News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I would prefer if they would make the ride more wetter. Drench the guests at the drop. Add more water effects.

Also, listening to the soundtrack of the movie, it really fits the ride especially the "rolling down the bayou" song.
Who wants to spend their day at MK soaking wet? No thanks!

There were also safety issues with that, which led to people trying to get out of the log. I doubt we will see it turn into a super soaker.

lazyboy97o

I wonder about the state of the AAs, ride system, building, etc. @lazyboy97o mentioned on the previous thread that those will all likely need attention (and eat into the meager budget for the actual retheme).
I think it is safe to say the $50 million figure being thrown around is bunk. Based on comments from Disney it seems this project is not much more than a Blue Sky design and may not even have a budget at this time. Even then, such a figure is comically less than anything in recent years. This would be less than Frozen Ever After (although people seem to adore its emptiness).

Maintenance woes of both attractions is well known, discussed and documented. Great effort is made with a typical building to keep water out because it rots away at stuff and encourages the growth of mold and mildew. The nature of a building that has been full of water for 30 years is that it will have these issues and it will have them in places you cannot see until you start knocking down walls.

Giss Neric

There were also safety issues with that, which led to people trying to get out of the log. I doubt we will see it turn into a super soaker.
Just personal preference. Maybe that's why I like the water rides of Universal cause they don't skimp on the wet part. I actually tease anyone I know who are afraid to get wet gremlins.

Sir_Cliff

This came up in the other thread, but I really struggle to see Disney spending the money that re-theming Splash Mountain at the same level would cost today. The budget for attractions has skyrocketed in recent years and Disney is announcing this in the midst of a new era of reduced attendance, huge losses, and belt-tightening. I struggle to imagine they'll happily throw a couple of hundred million dollars into a project like this that, let's face it, will produce little if any ROI considering they're replacing one of the parks' most popular rides and hoping the new one will remain as popular.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

Haha! I think I need another cup of coffee. After reading your comment I immediately thought what safety issues would be at play and mold and flooding came to mind. I laugh because in that same brief thought a solution sprung to my mind of putting a hole in the bottom of the boat so it drains rapidly. Genius! :facepalm:

I also prefer super-soaker water rides. It should be implied! I don't understand the whine there... one should expect to get wet. In the FL heat especially, the issue evaporates rather quickly.

I wonder!? Can they crank up the soakage or dial it down depending on time of year?

peter11435

I would say that given the circumstances around Splash Mountains removal and the IP that is replacing it, they know if they are going to do this they need to do it right or they will face a PR nightmare worse than If had they left everything alone. I think it will ultimately receive a healthy budget at the expense of other projects.

WDW Pro

I would say that given the circumstances around Splash Mountains removal and the IP that is replacing it, they know if they are going to do this they need to do it right or they will face a PR nightmare worse than If had they left everything alone. I think it will ultimately receive a healthy budget at the expense of other projects.

Dreamfinder says hello.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I’ve said pretty much the same thing.

_caleb

I think it is safe to say the $50 million figure being thrown around is bunk. Based on comments from Disney it seems this project is not much more than a Blue Sky design and may not even have a budget at this time. Even then, such a figure is comically less than anything in recent years. This would be less than Frozen Ever After (although people seem to adore its emptiness).

Maintenance woes of both attractions is well known, discussed and documented. Great effort is made with a typical building to keep water out because it rots away at stuff and encourages the growth of mold and mildew. The nature of a building that has been full of water for 30 years is that it will have these issues and it will have them in places you cannot see until you start knocking down walls.
Thanks, I wondered about that $50M figure.

Goofy213

Just a couple thoughts. Could the walkway between Pirates and Splash be rethemed with store fronts (ex: Grand Ave)? This way they can blend into a New Orleans area of the park? Seems like Disneyland did the samething some odd 50 years ago. I would also expect the exterior of the mountain to be heavily rethemed to some sort of bayou. Regrettably, if my memory recalls, Splash just went through a length refurb. Finally is there any chance that they could at least save Zippity Doo Dah in the final celebration scene? This wouldn't be to hard to do, just have the new characters sing it. The real tragedy of losing this version of Splash would be losing this iconic song.

MickeyMouse10

They are probably going to replace the animatronics with those lousy new ones with projections. Like they have on "Frozen Ever After", "7 Dwarves" and "Mickey's Runaway Railway". I can't stand those versions, they just look cheap and unrealistic.

If not those ones than they'll just have 1 animatronic that breaks down all the time (Everest and Nav'i River).

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Disney's M.O. has always been promise big and gut the budget later. If they could do SWGE on the cheap, then there's no reason to think they would not do the same here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom