News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

CJR

this makes it seem like they are not changing the name? Like this is all so clumsy, they are a mess.

Could always be something like Tiana's Adventure through Splash Mountain or Splash Mountain and the Frog. You join her and the gang as they adventure through the mountain in order to get to their mardi gras event.

If they keep Splash Mountain in the name, and Chapek were to name it, it would be something original like Princess and the Frog Splash Mountain.

I personally will be surprised though if it's still called Splash Mountain, but I would love it if the name at least stuck around. The name itself is more related to the film Splash than it is Song of the South.

Dear Prudence

Could always be something like Tiana's Adventure through Splash Mountain or Splash Mountain and the Frog. You join her and the gang as they adventure through the mountain in order to get to their mardi gras event.

If they keep Splash Mountain in the name, and Chapek were to name it, it would be something original like Princess and the Frog Splash Mountain.

I personally will be surprised though if it's still called Splash Mountain, but I would love it if the name at least stuck around. The name itself is more related to the film Splash than it is Song of the South.
I am just stunned by what a mess this is and how they keep falling all over themselves. TBH, even if they do change the name, I can't forsee anyone calling it by its new name, since everyone keeps continuing to call Mission Breakout Tower of Terror.

GoneForGood

I am just stunned by what a mess this is and how they keep falling all over themselves. TBH, even if they do change the name, I can't forsee anyone calling it by its new name, since everyone keeps continuing to call Mission Breakout Tower of Terror.
It is also worth noting how Splash Mountain is linked to the Disney versions of the Brers, "Splash Mountain" is quite literally the nickname/title of the now flooded Chick a Pin Hill. (As explained in the backstory of the attraction, can be read below). To call the new version Splash Mountain, would be calling Mama Odie's House/boat/tree/thing Chick a Pin hill.

It feels almost hypocritical to re-use the name. And before anyone says it. Yes, I am aware that day guests may not know or care about the backstory and whatnot, but IF they intend to keep and or "Reintroduce" the title of Splash Mountain, which is technically directly linked to the Disney Brers, then Disney could have done the work to give the Brers back to those they belong to.

But that's just my opinion, and the ball is in their playing field now.. I think they should change the name, if they want to "Be About It".

I think they can keep the "Splash" part though, something like "Tiana's Mardi Gras Splash" rolls of the tongue nicely.

Splash backstory.PNG

Dear Prudence

It is also worth noting how Splash Mountain is linked to the Disney versions of the Brers, "Splash Mountain" is quite literally the nickname/title of the now flooded Chick a Pin Hill. (As explained in the backstory of the attraction, can be read below). To call the new version Splash Mountain, would be calling Mama Odie's House/boat/tree/thing Chick a Pin hill.

It feels almost hypocritical to re-use the name. And before anyone says it. Yes, I am aware that day guests may not know or care about the backstory and whatnot, but IF they intend to keep and or "Reintroduce" the title of Splash Mountain, which is technically directly linked to the Disney Brers, then Disney could have done the work to give the Brers back to those they belong to.

But that's just my opinion, and the ball is in their playing field now.. I think they should change the name, if they want to "Be About It".

I think they can keep the "Splash" part though, something like "Tiana's Mardi Gras Splash" rolls of the tongue nicely.

View attachment 590505
Does the backstory come from the WDW version? Because I think the DL one is different and linked to Tom Sawyer Island, the ghosts of Haunted Mansion, etc.

GoneForGood

Does the backstory come from the WDW version? Because I think the DL one is different and linked to Tom Sawyer Island, the ghosts of Haunted Mansion, etc.
Oh? I'd like to hear more of that!
The snippet I shared is the story for WDW's version, however it was posted in honor of DL's on the parks blog!
The WDW one features a moonshine still bursting a dam. I didn't know they had two different stories!

Dear Prudence

Oh? I'd like to hear more of that!
The snippet I shared is the story for WDW's version, however it was posted in honor of DL's on the parks blog!
The WDW one features a moonshine still bursting a dam. I didn't know they had two different stories!
Yeah, I had never heard or seen anything about the lore until you posted it. There's some in the narration audio for the Mark Twain at Disneyland. Wasn't there a book or something, too?

GoneForGood

Yeah, I had never heard or seen anything about the lore until you posted it. There's some in the narration audio for the Mark Twain at Disneyland. Wasn't there a book or something, too?
I recall DL mark twain mentioning "Music in it's caves and laughter in it's falls" at some point in the past. They've changed the narration a couple of times. I'll be looking into this more..

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"Splash Mountain" was a marketing shtick so as to be on par with 'Space Mountain' in branding. The backstory was made up to try to justify the name. Poorly.

Just try to imagine being throwing a rabbit off of a *mountain's* waterfall so that said rabbit lands in a bush. The fall down the flume is supposed to represent being tossed into the briar patch. Not going over an actual waterfall. But that gets put into the backstory to justify 'Mountain' in the name of the ride. It certainly doesn't look like a mountain.

The purity test for Tiana's retheme which says that there isn't a tall enough *mountain* in the New Orleans area to justify her ride being 'a mountain' is laughable considering the history of calling a small hill a mountain. A moniker that started out as just a marketing ploy.

GoneForGood

"Splash Mountain" was a marketing shtick so as to be on par with 'Space Mountain' in branding. The backstory was made up to try to justify the name. Poorly.

Just try to imagine being throwing a rabbit off of a *mountain's* waterfall so that said rabbit lands in a bush. The fall down the flume is supposed to represent being tossed into the briar patch. Not going over an actual waterfall. But that gets put into the backstory to justify 'Mountain' in the name of the ride. It certainly doesn't look like a mountain.

The purity test for Tiana's retheme which says that there isn't a tall enough *mountain* in the New Orleans area to justify her ride being 'a mountain' is laughable considering the history of calling a small hill a mountain. A moniker that started out as just a marketing ploy.
It's not just in the backstory, though. Brer Frog and his grandkids quote it in the queue as their location. "A Splash Mountain Brer Rabbit story" "I remember this one time on Splash Mountain...."

Perhaps that's how the name of the attraction came to be, but it was quickly assimilated into the story. Its no longer just some made up name, now they've used the title in reference to the Brer's home- it is an active part of the narrative. Keeping the name is awkward and would make no sense.

Disney is more creative than that. I expect more out of them.

I'd have a feeling the backstory would have been the same if the attraction's name was still Zip A Dee River Run.

Dear Prudence

No one said this was a purity test. We were talking about the fun lore than has come out about the attraction since its opening because this is a *checks title of the thread* a Splash Mountain discussion thread. We are discussing the attraction in its current form. Both Brer Country and I are aware of its history and its marketing ploys. The WDW lore is elaborate and I'd never heard of it, so Brer Country was nice enough to break it down for me. It was similar to the promotional material that came with The Country Bears.

Considering that Brer Country has raised these concern about there not being a mountain in or near NOLA because he is a *check notes* a BIPOC who lives there and has stated discomfort and skepticism. Considering that Brer Country and I are both BIPOC with Brer cultural ties, and 1. Were discussing things that were and are relevant to the attraction in its current form, 2. Would like its replacement to not just be sloppy and lazy, there's no reason interject on what had been a interesting and agreeable exchange.

Last edited:

No Name

this makes it seem like they are not changing the name? Like this is all so clumsy, they are a mess.
Well I see no reason to change the name considering it is still a mountain and you get splashed. Splash Mountain. It’s beautifully simple and the real clumsy mess will be the new name they come up with.

Dear Prudence

Well I see no reason to change the name considering it is still a mountain and you get splashed. Splash Mountain. It’s beautifully simple and the real clumsy mess will be the new name they come up with.
It doesn't bother me either way if they change it or not. It's that this company is hopelessly inept and they're not even trying to hide it.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

Agreed. Keep it as-is or do one of the more recent Disney traits of adding a ":" followed by the ride's premise or some other attribute to clue in park guests as to the overlay's theme, plot, locale, celebratory event, magicial synonym or action verb.

Princess Tiana's Splash Mountain or Splash Mountain: Mardi Gras "Blah Blah"

It seems the most natural if not a tad generic. It's better than giving it an entirely different name that no one will like. Plus in doing so the park will get to retain it's iconic "mountain" status and possibly even the Splash Mountain typeface with a few modifications. Anything else is just insulting to the fans. I could see them keeping the original name if only to make the overlay more satisfactual to die hard Splash fans. That said, I'd have probably put money on it being Splash Mountain: Mardi Gras Soirée were it not for the fact that Disney is unlikely to use a word that guests might be unable to pronounce. Disney's got an uphill battle regardless of what name they choose.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
FWIW, the logo with a few modifications pretty much works. I'd hate to lose the stylized logo. It's not a 1:1 match to the PatF "frog" font but it could be forgiven if supported by the actual PatF fonts elsewhere in the signage. A color shift and a reworked "O" and you're nearly golden. All that's missing is the glittery firefly trail swooshes, mardi-gras bead accents and an obligatory Tiana somewheres.

smlogorevision.png

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

FWIW, the logo with a few modifications pretty much works. I'd hate to lose the stylized logo. It's not a 1:1 match to the PatF "frog" font but it could be forgiven if supported by the actual PatF fonts elsewhere in the signage. A color shift and an a reworked "O" and you're nearly golden. All that's missing is the glittery firefly trail swooshes, mardi-gras bead accents and an obligatory Tiana somewheres.

View attachment 590683
Can Disney hire you? I am serious. You've done more brilliant work in less than a day than they've done in over a year. You make it make sense. This looks great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom