News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

UNCgolf

I am not saying it cannot make sense I just wanted to clarify. It was given the nickname splash mountain in story and before that in marketing the same way Space Mountain is a nickname that started it all. It is all the art of naming. The same way Big Thunder Mountain is a nickname given by the locals because it rolls thunderous sounds from explosions and earthquakes, not because it is thunder. Splash Mountain is the ride's name because of the critter's naming the infamous chickapin hill.

To your other point. Ga has, Stone Mountian and large rolling hills.

Stone Mountain isn't really a mountain (it's just a giant rock), but northern Georgia does have actual mountains (which are much bigger than Stone Mountain). Louisiana doesn't really have any mountains.

Regardless, the Brer stories don't take place in the Georgia mountains, so it's a moot point.

celluloid

Stone Mountain isn't really a mountain (it's just a giant rock), but northern Georgia does have actual mountains (which are much bigger than Stone Mountain). Louisiana doesn't really have any mountains.

Regardless, the Brer stories don't take place in the Georgia mountains, so it's a moot point.

Yes, The Stone Mountain concept of naming is actually a great example. Not really a mountain, but to most people it is mountainous. The same way Chickapin Hill is to the "locals" It is literally within the ride's storytelling of chickapin hill flooding and being known as Splash Mountain. People can critique its worth, but it is there in the ride's story.

Thunder Mountain is actually a series of canyons formed rock spires. Yet in story it is called a mountain.

Space Mountian is a space port of sorts, but since it is a large dome it can be known as Space Mountian.

Disney's rides themed to actual mountains don't ever actually seem to be known as Mountains in the name other than Everest's subtitle. (and it is not even Everest but a smaller formation in the foreground)

It is almost like that was Disney's joke and tradition with every mountainous magic kingdom ride post Matterhorn.

LittleBuford

They've spent the entire 50th anniversary.... disaster celebration pretending that it doesn't exist. :/
How is it being treated any differently from other rides in the context of the 50th? Is Space Mountain, for instance, being celebrated and highlighted in a way that Splash Mountain isn’t?

Dan Deesnee

I am pretty sure with Chepak going over budget on Harmonious, this will never come to fruition. LOL

No no no, Disney parks are doing fine financially...😂

My bet is still that this happens in Disneyland only and they announce a stand alone Princess and the Frog attraction for WDW. Maybe in Animal Kingdom? Cheapek wants IP everywhere and the movie is loaded with animals. If I had a very tiny brain, putting it in Animal Kingdom would make perfect sense...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They've spent the entire 50th anniversary.... disaster celebration pretending that it doesn't exist. :/
They're not mentioning all 29 rides and some dozen entertainment attractions every chance they get. Lack of mentioning them isn't intentional disavowal. There's been no 50th advertisement for the Tiki Room or Tom Sawyer Island.

I understand people not liking the retheme. I don't understand people making up gotcha! points as if that will stop the retheme. The "gotchas" we've heard so far are pretty weak sauce if not outrightly false.

celluloid

I imagine it is easy to presume Disney was at the angle of no longer condoning Splash Mountain due to all of the other less debatable content produced having the "It was wrong then, and it was wrong now." If they can put that kind of disclaimer on Three Cab or Peter Pan, than it would be expected that they feel at least that about Song of the South's inspired attraction.

I think it is more of that and Disney choosing what to go more towards when something is making money vs anyone doing "gotchas."

FantasiaMickey2000

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Disney has explicitly disavowed, or would explicitly disavow, Splash Mountain in its current form. They've been very careful in how they've framed the retheme, presenting it as a positive development but never outright condemning or criticising what's there now.
Chapek outright condemned it more or less.

LittleBuford

Chapek outright condemned it more or less.

OK, fair enough, but the ride remains open and is still officially acknowledged. No attempt has been made to scrub it from people’s consciousness, contrary to what some of the posts here have claimed. Here’s the WDW website:

celluloid

Kirby86

I think there in lies the interesting and confusing thing for many. You are not condemning something if you are still accepting making money off it.
I bet they are debating on makeing more Splash Merchandise since right now that's money being left on the table. Disney loves the almighty Dollar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom