News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Dear Prudence

That's because of poor maintenance, which is a completely separate issue from the underlying design of the ride.

It's natural to be worried it will be diminished because it's one of the best rides Disney has ever built. Regardless of how anyone feels about the quality of rides Disney has built in recent years, it's always going to be difficult to maintain the overall quality level of this particular ride because they're replacing something that is one of the best in existence -- the IP is essentially irrelevant to that concern.

I have no problem with the retheme and completely understand why it's happening. I just don't want them to screw up the ride.
The Tokyo Disneyland version is pristine and they have comparable, more extreme weather. The maintenance on the American parks is pathetic because the company is so cheap and guests have, for whatever reason, simply accepted the gross negligence on not just Splash, but many, many attractions.

Kirby86

The Tokyo Disneyland version is pristine and they have comparable, more extreme weather. The maintenance on the American parks is pathetic because the company is so cheap and guests have, for whatever reason, simply accepted the gross negligence on not just Splash, but many, many attractions.
Agreed my go to example of this in Disneyworld is Carousel of Progress. It's the only attraction in the park that Walt personally had a hand in makeing (not counting duplicates) so you would think they would try to keep it pristine out of pride but nope. They cheap out on maintenance and run it into the ground.

LittleBuford

Lots of people just assume it will be *less*

It's currently a damp, matted fur pit with barely functioning scenes.
Show-quality issues notwithstanding, I love the current ride and still consider it very impressive. I’ll be sad to lose it. That doesn’t stop me, however, from being optimistic about the retheme, which I hope will be a worthy successor.

FantasiaMickey2000

I don't think we can count that as it is so inconsistent. They painetd Brer Bear on the wall of Disney Springs, sell the merch with those characters in the parks and resort and Disneyland just two weeks ago brought back The Brer Characters for sale on Main Street. I am not saying that it is not happening, but I would not look to those as sole reasons as there are just as many counter examples.
They removed all the Splash Mountain merchandise from the stores. They removed all the Splash Mountain artwork from the art store in Disney Springs. They removed Splash Mountain from the create your own magicband designs. I think Brer Bear sneaking his way onto one magic band is the rare exception here to many rules.

CJR

Show-quality issues notwithstanding, I love the current ride and still consider it very impressive. I’ll be sad to lose it. That doesn’t stop me, however, from being optimistic about the retheme, which I hope will be a worthy successor.

Exactly, glass half full! I see plenty of reason to believe that the people working on this care very much about doing it justice.

People working on it who have loved Splash Mountain in the past want it to live up to the quality storytelling that we've come to expect. People working on it who may not have as fond nostalgia for the current ride want to do Tiana justice. Either way, people are working hard to do this right and that makes me happy. It should be a great experience when it's all said and done.

Although, I will say that I wish Tiana had a ride with no height requirement, but it is what it is.

LittleBuford

Exactly, glass half full! I see plenty of reason to believe that the people working on this care very much about doing it justice.

People working on it who have loved Splash Mountain in the past want it to live up to the quality storytelling that we've come to expect. People working on it who may not have as fond nostalgia for the current ride want to do Tiana justice. Either way, people are working hard to do this right and that makes me happy. It should be a great experience when it's all said and done.

Although, I will say that I wish Tiana had a ride with no height requirement, but it is what it is.
Very well said!

erasure fan1

I bet they do, and I hope it works out. I just don't see the creative force that once was Disney. Maybe the talent isn't as good or the big wigs don't give enough freedom. It's probably a bit of both. Either way, past efforts just make my expectations start at Meh. And if they prove me wrong? I'll gladly eat crow.

Incomudro

I bet they do, and I hope it works out. I just don't see the creative force that once was Disney. Maybe the talent isn't as good or the big wigs don't give enough freedom. It's probably a bit of both. Either way, past efforts just make my expectations start at Meh. And if they prove me wrong? I'll gladly eat crow.

Part of the bad feeling I get is the concept drawing that still shows the briers.
I'm concerned that we'll see the bones of Splash simply painted over.
I hope I'm wrong.

Dan Deesnee

The people who matter and make the decisions think it’s needed.

Its going to happen

They announced the project while most of the company was still shut done. If money was going to stop it that would have been the the time. They aren’t bleeding money.

It’s happening. You should prepare yourself

No they haven't.

You both are wrong. They have been hurt financial in a hugely significant way. Numbers don't lie, this is not my opinion. If you say they haven't been bleeding money, well, I don't know what to tell you except that you're lying to yourself:

Revenue at Disney's parks, experiences and products segment fell 53% to $3.58 billion. Disney has reported similar losses in each of its last three earnings. In the fourth quarter, the company said the coronavirus outbreak cost it around $2.4 billion in lost operating income during its most recent period. - Feb 11, 2021
Source - https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/11/coronavirus-hurt-theme-parks-costing-disney-2point6-billion.html

I also don't think the "people who matter" think this needs to happen either (at WDW), at least not all of them. But who knows. The fact that guests are lined up every day shows that the average guest doesn't care. No mass boycotts, no mass uproar.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

The fact that guests are lined up every day shows that the average guest doesn't care. No mass boycotts, no mass uproar.
I don’t think anyone seriously thinks that the retheme is happening because of guest demands. The reaction here when the news was announced in summer 2020 was one of universal shock—no-one saw it coming. And before someone brings up the online petition that is sometimes seen as sparking all this, that was hardly significant enough to force Disney’s hand.

Kirby86

Well of course the petition wasn't what forced the company's hand. I think it's pretty simple the Disney princess brand is extremely profitable for the company and outside of meet and greets Tiana dosen't have an attraction in the parks to sell her merchandise. Splash in Disneyland is by New Orleans Square and her movie is set in New Orleans it makes sense. As a bonus it's replacing a ride that some in the company don't want around anymore because of the source material. Personally I love the current theme and will be sad to see it go but we got to hope for the best.

FantasiaMickey2000

So since we didn’t hear anything about this during D23 I assume the ride isn’t going down in 2022. It’s been a while since it’s last refurb and it shows. We thinking they are just gonna run this into the ground until closing or will we ever see another winter refurb?

GoneForGood

So since we didn’t hear anything about this during D23 I assume the ride isn’t going down in 2022. It’s been a while since it’s last refurb and it shows. We thinking they are just gonna run this into the ground until closing or will we ever see another winter refurb?
There is one site reporting that the ride will go down for Winter refurbishment in 2022. Not sure if I believe that though. Grain of salt.

GoneForGood

That is when the refurbishment typically is at any rate. As mentioned It does not mean it is the retheme. of course The water rides take such abuse.
Yep- I was shocked at how good DL's version looked back when the parks reopened. And I remember WDW got a few slight upgrades last year too. I suppose they should get it in good condition for it's last few months. (And potentially even to do minor examinations.)

For me, it'll happen when it happens. I just want more detailed information on the kind of experience we're going to get. The time it's taking for more information alone (If Disney is being honest they've had two years in the works). is one of the things that worries me. But I guess it's just going to take some time. I take a glance at the blueprints for both coasts for ideas on how the overlay would go. And considering said blueprints/ the space and layout, it makes sense why it'll take some time. If that's a good or bad thing, time will tell.

Not super enthused but I am trying to be less negative.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
@marni1971 Is Splash going for its annual refurb?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You both are wrong. They have been hurt financial in a hugely significant way. Numbers don't lie, this is not my opinion. If you say they haven't been bleeding money, well, I don't know what to tell you except that you're lying to yourself:

Revenue at Disney's parks, experiences and products segment fell 53% to $3.58 billion. Disney has reported similar losses in each of its last three earnings. In the fourth quarter, the company said the coronavirus outbreak cost it around $2.4 billion in lost operating income during its most recent period. - Feb 11, 2021
Source - https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/11/coronavirus-hurt-theme-parks-costing-disney-2point6-billion.html

I also don't think the "people who matter" think this needs to happen either (at WDW), at least not all of them. But who knows. The fact that guests are lined up every day shows that the average guest doesn't care. No mass boycotts, no mass uproar.

You said "bleeding money." What did you mean by that. The analogy implies dying, because that's what happens when you bleed out. The use of that phrase applied to finances is to indicate that they're in deficit spending, which the last quarterly reports shows they are not.

peter11435

That’s nearly a year old.

There’s a huge difference between not making as much money and bleeding money.

I’m not lying to myself. I have a very good understanding of the companies finances.

And yes, the “people who matter” think this needs to happen. They are the ones who set this in motion in the first place

Fido Chuckwagon

I don't think it's entirely that.

Some people just don't have faith that Disney will build something even remotely comparable in overall quality and so they're wary about a chance. I'm among that group -- I think Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah is one of Disney's absolute best songs, but outside of that, there's no real loss from changing the IP and I don't care about that aspect of it. I just don't want it to become a lesser ride, and I think that's what we are likely to get.

Regardless, it's definitely happening.
Chapek’s Disney? I wouldn’t put it past them to literally just repaint the animatronics and put in a new song and make no other changes whatsoever. Why does Dr. Facilier look like a bear and why does Tiana have a bunny ear hat on? Well, you see, that’s part of our new great story!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom