the movie are fantastic (I love the acoustic Zip version). I would hope Disney would keep the music playing in Frontierland, but it seems like they are going full on stupid and removing all of it anyways. That's the part that hurts the most. The ride is one thing, but the music is what I truly remember. Space Mountain still has the best queue music, but Splash's is so good at setting the theme.

Another thing I hadn't realized, since I haven't been to parks in 3 years (but I will in 2 weeks :) ), the entrance to Splash Mountain is on the complete other side of the train tracks. This is kind of a theming problem, but what I think could work is if they have two versions of music again, like current Splash between DL / MK. If they actually put in the effort (we know they won't) to cover some of the PATF songs in that same bluegrassy style, that would ease the theme a bit and I can totally see how they can do that as I'm listening to the songs right now.

So they can make this work if they try, but I'm wondering how difficult it will be to basically raze all of the interiors. It's sad that us Disney nerds know so much more about this stuff in comparison to the executives who run the company, I don't think they understand fully what they are doing.
I agree. The music is the best part.

I don't really care one way or another about a re-theme I suppose though I'd rather it stay if I had a choice. My problem is I know it won't be done right.

Kirby86

are they really? :D

I heard they took it off the Opening show, but supposedly that was because they were running B Roll as the characters aren't meet and greeting.
Last time I went in August both were playing at the entrance. I heard Zip while waiting to get on the Ferry to enter and Laughing Place on it while I was leaving.

Incomudro

Delayed I don’t know but it certainly won’t be ready this year. Or next. Or next.
Great to know!
I've finally re-booked our family trip for March '22, in place of our previous booking that we had to cancel when th epark closed due to covid.
Hard to believe that'll be close to two years ago when our trip roll around.
I'm glad Splash will still be there, so I can savor what is one more time.

LittleBuford

So when can the folks who want the retheme start complaining that disney is taking too long?
In this thread at least, most of the complaints about Disney's slowness have come (derisively) from those opposed to the retheme ("How hypocritical of Disney! They say the ride is racist yet sit on their hands and continue to operate it!"). As someone who loves the current version but also understands why the retheme is happening, I'm more than happy to let things unfold slowly. Quality, and not speed, is of the essence for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom