News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Actually beginning at the archway from Adventureland they could re-theme the architecture of Tortuga Tavern and Tall Tale to look like New Orleans. Turn the Outpost into a Beignet stand a-la-French Market. and create a little miniland corridor leading up to Splash It would look fresh and fun... The structures behind Splash are already sort of rural southern country and can remain as they are...add a few more touches of Bayou theming...It's kind of an easy transition...

Until you make the turn. Although I actually really like the idea of rethemeing the area leading up to Splash. It's that little bit after that's the problem. Needs to be "something" to either de-westernize Big Thunder or create a better transition leading to Big Thunder, IMO.

Last edited:

Myth Maker

One of the biggest traffic issues in this part of Magic Kingdom has to do with the two dead-ends. One at the end of Frontierland and the other and the end of Liberty Sq.

This could easily be solved by building a foot bridge over to Tom Sawyer Island. Tons of great cost savings with this idea, as they would no longer need to run boats over to Tom Sawyer island (or run the Liberty Bell). They would free up tons of traffic flow. As well as allow expansion to Frontierland on the upper island.

This idea would allow them to re-theme Splash Mountain to New Orleans Square along with Pecos BIll area, and then keep the entrance to Frontierland starting up with Big Thunder Mountain. Could park the Liberty Bell near SM as part of that theming as well.

Attachments

• Frontierland.png
    Frontierland.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 93

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
One of the biggest traffic issues in this part of Magic Kingdom has to do with the two dead-ends. One at the end of Frontierland and the other and the end of Liberty Sq.

This could easily be solved by building a foot bridge over to Tom Sawyer Island. Tons of great cost savings with this idea, as they would no longer need to run boats over to Tom Sawyer island (or run the Liberty Bell). They would free up tons of traffic flow. As well as allow expansion to Frontierland on the upper island.

This idea would allow them to re-theme Splash Mountain to New Orleans Square along with Pecos BIll area, and then keep the entrance to Frontierland starting up with Big Thunder Mountain. Could park the Liberty Bell near SM as part of that theming as well.

A swampified covered bridge at the transition point and then another "Sleepy Hollow" covered bridge near Liberty.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Until you make the turn. Although I actually really like the idea of rethemeing the area leading up to Splash. It's that little bit after that the problem. Needs to be "something" to either de-westernize Big Thunder or create a better transition leading to Big Thunder, IMO.

BTMR was already sitting next to a Deep South and Mississippi River attraction. Something tells me that Disney ain't concerned about something like that.

It's like getting used to the countries of World Showcase sitting next to each other. Or accepting a dwarven mine right outside Beast's castle.

WDW Pro

The "tree on a hill" thing seems like the weirdest thing to criticize. For one, it is the most eminent way of changing the attraction's "weenie," a must given that the core parameter here is "keep the mountain intact." There's no other thing you can pull from the movie that would fit there. You certainly wouldn't pull a building from New Orleans and plop it on. It's actually a clever solution given the limitation.

If sticking a tree on top of a structure is literally the only thing possible to tie it into its new IP, then you may have accidentally identified why the structure isn't a good fit for the IP.

jt04

BTMR was already sitting next to a Deep South and Mississippi River attraction. Something tells me that Disney ain't concerned about something like that.

It's like getting used to the countries of World Showcase sitting next to each other. Or accepting a dwarven mine right outside Beast's castle.

The MK needs to have the transitional areas in keeping with what made the parks great. For the most part they have. And it is okay to have a transition from, for instance, a European castle courtyard right next to a far flung exotic location half way around the world if that transition portal is done well. IMO.

Last edited:

champdisney

You're right. It's crazy that anyone would ever come across two large trees in their lifetime!

Next thing you know, there will be other oddities, such as *mountains* everywhere!! Even in Animal Kingdom!!!
It’s an eyesore of an oddity.

As Dr. Facilier would point out, things can 'cross on over.' And if a shade of the bad doctor can cross over... why not a beam of light from the other other side?
Yes.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Until you make the turn. Although I actually really like the idea of rethemeing the area leading up to Splash. It's that little bit after that the problem. Needs to be "something" to either de-westernize Big Thunder or create a better transition leading to Big Thunder, IMO.

Noooooooo do not touch Pecos or BTM!!!! I say leave the exterior of SM looking as is and change the interior and perhaps queue that is not as visible from main walkway..... am distressed enough they are taking away one of my favorite well themed rides....:confused: I for one want a Frontierland....not a hybrid New Orleans/ Western thingy....

Disney Glimpses

Noooooooo do not touch Pecos or BTM!!!! I say leave the exterior of SM looking as is and change the interior and perhaps queue that is not as visible from main walkway..... am distressed enough they are taking away one of my favorite well themed rides....:confused: I for one want a Frontierland....not a hybrid New Orleans/ Western thingy....
We better hope they don't change the queue or exterior too much. The budget is going to be thin and that is a lot of ground to cover.

MotherOfBirds

Does anyone else feel that if Disney waits 2-3 years to move forward with this they may just trash the whole idea? Or by then maybe give it an appropriate budget? Option 1 would obviously be a PR nightmare, but so would not giving it a proper budget, to gut this attraction for the sake of erasing the racial prejudices that come from Song of the South and then replace a great attraction with a subpar one? I don't feel anyone really has a solid idea of what Disney's next move will be with this project.

When they announced Pandora in 2011, it was pretty universally panned and we all thought that would be enough to make it quietly go away. 6 years later, Dances With Smurfs opens, its construction seemingly driven by spite for the naysayers. Whatever your opinion is on the change, it feels like backlash only encourages WDI to persevere.

Disney Glimpses

When they announced Pandora in 2011, it was pretty universally panned and we all thought that would be enough to make it quietly go away. 6 years later, Dances With Smurfs opens, its construction seemingly driven by spite for the naysayers. Whatever your opinion is on the change, it feels like backlash only encourages WDI to persevere.
True, but lack of money will make it a lot easier to ditch. 2011 attendance, at the time, was all time high. If attendance doesn't return to normal post-COVID, I don't think anything that hasn't already been started will be built, including SM.

jt04

They are already a hybrid without an effective transition.

If you travel north of N.O. you will soon intersect with the Red River which flows out of red-bed country of the southwest - not dissimilar from BTMRR. So PatF/New Orleans Square areas can easily blend these two diverse ecosystems with an imaginative transition.

Basically you could incorporate many of the best ideas from "Disney's America" theme park along the Rivers of America at the Magic Kingdom.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

Not doing anything to address transitions would be worse, IMO.

Disney Glimpses

Based on the concept art, the exterior seems to be changing quite a bit, as it no longer looks like a mountain (and honestly, shouldn't because it's New Orleans). Especially in WDW the exterior is particularly rockier than DL's version.
I wouldn't put too much stock in the concept art. It was quite clearly thrown together quickly by a mid-level Disney artist in a couple weeks. Hence, it's literally the only concept art they have offered. This was a rush job and it will likely look entirely different when completed.

My guess: Splash Mountain will be painted from red/orange rocks to more muted colors. Mama Odie's tree will be created in a warehouse by WDI for 9-12 months and eat up a good chunk of the budget. They will lift said tree on top of Splash Mountain with a crane and call it done.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
It would be nice to see them add a restaurant with Cajun and New Orleans style fare...Though it's a tight area and I am not sure it would particularly fit anywhere...
Once again, get rid of the steamboat, fill in the ditch, and repurpose the footprint into Tiana's and a Haunted Mansion restaurant complex serviced by a common kitchen.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Once again, get rid of the steamboat, fill in the ditch, and repurpose the footprint into Tiana's and a Haunted Mansion restaurant complex serviced by a common kitchen.

Getting ride of the steamboat would be the next Splash debate. A sore subject for many. The idea of dual kitchen space for Tiana's Place and a "Sleepy Hollow" inspired-restaurant sounds doable though. Still, that's a lot of land for just a couple of restaurants.

SirLink

Or build a fake steamboat like that of the Empress Lilly for a New Orleans inspired restaurant, but I? would advise they only do that if Ralph Brennan group runs it.

SirLink

Getting ride of the steamboat would be the next Splash debate. A sore subject for many. The idea of dual kitchen space for Tiana's Place and a "Sleepy Hollow" inspired-restaurant sounds doable though. Still, that's a lot of land for only 2 restaurants.

Not really its just a boat plenty of new ones which are down in New Orleans

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom