News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Dear Prudence

Thanks! Do you know how I might find it on Google? I tried searching and got nowhere with the keywords I was using.
An update on this: it's not even a mural, as previously reported. It's a piece of art in one of the galleries in Disney Springs, which is a moderate size, which is why some of us (myself included) misremembered it as a mural. Regardless of this fact, it was supposed to be for characters pre-dating 2000; replacing the Brer with Tiana relegates her to the bottom of the painting, away from the other princess, and not surrounded by other human characters. There are other characters from the time frame they could have chosen instead of giving Tiana the position of a sloppy tacked-on afterthought. Or, better yet, just give her her own beautiful pieces.

celluloid

But this is purely made up. The remodelled entrance at the Polynesian has nothing to do with an inclusivity agenda, nor has it resulted in the resort looking “more Polynesian than what was before it”; on the contrary, wood textures have been replaced by metal and concrete.
Exactly. The first sentence of this post sums up the issue with the executive level. Shouldn't it though?
And read it again and see that the same goes for all of the current changes that could deal with culture representation, but instead every choice whether in the name of has taken away the quality standards. If not it is a we are planning this enough to brag on it before we do it.

If Disney is only going to be more inclusive when they are pushing it publicly at events and blogs...
It was announced as a key of the company. So we should expect to have it not only count randomly?

The evidence remains. jungle Cruise's show quality was diminished because the sign that put inclusiveness in the queue was more important than the excellently designed mural that was there.
Most seem to feel the pirate auction scene is muddled and things like the artwork on the previous page at Disney Springs lost it's purpose of being the timeline of characters.

You do not have to agree of course, but supporting evidence has been provided with that poster's claim.

TomboyJanet

You may be surprised to find that I am not in favor of this retheme despite being politically left. 1. If these stories are indeed oral traditional stories told by enslaved African people, You are indeed snuffing them out with a very European origin story despite the racial swap of characters. I always saw Song of the South as misinterpreted. Yes It was about a sharecropper (not a slave) telling stories to rich white kids, but he was a good guy, Like It's not like they portrayed him as being stupid or ignorant. He was the one telling the fables with the morals. I think a lot of people who criticize it have not seen it, and I've seen it three times and still can't figure out why it's blown up to be this big huge scary thing. This is a piece of African American History, collected by Harris and thus allowing it to survive, regaurdless of who he really was (I don't know a lot about his actual character personally) Why would you want to bury it all?

And I can just see this retheme be another Ride with drops that has no conflict. If a ride has drops......It means there's danger!!! Go with it!!! It's not dancing around the snow!!! FROZEN EVER AFTER I'm looking at you!!

LittleBuford

LittleBuford

An update on this: it's not even a mural, as previously reported. It's a piece of art in one of the galleries in Disney Springs, which is a moderate size, which is why some of us (myself included) misremembered it as a mural. Regardless of this fact, it was supposed to be for characters pre-dating 2000; replacing the Brer with Tiana relegates her to the bottom of the painting, away from the other princess, and not surrounded by other human characters. There are other characters from the time frame they could have chosen instead of giving Tiana the position of a sloppy tacked-on afterthought. Or, better yet, just give her her own beautiful pieces.
Thanks for this update. Do you have an image of the whole thing to share?

Dear Prudence

Thanks for this update. Do you have an image of the whole thing to share?

I saved a screen cap from someone's Instagram stories this morning, but cropped out their name for their privacy.

here we go:
257523053_437440634618192_5327076980910773282_n.jpg

Also, the sword and the stone characters are there now (unsure if they were before, but at least it means Tiana isn't completely isolated from other human characters, and Toad was moved instead of being replaced.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I saved a screen cap from someone's Instagram stories this morning, but cropped out their name for their privacy.

here we go:
View attachment 601504
Also, the sword and the stone characters are there now (unsure if they were before, but at least it means Tiana isn't completely isolated from other human characters, and Toad was moved instead of being replaced.
Uh oh, King Louie is still there. Time to burn it at the stake /s

Dear Prudence

You may be surprised to find that I am not in favor of this retheme despite being politically left. 1. If these stories are indeed oral traditional stories told by enslaved African people, You are indeed snuffing them out with a very European origin story despite the racial swap of characters. I always saw Song of the South as misinterpreted. Yes It was about a sharecropper (not a slave) telling stories to rich white kids, but he was a good guy, Like It's not like they portrayed him as being stupid or ignorant. He was the one telling the fables with the morals. I think a lot of people who criticize it have not seen it, and I've seen it three times and still can't figure out why it's blown up to be this big huge scary thing. This is a piece of African American History, collected by Harris and thus allowing it to survive, regaurdless of who he really was (I don't know a lot about his actual character personally) Why would you want to bury it all?

And I can just see this retheme be another Ride with drops that has no conflict. If a ride has drops......It means there's danger!!! Go with it!!! It's not dancing around the snow!!! FROZEN EVER AFTER I'm looking at you!!
This has been gone over several times throughout these threads, but it boils down largely to greed. I know, I know, the "corporations, corporate America, blah blah blah" comments (always pointed out like we aren't keenly aware of this? ). BIPOC in both of the Splash threads (myself included) have expressed mostly sadness--that our culture and oral literature can be cheapened and ruined beyond repair by misuse, and then thrown away when they're done for it, for their next lucrative shiny. Using BIPOC pain for one's own clout points on the internet is, by far, the absolute strangest and creepiest Not Like Other Girls energy that has come out of the last year and a half, and it doesn't come from an authentic place (and it's painfully obvious).

I am not for or against anything, because what a mega-corporation does with its own parks isn't really any of my business, but I will say that neither SOTS nor PATF were made with anything but a certain lens that has nothing to do with the protagonists of their films. I think they're going to have to deal with that the closer we get to the retheme's opening, because the contemporary criticism of 2009 is going to come back with a 2021-2022 vision that's finally catching up, and I think it's going to show that bandaid solutions don't actually solve problems.

UNCgolf

here we go:
View attachment 601504

The fact that it's a unique (I assume) piece of art for sale makes the repainting far more questionable than if it was a permanent installation on Disney property.

If the artist wanted the opportunity to repaint it, that's one thing, but if Disney demanded it, I'm much less comfortable with that (under these specific circumstances -- again, it would be different if this was permanently installed somewhere on Disney property). Let artists decide what to do with their art.

Last edited:

Kirby86

I'm more offended that Winnie the Pooh isn't in that painting. Anyway in the touch-up Tiana would have been better if she was up by Aladdin and the other 90s characters. But since they were just added to cover up the Brer characters what can you do?

LittleBuford

here we go:
View attachment 601504
Thanks. Given that it’s a commercial art piece, it may well have been the artist themselves who decided to modify it (I can’t make out their signature to determine their identity).

Dear Prudence

The fact that it's a unique (I assume) piece of art for sale makes the repainting far more questionable than if it was a permanent installation on Disney property.

If the artist wanted the opportunity to repaint it, that's one thing, but if Disney demanded it, I'm much less comfortable with that (under these specific circumstances -- again, it would be different if this was permanently installed somewhere on Disney property). Let artists decide what to do with their art.
If I can be honest, and this is no shade towards the artist and their abilities, but this piece is just awkward, period. I think think it's as executed as well as I think it's supposed to--the concept is there, but it just...doesn't land. It's too similar to those magic-eye picture books of the 90's for my tastes. The original artist re-signed it. Nothing about this really makes that much sense, but nothing that Disney has done in regards to the Splash changes has been anything but floundering and blundering haplessly. The rides are still open on both coasts and they sell things with the characters on them. It's just the most bizarre gaslighting.

LittleBuford

If I can be honest, and this is no shade towards the artist and their abilities, but this piece is just awkward, period. I think think it's as executed as well as I think it's supposed to--the concept is there, but it just...doesn't land. It's too similar to those magic-eye picture books of the 90's for my tastes. The original artist re-signed it. Nothing about this really makes that much sense, but nothing that Disney has done in regards to the Splash changes has been anything but floundering and blundering haplessly. The rides are still open on both coasts and they sell things with the characters on them. It's just the most bizarre gaslighting.
Do you know who the artist is? I can’t read the signature or label in the image you shared.

Dear Prudence

Do you know who the artist is? I can’t read the signature or label in the image you shared.
Through some very serious sleuthing (and using one of those 3rd party apps to download the Instagram story image at a higher resolution that isn't just a screencap, the painting is called 'Mickey Floral' by K3nny Y@m@d@ ( I've written the name stylized so it doesn't come up in Google searches) and retails for about $300. You can find copies of the original version of the painting in print form on Poshmark and eBay, and they're 18 x 14 inches. The original piece is from 2020.

I just don't know at what point in 2020. :/

LittleBuford

Kenny Yamada.
Through some very serious sleuthing (and using one of those 3rd party apps to download the Instagram story image at a higher resolution that isn't just a screencap, the painting is called 'Mickey Floral' by K3nny Y@m@d@ ( I've written the name stylized so it doesn't come up in Google searches) and retails for about $300. You can find copies of the original version of the painting in print form on Poshmark and eBay, and they're 18 x 14 inches. The original piece is from 2020.

I just don't know at what point in 2020. :/
Thank you both!

Dear Prudence

Thanks. Given that it’s a commercial art piece, it may well have been the artist themselves who decided to modify it (I can’t make out their signature to determine their identity).
It looks like the artist has made a bunch of art with the Brer Characters/ Splash Mountain themed. I also cannot imagine that those who do formal art for Disney like that have very much control over their own work in that regard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom