News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.

lentesta

Premium Member
Not that they asked me, but I feel like they could annex Splash/PatF into a new subland themed to New Orleans and Caribbean with a new restaurant in Pecos and Pirates (which in some ways feels a bit separate from rest of Adventureland .... Maybe build up that boardwalk walkway to me a more substantial path into the Big Thunder area

View attachment 643213

An annex of Splash and POTC into a proto-New Orleans Square would work for me. I could get behind this idea.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Phil12

I love this idea. Set it in a tranquil area that feels like the bayou - a swamp, even. It could be so beautiful you could set up a New Orleans' themed indoor restaurant overlooking the queue and ride start. Then, through some unclear method, the guests are transported back in time to the proper time setting.
That's where Stitch comes in with his time machine surfboard:
1654285355424.png

Smiley/OCD

Something a bit strange about this.

This is an ABC produced show, and they have even chosen to make this a clip on their YouTube page. Watching the video, she also seems to be aware of what she can and can't say.

Was this perhaps prearranged?

Yeah, she’s riding GotG 8 times in a row…that statement should’ve set the bells off…I think TWDC needs to hire a PR person who’s an expert at walking statements back…from Orlando, just about 850 miles due north

britain

1920's Tiana will fit into 1880's Frontierland just as well as 1850's Lincoln fits into Disneyland's 1900's Main Street.

And just as well as 1700's PotC fits inside 1920's New Orleans Square.

And honestly, just as well as 1850's (judging by the cast members clothing) Haunted Mansion fits inside 1780's Liberty Square.

Because these themes are LAUNCHING POINTS, not zones with hard and fast restrictions.

britain

An annex of Splash and POTC into a proto-New Orleans Square would work for me. I could get behind this idea.

They're going to SAY they'll make a mini-New Orleans Square, but they'll end up just putting New Orleans-ish signage on the exit buildings/restrooms/giftshop. They'll call the whole the northern exterior queue area their NEW New Orleans Square.

J4546

I vote a large NO square north of haunted mansion, on the rivers of America and with its own rail road station. Will need to redo the HM que to get there

Sir_Cliff

I still stand by this sketch I did summer 2020, suggesting that the Splash queue and exit area beyond the Railroad Tracks be redressed as a mini New Orleans courtyard with a walk-up Beignet Window and Tiana's Palace sit-down restaurant built where the current restrooms are:

View attachment 643196
This has always seemed like the most logical solution to me: just make the area beyond the train track a mini-New Orleans area.

Converting Pecos Bill's to Tiana's Place just seems to make the thematic inconsistency worse. With this option, I don't really think it would be an issue at all.

Dear Prudence

britain

I still stand by this sketch I did summer 2020, suggesting that the Splash queue and exit area beyond the Railroad Tracks be redressed as a mini New Orleans courtyard with a walk-up Beignet Window and Tiana's Palace sit-down restaurant built where the current restrooms are:

View attachment 643196

This seems like a very inspired, high-quality solution that they won’t come close to executing well.

RSoxNo1

The last I heard was that DLR's re-do was fairly straightforward. The Splash part of Critter Country would be annexed to New Orleans Square, with no theme or chronological concerns. I think Disneyland's pretty easy.

Last fall, I'd heard WDI was still struggling with the chronology problem in WDW, since Frontierland has a definitive end to its timeline, which I think its roughly 1790-1895. That's at least ~25 years before the events in PATF, which is a faily large gap in both time and in the definition of the US "frontier".

The proposals I was aware of last fall included:
  1. Build the PATF ride with Tiana and alter Frontierland to include 1920's New Orleans
  2. Build the PATF "prequel" ride without Tiana but with other characters from the film
  3. Let Tiana take over Pecos Bill's and make it Tiana's Palace
There are pretty clear issues with all three. There might be other alternatives by now.

WDI has shown with GOTG and now Batuu that existing themes, timelines, and canon aren't barriers to putting in any ride in any location. It's possible they take option #1. I think the reason why options 2 and 3 exist is that enough people in WDI saw the problems with #1, that they were looking for a compromise everyone could live with.

I mean, if option #1 is taken, it means Frontierland includes everything in US history from the Lewis & Clark expedition to the end of World War I, the formation of the League of Nations, and almost up to the Great Depression. Everything from canoes to airplane travel, to the earliest helicopters, is fair game. The first half of Tomorrowland's Carousel of Progress would fit into Frontierland's chronology.

I think WDI recognizes the issues with this, hence this is why we've not heard more about it.

If the next Disney update on PATF focuses only on Disneyland, that would be an indication that WDW's Frontierland timeline remains an issue within WDI.
My suggestion was to rename Liberty Square and the corresponding stretch to Princess and the Frog as "Riverfront Square" and lean into life along the Rivers of America / The Mississippi River. Do away with timelines, Splash technically disrupted those timelines already.

TheMaxRebo

My suggestion was to rename Liberty Square and the corresponding stretch to Princess and the Frog as "Riverfront Square" and lean into life along the Rivers of America / The Mississippi River. Do away with timelines, Splash technically disrupted those timelines already.

I like that idea a lot - still same general theme (historical America) but less restrictive

And Splash messes with the geography too a bit as it goes East to West (ending at Big Thunder out West) but the stories from Splash are set in Georgia (or at least SotS was)

yensidtlaw1969

That is really well done, both as a standalone piece of art and as an executed concept. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you! Had Disney put me on the payroll I would have put more into both 😅

It seems like the simplest and most effective way to keep the new IP from sowing thematic discord in Frontierland is to take advantage of the physical barrier that the train already provides. That the ride enters and exits there already (AND that the area has some slight room for expansion) makes it only more natural.

The main drag of Frontierland can remain basically as it is, and Tiana can get a whole celebratory area that allows for immersion in her story and the opportunity to let guests get a taste of her food.

Frankly, it seems so obvious to me that the only reason I doubt Disney would do it is that I'm not sure how much money they're looking to invest in this situation.

yensidtlaw1969

You'd think the opportunity to add another high prices restaurant and large gift shop would be motivation to increase the budget a tad
You'd think. And who knows, perhaps it will be.

A table service Tiana's Palace would almost certainly become one of the hottest reservations on property. Throw in some live jazz music, appearances by Tiana and Louis, a big picture window along the back with "waterfront" views . . . something like that would print money.

Animaniac93-98

You'd think. And who knows, perhaps it will be.

A table service Tiana's Palace would almost certainly become one of the hottest reservations on property. Throw in some live jazz music, appearances by Tiana and Louis, a big picture window along the back with "waterfront" views . . . something like that would print money.

So would a Star Wars table service restaurant.

And yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom