News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Surferboy567

The timeline I gave earlier is still the best information I have. DLR first, maybe this year, maybe next year. WDW MK version to follow, but maybe not even until after DLR's is complete. This is way down the road. Tokyo's version is not changing unless they pull a Dan Snyder.

By the way, I have a bit more resolution on how all of this came to be, and I'll be putting that together in a new thread in the future. But just to clue you into why they announced something with dubious planning and no short term plan to implement as the public might have believed... this essentially came down to a committee making a recommendation for a blue sky doc being adopted, and then top of the top making the call to go with it out of fear that a boycott movement could happen against Disney+. That's likewise why they hurriedly signed a former pro athlete to a Disney Plus content production contract - to avoid a Disney+ boycott that could be tremendously painful for the company at this time.

Very interesting

_caleb

The fact that Disney continues to fear boycotts (by one subset of our population over potential subscribers) over what their long-time theme park guests prefer/have loved for years really scares me for the future (as a theme park guest/fan). Maybe we need to hope Disney divests itself of the parks to OLC!
What makes you think that potential boycotters are not also long-time theme park guests/subscribers?

spresso81

What makes you think that potential boycotters are not also long-time theme park guests/subscribers?

They may be but that is another subset of a subset.

Disney used to try to appeal to the entire family and as many people as possible. No smaller and smaller subsets of people.

also to clarify I am fine with the Colin K. Hiring for content as it may be interesting. I would rather that signing be more for the content itself than to avoid a boycott.

Ravenclaw78

They may be but that is another subset of a subset.

Disney used to try to appeal to the entire family and as many people as possible. No smaller and smaller subsets of people.

also to clarify I am fine with the Colin K. Hiring for content as it may be interesting. I would rather that signing be more for the content itself than to avoid a boycott.
The idea that Disney hired him to avoid a boycott is ludicrous. Nobody (very likely literally, but the Internet is too big to say for sure) was threatening to boycott Disney+ if they didn't create a show for him out of thin air.

spresso81

The idea that Disney hired him to avoid a boycott is ludicrous. Nobody (very likely literally, but the Internet is too big to say for sure) was threatening to boycott Disney+ if they didn't create a show for him out of thin air.

I may agree with you I was just replying to WDWpros post

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
World.PNG

This works. Before there was "Based on characters from SOTS" but now it just says the characters and plot

Brer Oswald

View attachment 483891
This works. Before there was "Based on characters from SOTS" but now it just says the characters and plot
Is “colourful southern bayou” a new line? Regardless, it’s inaccurate. There are currently no Bayous in the Florida version. Well, at least not in the typical sense, like you see in Disneyland Splash or PatF.

Which brings up my other question. Are they going to spend big bucks changing the sets to match closer to the Disneyland version? Or are they just going to reuse the sunny, southern farm-like animal village, and just pretend it’s a bayou?

GimpYancIent

I do agree with this one. Though I think there are some natural Target market limits, as a child of the 90s I’ve underestimated how much SOTS has left the mainstream consciousness for younger generations.

As an example I spoke with yet another “informal focus groups” at a socially distanced family bbq yesterday that included my 8 year old godchild and 4 year old cousin (both girls who are princess fans).

Needless to say it was a very compelling conversation of course. However my godchild who had a traumatic experience on Splash Mohntain before (about 2 years ago) was excited about the change as a fan of P&TF. However, when explaining to her this was still the same splash mountain with drops, etc. she was a bit disappointed and unsure if she’d try it out again (though I’m sure that’ll change with age).

The 4 year old likes Princess Tiana but is not tall enough to go on it. Both the 4 and 8 year old LOVE Pirates of the Caribbean, Mansion, Peter Pan, etc. Their thrill seeking older siblings (high school age teenagers) had also never heard of the original SOTS but really didn’t seem to care much for P&TF either. As long as the drops stayed, they’re happy.
Disney parks are supposed to constantly change with the times, at least that was the original concept. The guests enjoy the ride itself, the rest is dressing to appeal to the audience. The current crowd would be more readily familiar with the Princess and Frog story.

dig311dug

Disney parks are supposed to constantly change with the times, at least that was the original concept. The guests enjoy the ride itself, the rest is dressing to appeal to the audience. The current crowd would be more readily familiar with the Princess and Frog story.
There are plenty of attractions across the four gates that need updating much sooner than splash...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom