News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Ghost93

View attachment 586268

Sad that Japan got merch like this while America never did.

Song of the South got a home video release in Japan in the 80s and 90s and the movie is in the public domain there. They probably sold Splash Mountain merch because people in Japan were more familiar with the Brer characters. Whereas in America, the Brer characters gradually faded from the public consciousness after the 80s.

Animaniac93-98

Earlier this month was the first time I went to Disneyland after the change was announced.

If you don't follow certain twitter accounts or blogs, you'd have no idea that this was happening. I overheard many guests having conversations along the lines of "they're changing it?", "yeah to Princess and the Frog" etc. The ride continues to operate and there is no signs or anything in the park itself talking about what's to come. Show quality was a mixed bag and varied day-to-day, but I saw the Br'er Rabbit on the train cart going back and forth! Both the RR and Mark Twain narrations still mention the ride.

I didn't look for merch, though I saw one penny press that had an option with the Br'ers.

Due to the hot weather, the ride was consistently among the most popular in the park. Thousands were clearly eager to ride without ever thinking about it being "problematic". It seems a stretch to say that Disney's guests would be up in arms if this was ever cancelled when many don't even know about the change or why it's happening.

LittleBuford

Thousands were clearly eager to ride without ever thinking about it being "problematic".
I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that most visitors see nothing problematic in the attraction. One can support (or understand the rationale for) the retheme and still accept that the majority of guests aren't aware of any issues with the ride in its current form.

Last edited:

Kirby86

Earlier this month was the first time I went to Disneyland after the change was announced.

If you don't follow certain twitter accounts or blogs, you'd have no idea that this was happening. I overheard many guests having conversations along the lines of "they're changing it?", "yeah to Princess and the Frog" etc. The ride continues to operate and there is no signs or anything in the park itself talking about what's to come. Show quality was a mixed bag and varied day-to-day, but I saw the Br'er Rabbit on the train cart going back and forth! Both the RR and Mark Twain narrations still mention the ride.

I didn't look for merch, though I saw one penny press that had an option with the Br'ers.

Due to the hot weather, the ride was consistently among the most popular in the park. Thousands were clearly eager to ride without ever thinking about it being "problematic". It seems a stretch to say that Disney's guests would be up in arms if this was ever cancelled when many don't even know about the change or why it's happening.
I went to Disney World in August and had a similar experience. There wasn't any merchandise though.

Maelstrom to Frozen Ever After took about 2 years to do. I don't see why this would take longer than 3.

Then again, it was over 4 years ago that Ellen's Energy Adventure closed so...
To be fair 18+ months have happened in a global pandemic that we still aren’t past. Is it slow? Sure but there are some pretty big extenuating circumstances included global supply shortages and shipping issues.

Incomudro

I was being sarcastic, this should not take more than a year. From the first pencil sketch of Disneyland to the opening was 23 months.
Building a pre-planned attraction, structure, etc., can be much quicker than extensively renovating (depending on the extent of said reno) an attraction/structure that is already in place.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Screenshot_20210918-110015_Instagram.jpg

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Maelstrom to Frozen Ever After took about 2 years to do. I don't see why this would take longer than 3.

Then again, it was over 4 years ago that Ellen's Energy Adventure closed so...
Maelstrom/FEA is not quite the same scale attraction. LOL

And Ellen's Energy Adventure was completely gutted and an entire expansion building was added.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Building a pre-planned attraction, structure, etc., can be much quicker than extensively renovating (depending on the extent of said reno) an attraction/structure that is already in place.
I disagree. It should be just as complex both ways, I believe. There are equal pros and cons to both.

Kirby86

There is no argument that both scenarios are complex however when you're building an attraction from the ground up all the factors are under your control from the beginning and the showbuilding can be built to your specific needs. However when retrofitting an attraction for a retheme you are kind of stuck with what you have showbuilding and ride systems already in place unless you are doing a complete teardown on the inside. In Splash Mountains case they have to work around the Flume that limits whatever ideas they come up with

Bocabear

There is no argument that both scenarios are complex however when you're building an attraction from the ground up all the factors are under your control from the beginning and the showbuilding can be built to your specific needs. However when retrofitting an attraction for a retheme you are kind of stuck with what you have showbuilding and ride systems already in place unless you are doing a complete teardown on the inside. In Splash Mountains case they have to work around the Flume that limits whatever ideas they come up with
Yeah....but they have a pretty amazing show building and ride setup to start with...not like it is a crappy ride they are going to redress and expect stellar results. They are starting with one of the best show buildings and rides in the park...this should not be limiting at all... it is a wonderful opportunity to do something amazing...

Gran Fiesta

Sorry, I'm not really sure where to put this but when Disney world does a retheme or an overlay of a ride (Malestrom to Frozen) do they announce the last day that the ride will be in operation before closing? I really want to book a trip before Splash Mountian gets rethemed so I can ride it again and I just wanted to make sure Disney gives a hard date that it will last be open because I have never dealt with this before. Thanks

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Sorry, I'm not really sure where to put this but when Disney world does a retheme or an overlay of a ride (Malestrom to Frozen) do they announce the last day that the ride will be in operation before closing? I really want to book a trip before Splash Mountian gets rethemed so I can ride it again and I just wanted to make sure Disney gives a hard date that it will last be open because I have never dealt with this before. Thanks
They announced the date for GMR and Ellen closing, and it was on merch for the attraction's farewell. I'm more than certain they'll announce the date for Splash if it ever happens

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom