• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - attraction discussion only

Disstevefan1

I mean, what's the worst that's going to happen? It trends on twitter for a day? People cancel trips they never booked to begin with?

The ride continues to operate on a daily basis on both coasts and people keep coming to the parks. Splash has never stopped them.

There's a huge mental disconnect between the online discourse surrounding the ride and what actually happens at the parks.
Disney made the announcement. That appeased the twitter mob. The twitter mob must move on as they are busy cancelling folks. After a while when the twitter mob notices it's not done yet, Disney will simply say it is delayed due to the pandemic.

Folks will continue to make trips to the park to ride Splash for the "last" time.

The Ebay pirates continue to buy loads of Splash merch to re sell.

Disney wins. Disney always wins...

The Aracuan Bird

The issues with Song of the South don’t go away if they do nothing. They don’t go away if they do what they’re doing either, but your average person (and even hardcore Disney fan,
if this board is anything to go by) doesn’t really understand what the problem is, just that there is a problem.

Simply put, they can’t just ignore it and leave things as is. Not so long as their only film adaptation of Brer Rabbit is the 1946 controversial film. But they can’t just shun it and pretend like it never existed either. You’re just delaying the inevitable. It will likely catch up to you at some point.

If literally anyone else does a Brer Rabbit adaptation or retrospective without the racism, then Disney’s narrative that it “can’t be done without racism” or that it “can’t be detached from Song of the South” falls flat and they will be in hotter water than they were last June. I guess they’re hoping that the cultural stories will die with their theme park ride.

EagleScout610

What a wisecracker
Premium Member
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Kate F

Updating Splash is simply the right thing to do. It shouldn't be conflated with woke-ism.

If the don't want to use PatF at the MK because they don't want to update the land to make it blend in, then there are other franchise possibilities.

Making attractions that are more representative of society is an honorable goal. And overdue in the parks for sure.
You shouldn’t have to tear down Splash to make the parks more inclusive. Last I checked people of all backgrounds like the ride.

lazyboy97o

And let's who don't because the ride is offensive to them as a descendant of enslaved people. Do we ignore that too? Plus the ride isn't being torn down, but rethemed.
And what of the indigenous people of vast swaths of the Americas, including California and Florida, who were subjugated, enslaved and killed by those who brought Carnival to the Americas? The focus of the new ride is getting to a colonialist celebration.

LittleBuford

The focus of the new ride is getting to a colonialist celebration.
This belongs to the same category of argument as "But the current ride is a celebration of African American folklore", which is to say that it ignores the more immediate associations of the IPs in question in order to make it seem as if the retheme is a step backwards in terms of representation and inclusivity.

GimpYancIent

What? New Ride? Splash (the ride) will still be Splash (the ride) i.e. a log flume ride. This entire back and forth has been all about the retheme, AA's and window dressing. The actual ride (the log flume) is offensive to no one. Personally I am looking forward to see how Dr. Facilier is depicted.

lazyboy97o

This belongs to the same category of argument as "But the current ride is a celebration of African American folklore", which is to say that it ignores the more immediate associations of the IPs in question in order to make it seem as if the retheme is a step backwards in terms of representation and inclusivity.
The immediate associations? So because many don’t immediately associate Mardi Gras with the colonization of the Americas it is an okay to romanticize?

Something doesn’t have to be a step backwards to fail to meet the standards it somehow suddenly represents.

Disney Maddux

I seriously don't know what to believe anymore. I don't know if all this talk of the WDW retheme not happening is an actual possibility or if this is just a typical case of wishful thinking becoming so big it turns into a rumor. So how about I narrow down the choices?

• Retheme is happening for all parks. Disneyland and WDW to Princess and the frog, Tokyo into different IP.
  • Retheme is happening for Disneyland and WDW, Tokyo is staying the same.
  • Retheme is happening for Disneyland only, WDW and Tokyo stay the same.
  • Retheme isn't happening at all, Splash Mountain is here to stay.

LittleBuford

So because many don’t immediately associate Mardi Gras with the colonization of the Americas it is an okay to romanticize?
Perhaps there will come a time when the new theme's association with Mardi Gras is considered to be as problematic as the current theme's association with a film that romanticises plantation life. That time isn't now, however, and I think it makes more sense to address existing debates and concerns than to worry about hypothetical controversies that are nowhere on the horizon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom