News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

JohnD

Among all of the other mentioned things that make WDW a more immersive ride are the, extended queue area, the playground themed to the characters that allow people who do not wish to ride and too short to ride a place to play, the train tunnel and the kinetic energy provided by the train station on the overhanging level and the fact that you can look and see the log from the first lift through the cavern tunnel openings. Also, the logs being larger appearing as double bound logs allow for increased seating capacity and arguably far more comfortable.

Hope it's still open in October so I can ride in one last time just to appreciate it for the immersive attraction that it is.

celluloid

Hope it's still open in October so I can ride in one last time just to appreciate it for the immersive attraction that it is.

I think you will be safe for This October. They don't want to hurt attendence limits and where they just settled upon the theme last year, there is likely not much physical work going on yet.

JohnD

I think you will be safe for This October. They don't want to hurt attendence limits and where they just settled upon the theme last year, there is likely not much physical work going on yet.

Okay, thanks. When re-themed, I hope the imagineers have immersion at the forefront of their minds. I really want to "believe" I'm in a Louisiana bayou among frogs, alligators, etc.

Haymarket2008

Single row seating in Disneyland vs side by side seating in WDW. You generally get more wet on California's version. Having said that, it's an overall vibe of the attraction. For me, WDW just feels like version 2.0.

It is significantly more coherent of a story in Florida. Also the character design is amazingly different between versions (WDW actually looks like the characters they were based off of, DL’s looks....off.) In WDW it seems like they are telling a point to point story, in DL it is the Song of the South characters existing among retired animatronics with a vague storyline. Imho, Splash Mountain at DL is one of the most inferior experiences in the entire park. At least, compared to WDW.

Sir_Cliff

The rockwork and overall environment detail is more elaborate at WDW. It's difficult to explain without just comparing side by side yourself.

The interior scenes are very different environments. DL's ride takes place in a darker swamp-like environment. The ceiling is covered with what appears to be hanging weeping willow foliage. The walls are largely not visible, blacked out and obscured. The ride itself is smaller and more narrow, affecting the general size of the scenes. The interior scenes following the first drop are more grouped together into a single room.

WDW's interior scenes take place on a river traveling along what appears to be the edge of a forest. No longer a swamp, but a bright countryside with farmland, rolling hills and blue skies in the background. A bit more like the animated scenes from the movie. The foliage above is no longer willows, but maple leaves (this difference even applies to the Riverboat finale). The scenes have more depth and detail, particularly in the background. A handful of these scenes use some really beautifully designed physical forced perspective scenery. Layered rolling hills and farmland with scattered trees. The walls are now used as a backdrop for brightly lit murals of blue skies and clouds. These first handful of scenes are more spread out and separated from one another.

splash-mountain-gallery04.jpg

Disneyland has a few more animatronics than WDW, though WDW has a handful of different figures of its own, some with more advanced motion (such as the hopping rabbit). There's more of an emphasis on Brer Rabbit, Fox and Bear and their plot progression. The trio also have vastly better designs, looking more like their animated counterparts from the film.

The music is also a bit different. Mostly the same songs, but played as different genres. DL is more jazzy, whereas WDW's sounds more like country/bluegrass. Disneyland also has an exclusive vocal version of the Burrow's Lament song in the Laughing Place that doesn't exist at WDW (still played instrumentally but not sung).
Thanks for a great rundown of the differences and I agree that WDW definitely has the better Splash Mountain in every respect except maintenance. I always enjoyed the MK version better, but maybe in the past decade or so the DL version has looked so more well-kept with more figures working and every AA looking as if it had been shampooed and blowdried the evening before. MK's, on the other hand, has become very rough around the edges.

JohnD

So Splash Mountain has now been drained at WDW. Refurb? Cleaning? Something more?

https:///2020/07/disney-world-splas...ail&utm_term=0_a98380eccc-50f1bf58ac-88910963

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
In a way it makes sense to shutter MK's Splash first because it is going to require more work to change it over to PatF vs Disneyland's Splash. Of course, this could just be a cost-saving measure while attendance is low. (if the latter, should we be looking at Kali River Rapids next?) A refurb possibly but it seems out of character especially if their aim is to gut and replace later. Interesting development.

Was hoping to get last rides in. But now not so sure. :/

Last edited:

JohnD

In a way it makes sense to shutter MK's Splash first because it is going to require more work to change it over to PatF vs Disneyland's Splash. Of course, this could just be a cost-saving measure while attendance is low. (if the later, should we be looking at Kali River Rapids next?) A refurb possibly but it seems out of character especially if there aim is to gut it later. Interesting development.

Was hoping to get last rides in. But now not so sure. :/

I'm hoping it doesn't get the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea treatment. One day it shuts down. It never re-opens...until it's themed as Princess and the Frog. However, I would rather they announce an official closure date (farther out) of the current Splash Mountain so that fans have the chance to ride it in its current incarnation.

JohnD

It's probably going to be a while before we get the Tiana ride. Because Disney will want to milk the Splash craze for as much as it can.

I hope you're right. I'll just say this. Don't discount the political climate they are maneuvering in. There may be a lot of pressure to shutter the ride now. Personally, I would rather they "milk" Splash Mountain for as long as possible, as you say.

MickeyMouse10

If it's shutdown than they'll just let it rot for 3-4 years like they did with Stitch. Disney loves taking their sweetass time with things so the parkgoers foot the bill.

It seems like they only move fast when a hotels involved. Because they don't make money off of that until it's opened.

TYOTimer

So Splash Mountain has now been drained at WDW. Refurb? Cleaning? Something more?

https:///2020/07/disney-world-splas...ail&utm_term=0_a98380eccc-50f1bf58ac-88910963

From what I’ve heard and seen, the ride had a lift hill motor go out Sunday afternoon, and there was work being done on the main lift hill yesterday. More or less a breakdown.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom